Non-British Styles and Titles

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lord Sosnowitz

Aristocracy
City
Budapest
Country
Hungary
All royal wifes bear their husbands full title?

For example:
HRH Countess of Wessex: is Princess of UK of GB & Viscountess of Severn, too?
HRH Grand Duchess of Luxembourg: is Duchess of Nassau, Countess of Sayn, Königstein, Katzenelnbogen & Dieza, Viscountess of d'Hammerstein, etc.
HSH Fürstin of Liechtenstein: is Duchess of Troppau & Jägerndorf hercege
HI & RH Princess Astrid of Belgium: is Archduchess & Princess Imperial of Austria-Erste, Princess Royal of Hungary, Bohemia

And when the wife has got higher rank than her husband?
Hereditary Princess of Liechtenstein HRH or HSH?
I think HRH, because the wifes bear their ranks & styles after the marriages, I think.

i still do not understand
do you state that all royal wifes bear their husbands full title and want help to list them all

does not all women bear the husbands title if he is a royal

Last edited:
Sorry
I just list some royal ladies, but I don't know that it is correct titles.ű
These are examples.

I know about Earl and Countess of Wessex both create title since got married in June 1999 but Sophie known as Countess of Wessex and Edward known as Earl of Wessex.

Prince Charles and late Diana,Princess of Wales been married in 1981 but both create as Prince and Princess of Wales before got married in July 1981 but both got divorces in August 1996 Diana known as Diana,Princess of Wales.

Princess Anne known as Princess Royal but i dont know why as recall from past Princess Royal to current Princess Royal.

Prince Andrew and Sarah,Duchess of York been married in July 1986 i think so but both create titles as Duke and Duchess of York before got married both got separate in 1992 following taboids and divorces in 1996 but Sarah known as Sarah,Duchess of York.

Sara Boyce

Thanks Sara!

But I think, that Countess of Wessex is Princess of United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, and Viscountess of Severn (of course Her Royal Highness), isn't she?

When Sophie Rhys-Jones married Prince Edward, I believe she rejected the title "Princess".

Sophie's title

When Prince Edward and Sophie Rhys-Jones got married in 1999 - Queen Elizabeth II created the styles of Earl of Wessex and Viscount Severn for Prince Edward, and Sophie became the Countess of Wessex. They are both HRH's.

As you might know, it was also descided that their children will not get the titile of HRH, only the courtesy titles that are for the son or daughter of an Earl. Therefore, their firstborn is known as Lady Louise Windsor.

Yes, but I think she is a princess as Princess Alice, same situation, I think.
And what about Grand Duchess Maria-Teresa? She is Duchess of Nassau, Countess of Sayn, Königstein, Katzenelnbogen & Dieza, Viscountess of d'Hammerstein, etc., too?

I guess she can be addressed as "Princess", however, she is addressed, more often than not, as HRH the Countess of Wessex.

The Countess of Wessex is Princess Edward of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, Countess of Wessex, and Viscountess Severn. She is not a princess in her own right. Princess Alice was created a princess at the time of her husband's death to distinguish her from her daughter-in-law Birgitte. (BTW, Birgitte is Princess Richard of Great Britain and Ireland).

This dispersion of titles is the same in Denmark and Greece (ex: Crown Prince Pavlos). Princess Alexandra of Denmark was created a princess in her own right by Queen Margrethe.

In the Netherlands, the royal wives bear the titles of their husbands.

In Belgium, both Mathilde and Claire were made princesses in the own right.

I'm not sure about Spain, Sweden, Norway.

Sophie's title

Sophie is NOT a Princess (in her own right) - she is HRH The Countess of Wessex! This was the style that Queen Elizabeth II created for her at her marriage to one of her sons. I think her titles are (not in her own right): HRH The Princess Edward, Countess of Wessex, Viscountess Severn.

Princess Alice, The Duchess of Gloucester, on the other hand - is another matter. She was born in a different era, and was already the daughter of a Duke when she was married. When her husband, The Duke of Gloucester, died in 1974, she became known as Princess Alice, Duchess of Gloucester to distinguish herself from her daughter-in-law who is now the new Duchess of Gloucester.

Last edited:
mybags said:

In Norway the King decides. It would be uncommon that the wife of the crown prince at least would not be a crown princess. (On the other hand we've only had three crown princesses...) Norway does not have nobility, as it was abolished some time ago, so the titles of the Crown Prince/Princess, are simply HRH Crown Prince Haakon of Norway, and HRH Crown Princess Mette-Marit of Norway.

And since there haven't been any other males in the line since 1905 than the one male heir in each generation, there's been no discussion about what titles the wives of princes not first in line to the throne should be styled. This discussion might come up if Ingrid Alexandra gets a brother, or it might not come up at all.

