The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-05-2007, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan View Post
Under the Coat of Arms on British Royal stationary, it says "Buckingham Palace". On my letter from the Duchess of Cornwall, it said, "Clarence House".
When I looked at different samples on the Internet it showed the typical British Royal Residences alternating. So I assume when the Queen is at Buckingham, Windosr Castle, or Balmoral Castle it changes.

Old 09-05-2007, 08:36 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advait View Post
That did not really help me too much. I did want to know other than the Queen.

My main question was if the current palace or residence the Queen or King of a country is presently in is always put below the coat of arms or monogram in a letter FROM an monarch.
Well, an expression of appreciation for other members attempts to help might result in more people taking the trouble to do likewise.

Old 09-05-2007, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress View Post
Well, an expression of appreciation for other members attempts to help might result in more people taking the trouble to do likewise.
I felt like his answer was simply to correct me on my use of HRM rather than answer the question. He corrected me without answering either of my questions. I was not trying to be rude by saying he did not help, but he did not. I am not the one being rude, I feel like it is an answer many people could answer simply with kindness instead of refusing to answer and be rude.

I apologize if I offended anyone or broke any forum etiquette unknown to me as an new user.

Even your answer though was just to correct me on something you say I did wrong. Why will anyone not just answer the question with their expertise? Please?
Old 09-06-2007, 11:06 AM
Imperial Majesty

Probably because not everybody has seen the thread. I hope you've noticed that Beatrixfan did in fact give you an answer. However, as Empress pointed out, if your response to answers that don't directly address the question are dismissive rather than appreciative for at least having tried to help, you might find that other people simply won't bother. I'll PM a couple of our experts and ask them to have a look at the thread.
Old 09-06-2007, 11:35 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
When I looked at different samples on the Internet it showed the typical British Royal Residences alternating. So I assume when the Queen is at Buckingham, Windosr Castle, or Balmoral Castle it changes.
Yes, it does. But only for The Sovereign. The rest of the royal family uses a personal lozenge (stylized D under a coronet for Diana) engraved on their stationary or coat of arms with the name of their Household residence. The Prince of Wales, as heir to the throne, usually uses his personal coat of arms or Wales feathers.
Old 09-06-2007, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by branchg View Post
Yes, it does. But only for The Sovereign. The rest of the royal family uses a personal lozenge (stylized D under a coronet for Diana) engraved on their stationary or coat of arms with the name of their Household residence. The Prince of Wales, as heir to the throne, usually uses his personal coat of arms or Wales feathers.

Ahh, thank you! .

So does the Queen always use proper address in her letters, or only to other Heads of States? Such as "Your Excellency".
Old 09-06-2007, 02:37 PM
Imperial Majesty

I'm sure that when she's writing personal letters to other heads of state or whatever, she uses a personal greeting; however, when she's writing officially she'd use people's formal titles.
Old 09-06-2007, 05:11 PM
Heir Presumptive

Since The Queen is a constitutional monarch who reigns, but does not rule, I am sure she is very formal in her correspondence in addressing other heads of state, unless they are no longer in office, or she is speaking on a personal note or non-diplomatic issue.

Technically, she cannot say or write anything of consequence to another nation, or their representative, without the consent of the Government.
Old 09-10-2007, 03:32 PM
Imperial Majesty

Here is a response about letter writing from RoyalProtocol, who's having problems logging on at the moment:

Her Majesty The Queen's letters sent by the Private Secretary, Lady-in-Waiting etc. come on paper with an engraved letterhead which is specific to the palace/residence in which Her Majesty is resident. The paper from residences in England (Buckingham Palace, Windsor Castle and Sandringham House) also features a red coat of arms which is Her Majesty's personal arms for use in the UK and abroad except Scotland. Balmoral and Holyroodhouse paper has The Queen's Scottish arms.

Other members of the Royal Family always reply (via staff) from their Office, thus regardless of where they are the letter comes from Buckingham Palace, Clarence House, St. James's Palace or Kensington Palace, depending on who it is from.

Most members of the Royal Family have stationery which features their personal coat of arms, however the Prince of Wales has His Feathers and Princess Alexandra has two crossed A under her cornet (her cypher).
All of the coats of arms etc. are engraved in red except The Duke of Edinburgh (dark green) The Princess Royal and Princess Alexandra (blue)

The Earl and Countess of Wessex had a green letterhead from Bagshot Park; this is dark green and flat printed, not engraved.

Each member of the Royal Family also has personal paper which is used for private correspondence, The Diana paper is probably the most famous of this. Camilla has very small ornate paper with a C at the top in an oval garland with a Prince of Wales crown on the top.

Royal letters follow a standard format and are always topped and tailed by hand (i.e. the Dear...., and Yours sincerely....... is handwritten in dark blue fountain pen).

Mrs. Claudia Holloway replies to letters to the Prince of Wales and his family in most cases.

