Royal Protocol and Etiquette

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
She was considered official enough to be included in the statevisit from Luxembourg :) I think it might have been another reason that she didn't take part in the NYC :)

Well reading back over the thread, posters seem to think it was because she wasn't "officially" a member. However her sisters wedding was near to the NYC, so I can imagine she was spennding her last new year in Oz.

Hi Scotslass,

Your son sounds very intelligent...

He may be interested in this:
In Russia 1894, when Czar Alexander III died, there were elaborate funeral ceremonies befitting a deceased monarch.
His son's (Nicholas II) fiance, Alix of Hesse, was treated with full honours as befitting a consort.
Bereavement was suspended for a day, a week after the funeral for the wedding of Nicholas and Alix (now Alexandra Feodorovna). It was a scaled down wedding ceremony and the bride was ever after referred to as "The Funeral Bride" and comments like: "She wed following a coffin"...

Larry

Thank you very much.

Thank you all. I'm not sure he's precocious, he just tends to get very "into" subjects and wants to know everything about it yesterday! His favoured phrase is "right, thank you......now what would happen if x happened instead of y?"

Thank you Larry - that is bound to interest him and will perhaps remove Prince Charles' marriage from top spot for a while.

...not every fiancee gets treated as an "official" member. When Princess Mary became engaged to Prince Frederik she didn't attend the New Years Court celebrations because she wasn't considered "official". All depends on the family.
And Máxima didn't attend Prinsjesdag in 2000 but watched the procession from a Window but in all other Events she was included.

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqrpLzZZXFs&feature=player_embedded
I am wondering about what I saw in this video. Former Polish President Aleksander Kwasniewski is sharing a hug with Juan Carlos I of Spain. As he was the President, he was of equal rank with the King and as a former President he remains his VIP status, but he is no longer of eqaul rank. What's more, I thought only royal relatives can hug each other and kiss each other cheaks when welcoming, but not a King and a former President...

No one answered #142 above: I imagine *real* nobles with titles use these titles quite subtly--it would be seen as a crest on note paper or on a door or something like that. They wouldn't write it out when they, for example, signed credit card slips and they wouldn't go around correcting people as in "No, it's not Mr Cavendish, I'm a Duke, actually, you're supposed to call me 'Your Grace'". That would be undignified and would seem like the speaker was insecure and defensive. Real nobles probably have too much self-confidence and are secure enough in their own identity to need to proclaim their title all the time.

Hello all I'm new here just setting up. I did happen to see Miss Maggys comment about post 142.
Actually you are half right , and please understand this is a subjective topic.
I can't find the original post but depending on circumstances a titled person may correct someone who addresses them as 'mr' or 'ms' or whatever.
You can do it very quietly and nicely but my rule of thumb is to do it only if I anticipate an ongoing acquaintance with the person. In this case one presumes they would want to be correct.
Also, I find that in the UK and on the continent people take to this more than they do in the US where titles aren't used.
I hope this helps!

I just read that the protocol for the Spanish monarchy to meet with the Pope requires that the Queen can only be dressed in white (if she chooses), but all other royal women (princess, infantas) should wear black including the long spanish head covering "mantilla". where is the origin of this tradition, does anybody know?

So how do nobles/royals employ their titles? I'm really more interested in ranks below King/Queen or Prince/Princess...
My favorite actor is a CBE( Commander of the British Empire) When I wrote a fan letter to him, the only mention I had to make of his title was to put CBE next to his name on the outside of the envelope while addressing it. His stationary did not have CBE on it. The only times he uses his title are to promote the causes he supports. Groups list him as thier patron like this: Patron: Mr. ( his name),CBE. So he seems very down to earth.

I have seen sample invitations from the Queen of Britain before in books. If she is inviting a Lord/Baron, Lady/Baroness the word Lord, Lady, Baroness, or Baron would appear before thier name. If she is inviting a Knight or a Dame then the word Sir or Dame, would appear before thier name, with the correct abbreviation of their order after thier name. For Commanders and lower ( of any order) it is simply Mr./Miss/Mrs. before thier name and the abbreviation of thier order afterward.

Dinner Protocol

Prince Albert was just visiting Palm Beach and there was a dinner party given for him. If his sister Caroline had been invited as well which one takes precedence. Albert is only a Serene Highhness and sister Caroline who as Princess of Hanover is an HRH and outranks him by Gotha rules. Does this mean Ms Wigstock (Albert's intended) has to curtsy to Caroline and call her ma'm. Even though Albert is a Head of State who goes into dinner first.

In this example their styles are irrelevant. Under both Gotha rules and standard protocol Prince Albert II is a Head of State and therefore has precedence.

