Lessons In Royalty

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There is no Duchess Kate. There is The Duchess of Cambridge, Mrs. Cambridge, Catherine Duchess of Cambridge as The Court made clear prior to the royal wedding. There is also Princess William of Wales. The same way Prince Harry recently signed a Remberance card Henry, as it is his given name, there is no Duchess Kate.

Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge would indicate she is divorced from William. Also William lost the of Wales when he got his own peerage so no of Wales for them until William becomes Prince of Wales.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

My understanding is that the reason she was put in as ' Princess of the United Kingdom ' on their childrens birthday certificates was due to her being Princess William of Wales in the same way Their is a Princess Edward and the Duchess of Cambridge is referred to as Camilla, Duchess of Cambridge.

Just Princess William because William is just Prince William. No of Wales anymore. He has his own peerage. Harry loses his of Wales when Charles becomes King.

Name, Title is divorced or widowed

Take Fergie: She was HRH The Duchess of York when married to Andrew. After divorced- Sarah, Duchess of York.

My understanding is that the reason she was put in as ' Princess of the United Kingdom ' on their childrens birthday certificates was due to her being Princess William of Wales in the same way Their is a Princess Edward and the Duchess of Cambridge is referred to as Camilla, Duchess of Cambridge.

When you use the female's given name and then the title, its denoting that she was at one time married to the holder of the title. Diana, Princess of Wales and Sarah, Duchess of York are prime examples. Camilla is referred to as The Duchess of Cornwall as she's still married to The Duke of Cornwall.

I would imagine that Daniel and his predecessors: Phillip, Claus, and Henrik also may have received similar information prior to their weddings.

Daniel had lessons on Swedish history and constitutional law. I suppose he might also have taken lessons on royal protocol.

Last edited:
I would imagine too that if Kate is scheduled to attend the Chinese state banquet that's coming up in October, she is getting a crash course in state dinners, the protocol surrounding it and everything else she'll need to know. When something comes up new, its probably the case that she has "Everything You Need To Know" lessons.:D

I think the biggest issue at a state dinner is finding your seat since the royals (Sophie said she had that problem and got a look from the Queen IIRC) are spread all around the table and eating your dinner before the Queen finishes because they take the plates away when she is done.

I would imagine that Daniel and his predecessors: Phillip, Claus, and Henrik also may have received similar information prior to their weddings.

The others maybe but not Philip who grew up in royal circles with a grandfather, uncle etc who Kings in their own rights. He grew up with royals and stayed in palaces etc all his life. His mother and maternal grandmother were born in Windsor Castle and his great-grandmother in BP itself. He left from his grandmother's apartment at KP on his wedding day.

I would imagine too that if Kate is scheduled to attend the Chinese state banquet that's coming up in October, she is getting a crash course in state dinners, the protocol surrounding it and everything else she'll need to know. When something comes up new, its probably the case that she has "Everything You Need To Know" lessons.:D
I believe that The Duchess of Cambridge has already attended several state dinners.

The others maybe but not Philip who grew up in royal circles with a grandfather, uncle etc who Kings in their own rights. He grew up with royals and stayed in palaces etc all his life. His mother and maternal grandmother were born in Windsor Castle and his great-grandmother in BP itself. He left from his grandmother's apartment at KP on his wedding day.
. I have no doubt you know about this than I, Iluvbertie, but didn't Prince Philip as he was then have a rather troubled childhood in the sense of ill and absent parents, no fixed abode?

I believe that The Duchess of Cambridge has already attended several state dinners.

Maybe I'm remembering wrong but I believe Kate has met with personages that have visited the UK in sort of a meet and greet way but I don't think she's ever attended a full blown white tie state dinner before.

She did attend one white tie dinner, I believe, but it wasn't a state dinner and for the life of me, I can't remember what it was. I think I need coffee. :D

I could be wrong but these events are not always brought to public attention and rarely are photographs issued but I believe that The DOC has already attended a few.

I could be wrong but these events are not always brought to public attention and rarely are photographs issued but I believe that The DOC has already attended a few.

After a little bit of coffee I remembered what the tiara event was that Kate attended. It was a dinner/reception for the Diplomatic Corps. :whistling:

Again my point is that state dinners etc. do not always make it to The Court Circular and that I believe The Duchess of Cambridge has already attended a few State Dinners.

I don't think Prince Philip had "prince lessons" and he certainly wouldn't need lessons in royal protocol and etiquette. Having said that, the fact that one grew up in a royal family doesn't necessarily mean that he or she is familiar wih matters such as constitutional law.

Learning about how the government of the country works and the constitutional role of the monarchy is actually more important to the sovereign properly than to his/her consort , but it is nonetheless something the consort should be at least generally knowledgeable about. Prince Daniel's "lessons" were heavily focused for example on specifics about the Swedish parliament and government, as well as Swedish history and culture (the latter, in particular, was also a preparation for Daniel to interact with local communities throughout the country). I don't think protocol or where to sit in a royal banquet were that high on the priority list.

Also, a royal couple's preparation for a state visit goes far beyond etiquette. As we've seen in several posts here at TRF, Queen Mathilde for example had several months of preparation before her recent state visit to China, which included meeting with Chinese artists and learning about Chinese culture and history. I am pretty sure that King Philippe on the other hand was extensively briefed by the Belgian government on bilateral Sino-Belgian matters including trade, political and diplomatic issues.

In summary, being a senior royal is a serious matter and not just a question of how one dresses or eats in a state banquet.

Last edited:
Again my point is that state dinners etc. do not always make it to The Court Circular and that I believe The Duchess of Cambridge has already attended a few State Dinners.

There are photos taken at a state dinner. There are only two inbound state dinner a year hosted by the Queen at BP or Windsor. If Kate attended one of these it would be covered by the press.

The Cambridges did attend the Diplomatic Reception Dinner in 2013 which is a tiara/white tie dress event.

There are photos taken at a state dinner. There are only two inbound state dinner a year hosted by the Queen at BP or Windsor. If Kate attended one of these it would be covered by the press.

The Cambridges did attend the Diplomatic Reception Dinner in 2013 which is a tiara/white tie dress event.

I am quite sure there are photographs taken at every state dinner.

And you said that Kate has attend state dinners but they aren't photos at these state dinners showing Kate there because she hasn't attended a UK state dinner.

Last edited:
I believe I said that I believe, I would not state it as fact because I do not know it to be fact.

But it is a fact. The photos of the state dinners since she married William show she wasn't there. The Irish state dinner in 2014, she and William were in New Zealand at the time.

I said I believe, I did not state with certainty because I do not know for certain. I have no idea what goes on in Royal Palaces day by day, evening by evening and as Iluvbertie will atest, The Court Circular isn't updated to the nanosecond.

I said I believe, I did not state with certainty because I do not know for certain. I have no idea what goes on in Royal Palaces day by day, evening by evening and as Iluvbertie will atest, The Court Circular isn't updated to the nanosecond.

i am pretty sure that state dinners always make it to the circular. these are grand events happening at most twice a year on state visits by former heads of state - so not something that can be qualified as a 'nanosecond' kind of activity. ;)

interesting information! i liked seeing that one of the courts actually published how a new addition to the family was being inducted. i wonder if chris and sofia followed this too - their roles are of less importance than daniel's and chris' role is non official given he is not part of the royal family as such, but surely some sort of induction took place for them too, although maybe it was less long.

The same happened to Princess Máxima. A long introduction program was finally finished in 2004, with her entrance into the Raad van State (Council of State). In total the Princess' introduction program lasted three years since the official engagement in 2001.

Back
Top Bottom