Royal Protocol and Etiquette

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I saw her in Lausanne Switzerland on the street. She looked exactly like the photos and she was beautiful. No one went near her and she was actually walking in the middle of the pedestrian street.
It is an "awkward" feeling to be so close to someone like a royal and I suppose even if someone would talk, I'd lose my voice from the emotion.....BTW I am talking about true royals:wub:

Yes I imagine, I wouldn't know what to say either, if I wasn't prepared. And even if I was I would probably feel I was asking the same questions as everybody else. I mean, they must have heard it all. Unless you have something specific to talk about.

What do you mean; true royals as opposed to what?

As opposed to those who crave the limelight.........

I see what you mean, those aren't very impressing..

I probably wouldn't approach a royal if I saw him/her out in public, because I would feel like I was invading their space. Actually, I wouldn't approach any well-known person (politician, movie star, athlete, etc.) if I saw them while out and about for the same reason. You just never know how well people are going to react to being approached like that, and I wouldn't want to upset anyone. Plus, security would probably try to hurry me away anyway.

They would feel perfectly entitled to approach you and wouldn't care if they invaded your space. Why should they be treated with more respect than you? They are not special and shouldn't be treated as such.

I would proably leave the royal alone being that are bothed by so many people.
I have talents that can use if I want to be in the limelight by using them professionally.
Now this title situation if I had a title or titles I would try to make them legal I would
have to go through a process to make the title or titles legal but I were denined I
would use that title or titles as a courstey.

They would feel perfectly entitled to approach you and wouldn't care if they invaded your space. Why should they be treated with more respect than you? They are not special and shouldn't be treated as such.

You mean you would approach anyone anywhere because you believe they are your equal? I would not dream of it. Everyone is entitled to their own space and approaching people who do not know me, just because I feel I am entitled to a chat is unthinkable to me.

I read in a British publication (I can't remember which one), that unless one is a subject of that particular royal, then one is not required to curtsy when they see a royal on the street or in another public place. I do like to think that if I had the pleasure of meeting a royal in person (i.e. if I was to be introduced to Queen Elizabeth at an event), I would still curtsy. Offering my hand would not seem polite, even though I am not her subject. Has anyone read the same thing?
A handshake is acceptable in this decadent age and is all protocol requires but a curtsey or a bow is considered particularly courteous
(Thats what we were officially told when QE2 visited Aus anyway.

You mean you would approach anyone anywhere because you believe they are your equal? I would not dream of it. Everyone is entitled to their own space and approaching people who do not know me, just because I feel I am entitled to a chat is unthinkable to me.

I don't believe I am their equal. I know that I am superior to every one of them in every aspect of life. There is no royal, politician or celebrity who is worthy of respect or even basic politeness but if I chose to approach them I would do so in a hearbeat. The point is that if a famous person or royal wanted to approach a non-royal/famous person for any reason whatsoever there is nothing in the world to protect the non-royal from the intrusion. That is equally unthinkable but it happens every day.

No, I don't like having my space invaded, which is why I try to be considerate of other's need to privacy as well. If I really didn't feel like talking to somebody, I would let them know, whether they're royal or not. However, in most cases if someone want to say hi or whatever I try to return it, just because it's the nice thing to do. It has nothing to do with thinking royals deserve more respect than me, or that I am "below" them somehow.

I don't believe I am their equal. I know that I am superior to every one of them in every aspect of life.

This is a wonderful , I guess, superiority feeling to have. It helps in life.