In Sweden, it is also Monarch that descides about titles for members of the Royal Family. There has been a lot of discussion about the titles of the coming husbands of Crown Princess Victoria and Princess Madeleine, and also of Prince Carl Philip. No one know how it will be until the day of the announcement for it comes...

moosey60 said:
When Sophie Rhys-Jones married Prince Edward, I believe she rejected the title "Princess".

the Wessexes got married in June 19,1999 but both still good married for 5 years but both had one daughter Lady Louise Wessex who is 8 month old but Sophie Wessex still obey her mother in law all the times since she got married to her husband she said "I DO"

Sara Boyce

Lord Sosnowitz said:
Thanks Sara!

But I think, that Countess of Wessex is Princess of United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, and Viscountess of Severn (of course Her Royal Highness), isn't she?

that not correct!

Sophie still as Countess! but she not as PRINCESS! because she and Edward makes create titles since got engagement and before wedding but the couple would agree to become Earl and Countess of Wessex many Royal families know Earl and Countess of Wessexes in Great Britian all the times!

Sara Boyce

mybags said:
The Countess of Wessex is Princess Edward of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, Countess of Wessex, and Viscountess Severn. She is not a princess in her own right. Princess Alice was created a princess at the time of her husband's death to distinguish her from her daughter-in-law Birgitte. (BTW, Birgitte is Princess Richard of Great Britain and Ireland).

This dispersion of titles is the same in Denmark and Greece (ex: Crown Prince Pavlos). Princess Alexandra of Denmark was created a princess in her own right by Queen Margrethe.

In the Netherlands, the royal wives bear the titles of their husbands.

In Belgium, both Mathilde and Claire were made princesses in the own right.

that alright with your posts

Prince Felipe and his new bride makes create as Prince and Princess of Austria since got married.And im not sure about Prince Haakon and his wife have create as title? when got married in 2001.

Crown Prince Phillipe and his wife Crown Princess Mathilde of Belguim have no create as title! and Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden.

Sara Boyce

The Countess of Wessex, the Duchess of Gloucester, the Duchess of Kent, and Princess Michael of Kent are Princesses of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland because all of their husbands are princes. If you wanted to address then using the title princess you would say, for example, Princess Edward (reffering to the Countess of Wessex) because she is not a princess in her own right. This is the reason Princess Michael of Kent is called Princess Michael, she is not a princess in her own right and she doesn't have a title like the Countess of Wessex or the Duchesses of Kent and Gloucester, so she is known as Princess Michael instead of Princess Marie-Christine (which she would be called if she was a princess in her own right). If Prince Edward wasn't made Earl of Wessex, etc. for his wedding, Sophie would be known as Princess Edward.

On the other hand, Princess Anne, the Princess Royal, Princess Beatrice of York, Princess Eugenie of York, Princess Alexandra of Kent, and Princess Alice, Duchess of Gloucester, are all Princess of the United Kingdom of Great Birtain and Northern Ireland in their own right, that is why their names are used after "princess..."

Last edited:
Princess? Alice

A.C.C. said:
On the other hand, Princess Anne, the Princess Royal, Princess Beatrice of York, Princess Eugenie of York, and Princess Alice, Duchess of Gloucester, are all Princess of the United Kingdom of Great Birtain and Northern Ireland in their own right, that is why their names are used after "princess..."
I remember reading that Princess Marina, who was born a Princess, and Princess Alice, Countess of Athlone were unhappy that the Dowager Duchess of Gloucester was permitted to be known as Princess Alice. Their reasoning was that she was only entitled to be known as Princess Henry or Dowager Duchess of Gloucester as she was not and never had been a Princess in her own right.

Does anyone know if she was made a Princess after her husbands death and, if so, was this done by Letters Patent?

wymanda said:
I remember reading that Princess Marina, who was born a Princess, and Princess Alice, Countess of Athlone were unhappy that the Dowager Duchess of Gloucester was permitted to be known as Princess Alice. Their reasoning was that she was only entitled to be known as Princess Henry or Dowager Duchess of Gloucester as she was not and never had been a Princess in her own right.

Does anyone know if she was made a Princess after her husbands death and, if so, was this done by Letters Patent?

I believe Princess Alice was made a princess in her own right after her husband's death to distinguish her from her daughter-in-law, the new Duchess of Gloucester, that way Alice wouldn't have to be known as the Dowager Duchess of Gloucester (Princess Marina, Duchess of Kent, was also never known as Dowager Duchess). I have read that Princess Alice, the Countess of Athlone wasn't happy about this as you wrote, but Princess Marina was dead by the time Prince Henry died. I don't know how Princess Alice was created a princess in her own right or how it is done.

Mathilde,Claire and Maxima were made a princess in their own right.That means that they can use their title in case of divorce?