Her Majesty's letters are usually replied to b her ladies-in waiting a few of whom are quite well known. Lady Susan Huessey and The Countess of Airlie being good examples.

Buckingham Palace and the other royal households always ensure their correspondence is perfectly correct. Women are addressed as Mrs. John Smith on the envelope and men as John Smith, Esq. unless they have a higher title.

Try writing and you can see all this for yourself.
Old 09-10-2007, 03:57 PM
Aristocracy

In a biography of Queen Victoria I once read that she had the hotel in which she was vacationing in (either Italy or Switzerland, can't remember) order her personal stationary from her London papermaker, with the hotel logo underneath her customary heading.
I found it quite funny, that she didn't simply bring the stationary with her herself. Such a hassle for the hotel...
Old 09-10-2007, 04:14 PM
Royal Highness

Elizabeth to Beatrix (formal)

Quote:
Ahh, thank you! .

So does the Queen always use proper address in her letters, or only to other Heads of States? Such as "Your Excellency".
ELIZABETH THE SECOND,
By the Grace of God, of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and of Her other Realms and Territories Queen, Head of the Commonwealth, Defender of the Faith.

To Her Majesty
BEATRIX,
By the Grace of God, Queen of the Netherlands, Princess of Orange-Nassau, Etc., Etc., Etc.

Sendeth Greeting!

Your Majesty, Madam, Our beloved Sister!

Being desirious of making provision for the representation in Your Majesty's Realms of the interests of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, We have made choice of Our Trusty and Well-beloved Dame Rosemary Jane Spencer, CMG, to reside with Your Majesty in the character of Our Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary for the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

The experience which We have had of Dame Rosemary Jane Spencer's talents and zeal for Our service assures Us that the selection We have made will be perfectly agreeable to Your Majesty; and that she will discharge the duties of her Mission in such a manner as to merit Your Majesty's approbation and esteem, and to prove herself worthy of this new mark of Our confidence.

[etc.]

Old 09-10-2007, 04:24 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henri M. View Post
ELIZABETH THE SECOND,
By the Grace of God, of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and of Her other Realms and Territories Queen, Head of the Commonwealth, Defender of the Faith.

To Her Majesty
BEATRIX,
By the Grace of God, Queen of the Netherlands, Princess of Orange-Nassau, Etc., Etc., Etc.

Sendeth Greeting!

Your Majesty, Madam, Our beloved Sister!

Being desirious of making provision for the representation in Your Majesty's Realms of the interests of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, We have made choice of Our Trusty and Well-beloved Dame Rosemary Jane Spencer, CMG, to reside with Your Majesty in the character of Our Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary for the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

The experience which We have had of Dame Rosemary Jane Spencer's talents and zeal for Our service assures Us that the selection We have made will be perfectly agreeable to Your Majesty; and that she will discharge the duties of her Mission in such a manner as to merit Your Majesty's approbation and esteem, and to prove herself worthy of this new mark of Our confidence.

[etc.]

crikey, that is language by itself....
Old 01-21-2008, 07:31 AM
Courtier

Did any one write to the Luxembourg Princes and Princess and got replies from them?

Did any one here write to the Luxembourg Princes and Princess and got replies from them?
Old 01-21-2008, 09:41 AM
Courtier

I sent a birthday card to Grand Duke Jean, and got a thank you card back with a picure
Old 01-21-2008, 02:07 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atene View Post
I sent a birthday card to Grand Duke Jean, and got a thank you card back with a picure

Wow! This nice!
Old 01-21-2008, 08:45 PM
Heir Presumptive

I did send a card to the Crown Prince and a card for the Gabriel's birth but I received nothing
Old 01-22-2008, 09:23 AM
Courtier

Has any one here written to the Princes and Princess of Luxembourg and got replies from them???, and if yes please post on this thread what did u say to them and what did they say to u
Old 01-27-2008, 08:27 PM
Nobility

I know this is a bit off topic but a few months ago i wrote to the Press Secretary of the British royalfamily asking about a career in PR and her thoughts on whether or not i should go into the PR industry etc. After about a month I forgot about it completelty but then a letter came back. She apologised for the later reply and gave lots of really useful advice to me. She signed the tyoed letter herself and also included a business card (really good quality with the oryal creast and BUCKINGHAM PALACE written underneath in red). She also said that if i was in London soon i should phone for an appointment and meet her in person! I didn't though because i'd gone of the idea of PR by then but did consider going just to be nosy. lol.
Old 01-27-2008, 08:29 PM
Nobility

Oh yeah, and i sent the same letter to the Prince of Wales' Press Secretary and he sent back a one line reply saying he couldn't help and that i had been to vague in my letter, which after such a nice reply before from the Queen's press secretary i found a bit rude really. But i suppose they are busy people.
Old 01-28-2008, 08:14 PM
Courtier

Is it possible to write to Danish Royal family in English?