There is no royal, politician or celebrity who is worthy of respect or even basic politeness

I beg to differ. There are a lot who earned respect, others don't. But I cannot make a blanket statement like this.

but if I chose to approach them I would do so in a hearbeat. The point is that if a famous person or royal wanted to approach a non-royal/famous person for any reason whatsoever there is nothing in the world to protect the non-royal from the intrusion. That is equally unthinkable but it happens every day.
Since I have never been approached by the royals and the famous and have them intrude in my life, so far, I have no comment on that part of the post.:whistling:

The bowing and curtseying thing just comes in handy when one has to meet royals in official functions, I think. I don't see it as bowing to someone of a higher rank, but as a way how things are handled when meeting a royal so that nobody gets uneasy. So if you know you're going to meet with a royal there's no doubt that some palace person will drop by beforehand to fresh up the rules. It's a tradition and well, I have nothing against tradition. So me bowing to a royal doesn't make me a lesser person. It takes a lot more for me to feel like that, to be honest.

As for what to do when meeting a royal in daily life I think there's only one answer: just don't go and greet them. You don't know them and well, normally you don't go by greeting strangers all day either, so...

I do realize that I'm somewhat medieval, no worries... :lol:

I don't believe I am their equal. I know that I am superior to every one of them in every aspect of life. There is no royal, politician or celebrity who is worthy of respect or even basic politeness but if I chose to approach them I would do so in a hearbeat. The point is that if a famous person or royal wanted to approach a non-royal/famous person for any reason whatsoever there is nothing in the world to protect the non-royal from the intrusion. That is equally unthinkable but it happens every day.

Very modest too:rolleyes:

Your not suppose to put your elbows on the table when your eating very bad etiquette.I have broken myself out of this bad habit.If I ever were invited to a royal event and were seated to eat dinner with any members of a royal family I would be on my upmost best behavior and espically would not put my elbows on the table that is certainly a no no.

Some Words to be use during speaking to the royal family of Malaysia,

Patik = Me / I
Tuanku = Your Majesty / Your Highness
Junjung Kasih Tuanku = Thank You Your Majesty / Your Highness

Usually use in a function / ceremony which is held in the Istana (Palace).

The late Queen Juliana dispised protocol. There was a notorious television interview in the 80-ties with Juliana and Bernhard and when Juliana was asked about protocol she became very angry. Talking about how people were mean and used protocol as an excuse to prohibit her from doing things. SHe especially referred to an incident from her youth, when a courtier prohibited her from doing something with protocol and her mother, Queen Wilhelmina as an excuse.

Juliana was still angry about that 70 years later and raised her voice and said that she was absolutely certain that her mother would allow it, as she wanted her daughter to make fun. In the end Juliana was so angry that she was banging her fist on the table. She explained that there isn't such a thing as protocol, it simply doesn't exsist. Prince Bernhard in the mean time was smoking his pipe and clearly enjoyed his wife's tantrum, with the usual sparkle in his eyes he just had to smile.[/quote]

Yes, I remember this also. Queen Juliana was a wonderful Lady, to whom substance was of greater import than formality. She was also very gentle, caring and Loving. Queen Juliana wrote a number of poetic essays which are extraordinarily beautiful and quite spiritual.:angel:

Marie Antoinette rebelled against what she called "Madame Etiquette" and we know what happened to her. Times are different and royalty are more relaxed but I still don´t think that Prince William was called William Wales because he wanted to be, all directives come from either the parents or the palace. Princess Diana wanted him to be called this, so he was, obviously the Queen wanted Prince Charles to be addressed as HRH and so that was the way he was.

The late Queen Juliana dispised protocol. There was a notorious television interview in the 80-ties with Juliana and Bernhard and when Juliana was asked about protocol she became very angry. Talking about how people were mean and used protocol as an excuse to prohibit her from doing things. SHe especially referred to an incident from her youth, when a courtier prohibited her from doing something with protocol and her mother, Queen Wilhelmina as an excuse.

Juliana was still angry about that 70 years later and raised her voice and said that she was absolutely certain that her mother would allow it, as she wanted her daughter to make fun. In the end Juliana was so angry that she was banging her fist on the table. She explained that there isn't such a thing as protocol, it simply doesn't exsist. Prince Bernhard in the mean time was smoking his pipe and clearly enjoyed his wife's tantrum, with the usual sparkle in his eyes he just had to smile.