I have still a question concerning the Countess of Wessex.
At the time of their wedding it was also decided that Edward will become the Duke of Edinburgh when his father dies.Sophie therfor becomes the Duchess of Edinburgh,so will she use this title or will she always use Countess of Wessex?

liv said:
Mathilde,Claire and Maxima were made a princess in their own right.That means that they can use their title in case of divorce?

I have still a question concerning the Countess of Wessex.
At the time of their wedding it was also decided that Edward will become the Duke of Edinburgh when his father dies.Sophie therfor becomes the Duchess of Edinburgh,so will she use this title or will she always use Countess of Wessex?

I think so!

Sophie Wessex will still as Countess but her father in law will dies they she will become Duchess of Edinburgh but she still as Countess of Wessex of course but she not Princess! i read your posts that not correct what im talking about it! but Princess Diana have her title before! but Diana known as Diana,Princess of Wales you know im talking about it!

Crown Princess Mathilde of Belguim,Crown Princess Maxima of Netherlands have rights about married and if divorces they Mathilde would known as Mathilde,Princess of Belguim and Maxima will known as Maxima,Princess of Netherlands and also Princess Claire if she got divorce she will known as Claire,Princess of Belguim many Royals woman will stripe as HRH like Princess Diana acceptance for stripped titles in 1996 but many people still as Princess Diana of course or Diana,Princess of Wales no matters for Princess Diana.and also Sarah,Duchess of York

Sara Boyce

Are the wives of any German Princes known as Princess (Their first name) or must they take their husband's name as their own?

If Prince Phillip predeceases Queen Elizabeth the title, Duke of Edinburgh, will not immediately go to Prince Edward. Prince Charles will instead inherit it since the dukedom (like most dukedoms) passes to the heirs male (which is Prince Charles). Edward will have to wait until Prince Charles becomes King and the title merges with the crown again. Then Charles can grant Edward the title. If Charles is already King when Phillip passes then the title immediately reverts back to the crown and Charles can regrant the title to Edward.

Once Edward and Sophie have attained the title(s) Duke and Duchess of Edinburgh these are the titles they will use since it is the more senior title. I.e.… Duke outranks Earl.

Princess Diana was never Diana’s proper title. In all technicality Diana should never have been referred to as Princess Diana since she was not a Princess in her own right. She was called Princess Diana due to popular mistake. Simply being, it was easier for the public and the press to refer to her that way. That way nobody had to bother with all the proper protocol as far as titles and styles go. At her birth she was only the Honourable Diana Spencer since her father was still just a Viscount. When he became the 8th Earl Spencer she became Lady Diana Spencer. Lady being the courtesy title of an Earl’s daughter. Upon her marriage until her divorce she was (properly) known as Her Royal Highness The Princess of Wales. Upon her divorce she was Diana, Princess of Wales.

Sophie is The Countess of Wessex.I haven't heard that anyone called her Princess Sophie.In the British Monarchy Page,they also call them HRH Earl and Countess of Wessex.

royals titles

Princess Diana was never Diana’s proper title. In all technicality Diana should never have been referred to as Princess Diana since she was not a Princess in her own right. She was called Princess Diana due to popular mistake. Simply being, it was easier for the public and the press to refer to her that way. That way nobody had to bother with all the proper protocol as far as titles and styles go. At her birth she was only the Honourable Diana Spencer since her father was still just a Viscount. When he became the 8th Earl Spencer she became Lady Diana Spencer. Lady being the courtesy title of an Earl’s daughter. Upon her marriage until her divorce she was (properly) known as Her Royal Highness The Princess of Wales. Upon her divorce she was Diana, Princess of Wales.

I copy your posts but i knew about Diana's biography! but Diana known as Diana,Princess of Wales but she stripped as titles "HRH" from HRH Queen but she is no longer member of Royal Family but she is daughter of Earl Spencer but her dad is friend of HM Queen and her grandmother been lady-in waiting and friend of HM Queen Mother but many people and kids loved Princess Diana lots since she divorces from Prince Charles in 1996 they later she reunited Prince Charles for William's church in 1997 after divorce before one years of divorces and before Diana's last day.

Sara Boyce

I don't recall her being a Princess in her own right! I know however that she is a Duchess in her own right through her father, as a Duchess in Bavaria, the former German state. Am I correct?

Mary is not a Princess in her own right either! :( Unlike Maxima, Mathildhe and Claire. I don't believe that Matte-Marit is either.

I don't believe that the new wives or sorry future wives of the Greek Princes will be either. Being that Marie-Chantal isn't a Princess in her own right although she calls herself Princess Marie-Chantal of Greece. This is a confusing issue however, because the Greek Royal website has her as both Crown Princess Pavlos and Princess Marie-Chantal. I don't think that even Konstantinos can give titles to his family members!

Back
Top Bottom