Protocols For Wedding Attire

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Suzzanah

Commoner
City
Hallsville
Country
United States
I have seen the issues with Pippa's dress as it was white. It was lovely and perfectly complimentary to the wedding. It had no lace, was one color and had short sleeves. Additionally, it was a shiny fabric. There have been formal weddings that are all black and white. It is not too early in the year for white. The royal uniform coats are red the white was very acceptable with them. The designer should be commended for doing a terrific job on both gowns. Oh to have time to waste on criticizing others. When I get that much time in life I think I will be very old indeed. Do royal watchers and paparazzi have nothing better to do with their lives?

You took the words right out of my mouth. I guess some people live to disagree and criticize everything. I thought the whole wedding was beautiful

in italy white is an absolutely no-go for "bridemaids" (there are no bridemaids really, women can be chosen as "testimoni" = sort of eanglish bestman wither for the bride or the groom. most usually it is two testimoni each, a female and a male each), but judging from previous brf weddings it is quite common.
the problem, imo, shouild arise if we think that the bridemaids looked sexier and more eye-catching than the bride...

One thing I do love about Scandinavian Royal weddings is that everyone goes all out with lovely gowns, tiaras, sumptuous jewellery and the men in uniforms or formal evening dress and with Orders worn. It's not going to happen, I know, and it hasn't happened in the BRF since the 19th century, but I would absolutely love to see the BRF follow suit, just once.

I have seen the issues with Pippa's dress as it was white. It was lovely and perfectly complimentary to the wedding. It had no lace, was one color and had short sleeves. Additionally, it was a shiny fabric. There have been formal weddings that are all black and white. It is not too early in the year for white. The royal uniform coats are red the white was very acceptable with them. The designer should be commended for doing a terrific job on both gowns. Oh to have time to waste on criticizing others. When I get that much time in life I think I will be very old indeed. Do royal watchers and paparazzi have nothing better to do with their lives?

Paparazi get paid to cover the story. So no they don't have anything better to do. Fashion is an important part of any event. Its the glitz and glam of these events that get people to watch on television and to buy the magazines as well. Just because you think fashion is frivolous, it is interesting to people.

As is Custom. In most places, it is Rude to wear the same color as the bride. White is meant to be reserved for the bride. When its a royal wedding, people expect the etiquette and manners to be taken to a whole new level. In England it doesn't seem to be custom, but many of these viewers and watchers are not British and it affects how they view it plain and simple.

Guests are not meant to wear white unless a not pure white and some pattern or such to differentiate. If a Guest is thought to be able to steal attention from the bride, the maid of honor is up front, so she will draw far more attention.

One thing I do love about Scandinavian Royal weddings is that everyone goes all out with lovely gowns, tiaras, sumptuous jewellery and the men in uniforms or formal evening dress and with Orders worn. It's not going to happen, I know, and it hasn't happened in the BRF since the 19th century, but I would absolutely love to see the BRF follow suit, just once.

I agree Curryong that it is not likely to happen though like you I love seeing the gowns, tiaras etc.. The 1999 afternoon wedding of the Earl and Countess of Wessex is the only one that I recall in which there was a slight change to the dress code. The ladies wore formal evening gowns without hats. All others seem to have been morning events.

They do have, at least for Will and Kate's they did, a pre-wedding dinner. No tiaras, but there were gowns and tuxedos. Its a shame they didn't take it a step further with tiaras.:sad:

I thought that was held after the reception, and Kate had a champagne coloured silk evening gown and a fluffy cashmere bolero? They held a ball at Buckingham Palace before Charles and Diana were married, but no tiaras!

No. The Queen and Charles hosted a dinner (with her cousin the party planner Lady Anson planning it) at a London hotel. It was for the foreign royals attending the wedding. Will and Kate were not there.

Royal Prewedding Dinner in Honor of Prince William | POPSUGAR Celebrity

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Royal Fashion Awards: The Pre-Wedding Dinner

Kate wore the champagne dress at the banquet after her wedding. There was a lunch hosted by the queen, wear she wore her gown, after the carriage and balcony. They later went to Clarence house before the dinner, where Kate changed into the champagne dress, and they went back to Buckingham for the dinner and dance hosted by Charles.

Photo six here
Shop Kate Middleton Wedding Dress Lookalikes | POPSUGAR Fashion

The British often call their royal weddings the best of this and the best of that, while even the wedding of Prince Guillaume of Nassau with Countess Stéphanie de Lannoy in little Luxembourg saw more spectacle and certainly more jewels. Also the Golden and Diamond Jubilees in the UK saw no diadems. It can be a personal preference. Queen Beatrix never organized diadem events except on her very last night as Queen (the grand farewell banquet in the Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam). The new Dutch King organized diadem events for non-State Visits, like the visit of the Prince of Monaco and the visit of the King and Queen of Sweden: hoppa... the big jewels out of the cassette! Morale of the story: things can change. Maybe we will see a diadem pre-event at Harry's wedding. It also depends on the bride: when he marries a rich royal or an aristocrat bride, the chances on more glamour are apparent. The daughter of a municipal clerk will not have a family with too many sparkling heirlooms...

Last edited:
:previous:I doubt it. I don't see Harry having a fancier wedding than his brother. Both for the fact he is the younger, and its just not Harry. Also Charles is doing his best, if he is king when Harry marries which is possible, to show the pairing down of the royal family. Having a glitzy tiara event for a private wedding would defeat the image. Will's wedding was not a state event as he wasn't heir, and neither will Harry's.

I have to agree with Countessmeout that Harry's wedding will likely be a simpler affair than William's. A gala style event isn't typical for the BRF even if it occurs when Charles is King.

I think you also have to remember that having a tiara event is great if everyone who is going to be there has a tiara...if they don't you are forcing people to either rent or borrow one or go without one. Harry seems very laid back so I just can not imagine him wanting his friends or his friends wives to go out and beg, borrow or steal a tiara for a party.

Remember when, for example, the Queen of Denmark has a tiara party for her jubilee or birthday most of those invited are royals, senior officers of the court or from noble families all of whom most likely have access to a tiara.

If everyone has a tiara I can see why you'd make it a tiara event but if the vast majority of people don't have a tiara I don't think its the right thing to do.

But then again you look at royal weddings like in Sweden. CP and Sofia's wedding most recently. No one was reduced to borrowing/renting. Those who had tiaras wore them, those who didn't have them didnt wear. Just because a white tie event allows for tiaras, it certainly doesn't require wearing one either.

Back
Top Bottom