Rules/Etiquette at court

I'd very much like to learn of the court rules of Tudor and Elizabethan periods as well as any others. I'd like to know what titles were used, how people would be addressed, the rules for meeting a member of the royal household, etc. When and for whom to bow and/or curtsy. How to enter and leave a room. Etiquette at mealtime....etc. I'm working on a theatre project and I could really use as much help as anyone can offer! Thank you SO much for any advice/information you can share!

Google "Life at the Court of" and you'll find plenty of books and webpages dealing with this topic.
Hope this helps! :flowers:

Help with a close friends and aids addressing a royal

I'm writing a novel about a prince in a pretend European country of my own imagination but I want to be true to royal protocol -- even though it varies from country to country.

What would a Crown Prince's aid call him? They grew up together, so I think he'd call him by his first name unless they were in public or a formal situation?

What do you all think? Should he be called "sir" even in private?

Rachel

Probably depends on the age of your crown prince and how formal the protocol is in your fictional country.
With Prince Charles it would have been "Sir", with William it may well be "Wills" if no one else is around but even then that may be a stretch if they are in the office and discussing business.

Yes , depend you crown prince age , i agree :cool:
but i think if any age your crown prince you must call "Sir"

In reality, I am not sure that a close friend of a crown prince growing up would later become his aid. Royal staff tend to be drawn from the military or work their way up from footmen rather than friends with whom the royal was brought up. I can't imagine any of my friends wanting to become my aid, much less call me Sir. Friends are friends and staff are staff!

However, if a friend of a crown prince found himself in the position of needing a job as aid, he would have to maintain the usual protocols and he is likely to know that anyway!

Thank you so much! So, his aid can be from the service staff. Thank you!

Rachel

And just how did this gentleman become the "UK's leading expert on etiquette and royal protocol". Was there a contest or perhaps a royal appointment? My guess would be self appointment.

And just how did this gentleman become the "UK's leading expert on etiquette and royal protocol". Was there a contest or perhaps a royal appointment? My guess would be self appointment.
this is a really good question, I wonder if anybody here have some more information?????

:previous:
"Self-described" it is.

Here's his web page: William Hanson, the UK's Leading Etiquette & Royal Protocol Expert | William Hanson
"William is widely regarded as the UK’s youngest trusted authority on etiquette and protocol."
He was born in 1989.

...and one of his proudest moments:
"In January 2012, William helped set the Guinness World Record for the 'Longest Curtsey Relay in 5 Minutes' in New York, thus making him the world's first World Record Breaking etiquette expert."

:)

I´m new here and have a (stupid ?) doubt: why royal guests never wear their tiaras at british royal weddings ? Google could not help me in this. Thank you.

I´m new here and have a (stupid ?) doubt: why royal guests never wear their tiaras at british royal weddings ? Google could not help me in this. Thank you.

:previous:
Because it was morning wedding :).If it was afternoon wedding then, that would be white tie event and we can see tiaras and evening/long dress :flowers:

British royal weddings are usually morning events so a tiara would be inappropriate, also even for an afternoon wedding it just is not part of our tradition. Scandinavia seems to be the only place where white tie and tiaras are the norm for royal weddings.

British royal weddings are usually morning events so a tiara would be inappropriate, also even for an afternoon wedding it just is not part of our tradition. Scandinavia seems to be the only place where white tie and tiaras are the norm for royal weddings.
Only if the wedding cermony takes place late in the afternoon so that it's followed by a dinner, for example the wedding between Victoria and Daniel. The wedding between king Carl Gustaf and Silvia began at noon and was not a white tie wedding, the female guests wore long dresses and hats.

Protocol during State visits

The most thrilling part for me during a State visit is the Protocol.
And who receives the visiting Head of State at airport and where does the host Head of State meet him and where is the full military salute presented and all..

For example, I know in Denmark and Spain QMII/KJCI receive them personally at the airport and military salute is presented there itself.
Whereas in UK/Luxembourg/Norway, the PoW/HGD/CP receive them at airport/port and QEII/GDH/KHV receive them at the palaces, where the military salute is presented.
In Republics, it is more or less the same.
In Russia, the President receives the visiting HoS not even at the entrance of kremlin, but exactly in middle of some hallway.
In India, the Deputy Foreign Minister receives them at airport, whereas Prez, Vice Prez, PM, Foregn Minister receive them at a very colourful full blown military reception in Rashtrapati Bhawan (Prez Palace)

I have not seen any State visits to Belgium and Netherlands..Anyone knows the protocol in these two countries?

Add ur info and views regarding protocol in other monarchies, as well as republics
But I find State banquets are almost same in all countries.

Back
Top Bottom