Lessons In Royalty

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carlota

Majesty
Country
United States
what do you think the new commoner princesses had to learn from her engagement until their wedding? we all know that they had to learn protocol, some of them new languages and history... let's post any general assumptions on what we think their schedules were during the engagement period and their preparation as princesses and particular skills that particular princesses had to gain to be a princess...

to start and to add my two cents, i know princess letizia was taught "aristocratic english" and history of spain. there were rumours on that she took hunt lessons, but that was never confirmed. it was also said that she visited the palaces belonging to the royal house to learn about their facilities and their history and that she had a notebook with her all the time and kept asking the people things to write them down... :) which i thought it was a cute detail and showing a lot of commitment. there was also a little introduction to wines, how to taste them, names and procedences...

of course, she was also taught protocol and i wouldn't be surprised if she had some kind of lesson on international organisations and international politics.

Last edited:
I think new ones would be taught manners, such as how to stand, walk, hold yourself in public. Also, one would be taught how to take good pictures, how to smile, how to speak - anunciatjion...How to put outfits together (that look nice), how to sit up, how to eat - which utensils are used for what, how to drink and hold their wine - red or white, ettiquete...ah! there are soo many new things for a new princess to learn!! :)

By the way, Carlota, great thread! :)

thanks for the post mathilde! i forgot about those really important things, how to stand, walk, talk in public, greet people...

Mathilde1286 said:
How to put outfits together (that look nice)

I think they all receive personal stylists so I don't think they need to learn that. But everything else, yes. :)

what about British Royals? have learn lesson?

She was probably given lessons on how to write proper correspondence, too, and the appropriate response for the occasion, along with what kinds of stationery to use (correspondence cards, letter sheets, etc.). I'm sure she has a secretary to answer her letters for her but in case she has to respond personally, this would be good to know.

Maxima was tutored by some professors, among them prof. Victor Halberstadt (who was the chairman of one of the bilderberg conferences), mostly about dutch history & society and dutch social and political organs and traditions.
Mrs L. Gaarland, lady in waiting of HM The Queen, who now acompanies Maxima most of the times, probably instructed her on royal customs.

Last edited:
must be so stressful, got to cope with the engagement, new life, new in-laws, the media and the nation!!!!

xtan said:
must be so stressful, got to cope with the engagement, new life, new in-laws, the media and the nation!!!!

yeah, only the power of love can get a girl through.

carlota said:
there were rumours on that she took hunt lessons, but that was never confirmed.

The Countess of Wessex certainly took to this pursuit. She's like Annie Oakley when she has a gun...:D

Hello,
I was once looking through some articles about Duchess Kate (new fan here) and I saw that she had taken "princess lessons" where she would be learning about "how the State works" and "learning about organizations such as the arts, the media, and the government."
I highly doubt that was all she learned so I was wondering if anyone knew what a royal would have to study or learn before coming into the position? What are "the arts" in specific she would have to learn? (Is having a degree in art history not enough?)
Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
The Duchess of Cambridge was reported to have such lessons but I would doubt that they were referred to as Princess school. The arts include more than the visual arts i.e. the dramatic arts and UK legislation may be something she had little prior knowledge of. Britain does not to the best of my knowledge have an abundance of constitutional lawyers.

The Duchess of Cambridge was reported to have such lessons but I would doubt that they were referred to as Princess school. The arts include more than the visual arts i.e. the dramatic arts and UK legislation may be something she had little prior knowledge of. Britain does not to the best of my knowledge have an abundance of constitutional lawyers.

Not many people seem to really comprehend the intricacies of the British constitution (which in fact really isn't a constitution per se). I've even read a supposed quote made by The Queen somewhere where she admits to find it a bit difficult.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Last edited:
In the movie "William and Kate", Kate is given curtsying lessons.

Sent from my iPod touch using The Royals Community

And movies reflect real life? The British Constitution is also largely unwritten, to the best of my knowledge.

Let's get real. No member of the royal family is taught how to curtsey. It isn't important. It's a minor bit of protocol that is fading away. It's trivia

What is important is an understanding of the balance between royal(state role) and government. So meetings which explain that, the relationship between royal and government would take place. Working with the "constitution" is vital. Just image you become a member of the BRf and think what is the priority to learn..

One bad curtsey does not undo a princess, even one by marriage.

Then there is gaining an understanding of the protocols within the BRf. Then of course you could ignore them, but it is necessary to know that's what you are doing. If you gain seniority then your views could have impact.

There is also the need to understand how the Royal Household functions and the impact of changes. The decision to change lies with the Monarch. Same applies to managing budgets.

Stuff like who curtseys to whom seems of no importance to me. What is crucial is the protocol between monarch and government.

And there is no speculation on that, it will be a matter of law

I don't think Kate was giving Princess lessons, I think her and other royal brides are probably pulled aside before the wedding and giving tips on what to do an not to do. Like etiquette, protocol's and how to deal with the press. What to wear or not to wear in certain countries and how to address other royal's.