This is a very interesting story. Queen Juliana sounds like a feisty and modern woman. I would have liked to see this video.

This is a very interesting story. Queen Juliana sounds like a feisty and modern woman. I would have liked to see this video.

I found a couple of Juliana threads & posts for you, sgl, in case your interest is aroused... :flowers:

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f17/queen-juliana-commemorated-1909-2009-a-18574.html
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=369264&postcount=19 (this one has a couple of great pictures so that you can see who you're reading about)

Last edited:
Another thing about etiquette your not suppose to talk with your mouth full of food.
Not only is it very bad etiquette but it is also rude and disgusting as well then it is
hard to understand what your trying to say with all of that food in your mouth.This too is more of not something to do ten times over.

:previous:
That's not "Royal Protocol and Etiquette", it's just basic good manners in any situation.

Well, yeah! Princess Letizia rarely wears something different, does she?

I have not been back to this thread for some time but I have to answer this, I said "there was a time". I have lived in Cascais at the same time as the exiled Spanish royal family (that was way way back) whenever I visited their house I was always warned not wear pants. At that time I don´t think Letizia was even born. Many many years have passed for goodness` gracious, now they all wear them....... although in Spanish circles there was a lot of tattling in private about the outfit Letizia wore for the engagement presentation - although she looked stunning in that white trouser suit.

in the party for charles' 60th birthday: has anyone noticed how some ladies seem to be sitting in the left side of the car, while the spanish royals sat on the right? cristina seemed to have changed side when leaving. i just looked it up and it seems that the second-priority seats behind the chauffeur. does this mean the spanish royals were the incorrect ones - however, this is confusing as cristina seems to have sat in the second-priority seat when leaving - perhaps spanish protocol is different?)

Good basic ettiquette should be taught to everyone at school and adhered to throughout life - saying please and thank you, being polite and well mannered and baiscally showing some degree of respect when meeting people. If you're brought up with it you should have no problem when meeting royalty and should be relaxed and enjoy the experience. With regard to touching royalty, this should never be done to anyone you meet for the first time - would you hug a stranger in the street? Of course not so hands of the Queen!

in the party for charles' 60th birthday: has anyone noticed how some ladies seem to be sitting in the left side of the car, while the spanish royals sat on the right? cristina seemed to have changed side when leaving. i just looked it up and it seems that the second-priority seats behind the chauffeur. does this mean the spanish royals were the incorrect ones - however, this is confusing as cristina seems to have sat in the second-priority seat when leaving - perhaps spanish protocol is different?)

Do you think that it may be due to the difference in the position of the driver's seat? I think that cars in Spain are similar to cars in France and the US-the driver is positioned on the left-hand side of the car. Perhaps the Spanish royals always seat their ladies on the same side as the driver?

Royal Protocol in the palaces of Dubai

Hello

I am new here and looking for some help with my research.

I need to find out about protocol and etiquette in the royal palaces of UAE in particular Dubai.

Can any one help or suggest where i might find out?

thank you.

Clare

Russian Court

Can anyone tell me where I can find information on etiquette concerning the Russian royal court or is royal etiquette pretty similar?

Protocol Relating to "The War of the Roses"

A question: Is there a protocol for displaying of roses at a function inwhich the Royal family willbe in attendance?

Specifically, Red roses and White roses, do the rose colors need to be separated into differant containers/arrangements? Is there a correct positioning of the individual colors? example: red on Left, white on right?

I've been told that the two colors cannot be in the same container.

This is a curiosity of mine as I do flower arrangements, and respect protocol.

i want to know the royal etiquette in Norway . i have read that is the same of England isn't true?

where do i find the norwegian royal protocol?

I have a question regarding dress codes. I've noticed that several royal ladies from the past wear a long evening glove on their left hand, but their right arm is bare. Does anyone know the significance behind this? I'm rather curious. This is especially prominent in Russian royalty, but I've seen it on British royalty, too.

Back
Top Bottom