The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-20-2015, 04:25 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
The others maybe but not Philip who grew up in royal circles with a grandfather, uncle etc who Kings in their own rights. He grew up with royals and stayed in palaces etc all his life. His mother and maternal grandmother were born in Windsor Castle and his great-grandmother in BP itself. He left from his grandmother's apartment at KP on his wedding day.
. I have no doubt you know about this than I, Iluvbertie, but didn't Prince Philip as he was then have a rather troubled childhood in the sense of ill and absent parents, no fixed abode?

Old 09-20-2015, 04:38 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeybees View Post
I believe that The Duchess of Cambridge has already attended several state dinners.
Maybe I'm remembering wrong but I believe Kate has met with personages that have visited the UK in sort of a meet and greet way but I don't think she's ever attended a full blown white tie state dinner before.

She did attend one white tie dinner, I believe, but it wasn't a state dinner and for the life of me, I can't remember what it was. I think I need coffee.

“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 09-20-2015, 04:46 AM
Courtier

I could be wrong but these events are not always brought to public attention and rarely are photographs issued but I believe that The DOC has already attended a few.
Old 09-20-2015, 05:38 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
I could be wrong but these events are not always brought to public attention and rarely are photographs issued but I believe that The DOC has already attended a few.
After a little bit of coffee I remembered what the tiara event was that Kate attended. It was a dinner/reception for the Diplomatic Corps.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 09-20-2015, 05:47 AM
Courtier

Again my point is that state dinners etc. do not always make it to The Court Circular and that I believe The Duchess of Cambridge has already attended a few State Dinners.
Old 09-20-2015, 06:15 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
The others maybe but not Philip who grew up in royal circles with a grandfather, uncle etc who Kings in their own rights. He grew up with royals and stayed in palaces etc all his life. His mother and maternal grandmother were born in Windsor Castle and his great-grandmother in BP itself. He left from his grandmother's apartment at KP on his wedding day.

I don't think Prince Philip had "prince lessons" and he certainly wouldn't need lessons in royal protocol and etiquette. Having said that, the fact that one grew up in a royal family doesn't necessarily mean that he or she is familiar wih matters such as constitutional law.

Learning about how the government of the country works and the constitutional role of the monarchy is actually more important to the sovereign properly than to his/her consort , but it is nonetheless something the consort should be at least generally knowledgeable about. Prince Daniel's "lessons" were heavily focused for example on specifics about the Swedish parliament and government, as well as Swedish history and culture (the latter, in particular, was also a preparation for Daniel to interact with local communities throughout the country). I don't think protocol or where to sit in a royal banquet were that high on the priority list.

Also, a royal couple's preparation for a state visit goes far beyond etiquette. As we've seen in several posts here at TRF, Queen Mathilde for example had several months of preparation before her recent state visit to China, which included meeting with Chinese artists and learning about Chinese culture and history. I am pretty sure that King Philippe on the other hand was extensively briefed by the Belgian government on bilateral Sino-Belgian matters including trade, political and diplomatic issues.

In summary, being a senior royal is a serious matter and not just a question of how one dresses or eats in a state banquet.
Old 09-20-2015, 10:47 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Again my point is that state dinners etc. do not always make it to The Court Circular and that I believe The Duchess of Cambridge has already attended a few State Dinners.

There are photos taken at a state dinner. There are only two inbound state dinner a year hosted by the Queen at BP or Windsor. If Kate attended one of these it would be covered by the press.

The Cambridges did attend the Diplomatic Reception Dinner in 2013 which is a tiara/white tie dress event.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 09-20-2015, 11:52 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
There are photos taken at a state dinner. There are only two inbound state dinner a year hosted by the Queen at BP or Windsor. If Kate attended one of these it would be covered by the press.

The Cambridges did attend the Diplomatic Reception Dinner in 2013 which is a tiara/white tie dress event.

I am quite sure there are photographs taken at every state dinner.
Old 09-20-2015, 11:56 AM
Heir Apparent

Lessons In Royalty

And you said that Kate has attend state dinners but they aren't photos at these state dinners showing Kate there because she hasn't attended a UK state dinner.

Old 09-20-2015, 12:00 PM
Courtier

I believe I said that I believe, I would not state it as fact because I do not know it to be fact.
Old 09-20-2015, 12:05 PM
Heir Apparent

But it is a fact. The photos of the state dinners since she married William show she wasn't there. The Irish state dinner in 2014, she and William were in New Zealand at the time.

Old 09-20-2015, 02:34 PM
Courtier

I said I believe, I did not state with certainty because I do not know for certain. I have no idea what goes on in Royal Palaces day by day, evening by evening and as Iluvbertie will atest, The Court Circular isn't updated to the nanosecond.
Old 05-02-2016, 08:33 AM
Majesty

Quote:
I said I believe, I did not state with certainty because I do not know for certain. I have no idea what goes on in Royal Palaces day by day, evening by evening and as Iluvbertie will atest, The Court Circular isn't updated to the nanosecond.
i am pretty sure that state dinners always make it to the circular. these are grand events happening at most twice a year on state visits by former heads of state - so not something that can be qualified as a 'nanosecond' kind of activity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post
The press release from the Royal Court of Sweden:
Induction programme for Mr Daniel Westling - Sveriges Kungahus
interesting information! i liked seeing that one of the courts actually published how a new addition to the family was being inducted. i wonder if chris and sofia followed this too - their roles are of less importance than daniel's and chris' role is non official given he is not part of the royal family as such, but surely some sort of induction took place for them too, although maybe it was less long.
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 05-02-2016, 08:53 AM
Heir Apparent

The same happened to Princess Máxima. A long introduction program was finally finished in 2004, with her entrance into the Raad van State (Council of State). In total the Princess' introduction program lasted three years since the official engagement in 2001.

Tags
british royals, duchess of cambridge, duke of cambridge, etiquette, protocol