Let's get real. No member of the royal family is taught how to curtsey. It isn't important. It's a minor bit of protocol that is fading away. It's trivia

What is important is an understanding of the balance between royal(state role) and government. So meetings which explain that, the relationship between royal and government would take place. Working with the "constitution" is vital. Just image you become a member of the BRf and think what is the priority to learn..

Then there is gaining an understanding of the protocols within the BRf. Then of course you could ignore them, but it is necessary to know that's what you are doing. If you gain seniority then your views could have impact.

There is also the need to understand how the Royal Household functions and the impact of changes. The decision to change lies with the Monarch. Same applies to managing budgets.

Stuff like who curtseys to whom seems of no importance to me. What is crucial is the protocol between monarch and government.

. Did The London Gazette not carry the new protocol as established by H.M regarding who curtseyed to whom and it was picked up by The Daily Fail. If true it would appear curtseying matters to H.M.

Managing Budgets? H.M is getting out a calculator to manage a budget? Seriously!

I read that Kate had protocol lessons and instruction on how to get in and out of a car without wardrobe issues....how to bend down to talk to someone without flashing etc etc. Those sorts of things.

LaRae

Managing Budgets? H.M is getting out a calculator to manage a budget? Seriously!

All those that receive funds to undertake their duties have to operate within a budget.

You may sneer, but any royal who doesn't do that and blames staff would not have any respect at all. Ultimately they are responsible.

Furthermore, if you read back, we were discussing Catherine. She and William have to operate within the budget from PoW.

It isn't a spend, spend, spend environment

All those that receive funds to undertake their duties have to operate within a budget.

You may sneer, but any royal who doesn't do that and blames staff would not have any respect at all. Ultimately they are responsible.

Furthermore, if you read back, we were discussing Catherine. She and William have to operate within the budget from PoW.

It isn't a spend, spend, spend environment
I would not be so rude as to sneer at anyone, ever. I was tickled at the image of H.M with a calculator.

I don't think Kate was giving Princess lessons, I think her and other royal brides are probably pulled aside before the wedding and giving tips on what to do an not to do. Like etiquette, protocol's and how to deal with the press. What to wear or not to wear in certain countries and how to address other royal's.
I would imagine that Daniel and his predecessors: Phillip, Claus, and Henrik also may have received similar information prior to their weddings.

:previous:Good post cepe. So often what we see is just a tiny portion of their lives. Today members of the Dutch royal family bowed to their royal standard, listened to the King's speech and greeted crowds on the balcony. What is not visible to us is their personal understanding of how their role is shaped by their constitutions. For a newcomer entering into a royal family that is a critical lesson to learn.

Queen Silvia spent some time in Denmark with her husbands aunt Queen Ingrid and his sister Margareta before her wedding to get prepared for her future role and has later many times stated how big of a support Queen Ingrid was to her both then and later. That said Ingrids top advice to her was "Just be yourself and everything will work out fine".

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

I would suggest a new addition to a royal family would be taught how to deflect uneasy questions from ignorant type of people at gala functions. How to be witty with HMs guests, how to interact with politicians and others at the many many social & gala events. When I say ignorant, I mean people who may ask an innocent question not knowing they may be insulting for instance.
I would think there would be a lot to learn in how to interact with people showing interest in what they say without being too informal about it. (chummy. for instance.)

:previous: A perfectly logical course, referred to by some in fun (myself included) as 'Prince School'. It makes perfect sense to me the Catherine would also need something, perhaps on a smaller scale because she has time and is married to the heir's heir.

To say it is ridiculous that Catherine would receive lessons in how to curtsey, why not. She'd want to get it right when dealing with the BRF in public and I guess the first public "show" we saw was her wedding curtsey to HM. Since all the royals curtsey in public, at the horse shows, Royal Ascot, etc, it seems to me pretty much of a prerequisite.

Royal Ascot is filled with foreign royalty and it helps to know who's who and show respect when necessary. Zara laments the loss of respect and Autumn, not surprisingly, always pays her respects as do all HM's grandchildren. Not only does Harry bow when required, he takes great joy in tipping his hat and kissing the ladies of the family and some very special friends. So hardly laughable at all.

https://www.google.co.nz/url?sa=t&r...C5Bag3zy03lGPLdfw&sig2=8PfQVHAjcYq5monfu1LifA

One would not need to have a college degree to have lessons in royalty. It would be more of an education or observations of the lessons in royalty or certain protocols.

Yes having a degree does not teach you how to address the Crown Prince of Saudi Arabia, when he is standing next to say--the Dowager Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands, now referred to I think as Princess Beatrix. Also if King Willem Alexander were standing there as well. Lets say at Royal Ascot or a more formal gala event. So how is Duchess Kate going to correctly greet this group in a proper way. This is the sort of guidance one needs so as not to cause insult.

Back
Top Bottom