The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-15-2015, 08:38 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeybees View Post
Managing Budgets? H.M is getting out a calculator to manage a budget? Seriously!
All those that receive funds to undertake their duties have to operate within a budget.

You may sneer, but any royal who doesn't do that and blames staff would not have any respect at all. Ultimately they are responsible.

Furthermore, if you read back, we were discussing Catherine. She and William have to operate within the budget from PoW.

It isn't a spend, spend, spend environment

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 09-15-2015, 08:42 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
All those that receive funds to undertake their duties have to operate within a budget.

You may sneer, but any royal who doesn't do that and blames staff would not have any respect at all. Ultimately they are responsible.

Furthermore, if you read back, we were discussing Catherine. She and William have to operate within the budget from PoW.

It isn't a spend, spend, spend environment
I would not be so rude as to sneer at anyone, ever. I was tickled at the image of H.M with a calculator.

Old 09-15-2015, 09:13 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucymae88 View Post
I don't think Kate was giving Princess lessons, I think her and other royal brides are probably pulled aside before the wedding and giving tips on what to do an not to do. Like etiquette, protocol's and how to deal with the press. What to wear or not to wear in certain countries and how to address other royal's.
I would imagine that Daniel and his predecessors: Phillip, Claus, and Henrik also may have received similar information prior to their weddings.
Old 09-15-2015, 09:17 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
Let's get real. No member of the royal family is taught how to curtsey. It isn't important. It's a minor bit of protocol that is fading away. It's trivia

What is important is an understanding of the balance between royal(state role) and government. So meetings which explain that, the relationship between royal and government would take place. Working with the "constitution" is vital. Just image you become a member of the BRf and think what is the priority to learn..

One bad curtsey does not undo a princess, even one by marriage.

Then there is gaining an understanding of the protocols within the BRf. Then of course you could ignore them, but it is necessary to know that's what you are doing. If you gain seniority then your views could have impact.

There is also the need to understand how the Royal Household functions and the impact of changes. The decision to change lies with the Monarch. Same applies to managing budgets.

Stuff like who curtseys to whom seems of no importance to me. What is crucial is the protocol between monarch and government.

And there is no speculation on that, it will be a matter of law
Good post cepe. So often what we see is just a tiny portion of their lives. Today members of the Dutch royal family bowed to their royal standard, listened to the King's speech and greeted crowds on the balcony. What is not visible to us is their personal understanding of how their role is shaped by their constitutions. For a newcomer entering into a royal family that is a critical lesson to learn.
Old 09-15-2015, 10:04 PM
Courtier

Queen Silvia spent some time in Denmark with her husbands aunt Queen Ingrid and his sister Margareta before her wedding to get prepared for her future role and has later many times stated how big of a support Queen Ingrid was to her both then and later. That said Ingrids top advice to her was "Just be yourself and everything will work out fine".

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 09-16-2015, 12:40 AM
Serene Highness

I would suggest a new addition to a royal family would be taught how to deflect uneasy questions from ignorant type of people at gala functions. How to be witty with HMs guests, how to interact with politicians and others at the many many social & gala events. When I say ignorant, I mean people who may ask an innocent question not knowing they may be insulting for instance.
I would think there would be a lot to learn in how to interact with people showing interest in what they say without being too informal about it. (chummy. for instance.)
Old 09-16-2015, 02:38 AM
Imperial Majesty

The press release from the Royal Court of Sweden:
Induction programme for Mr Daniel Westling - Sveriges Kungahus
Old 09-16-2015, 03:55 AM
Heir Apparent

A perfectly logical course, referred to by some in fun (myself included) as 'Prince School'. It makes perfect sense to me the Catherine would also need something, perhaps on a smaller scale because she has time and is married to the heir's heir.

To say it is ridiculous that Catherine would receive lessons in how to curtsey, why not. She'd want to get it right when dealing with the BRF in public and I guess the first public "show" we saw was her wedding curtsey to HM. Since all the royals curtsey in public, at the horse shows, Royal Ascot, etc, it seems to me pretty much of a prerequisite.

Royal Ascot is filled with foreign royalty and it helps to know who's who and show respect when necessary. Zara laments the loss of respect and Autumn, not surprisingly, always pays her respects as do all HM's grandchildren. Not only does Harry bow when required, he takes great joy in tipping his hat and kissing the ladies of the family and some very special friends. So hardly laughable at all.

https://www.google.co.nz/url?sa=t&rc...cYq5monfu1LifA
Old 09-16-2015, 07:32 PM
Serene Highness

One would not need to have a college degree to have lessons in royalty. It would be more of an education or observations of the lessons in royalty or certain protocols.
Old 09-19-2015, 06:00 PM
Serene Highness

Yes having a degree does not teach you how to address the Crown Prince of Saudi Arabia, when he is standing next to say--the Dowager Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands, now referred to I think as Princess Beatrix. Also if King Willem Alexander were standing there as well. Lets say at Royal Ascot or a more formal gala event. So how is Duchess Kate going to correctly greet this group in a proper way. This is the sort of guidance one needs so as not to cause insult.
Old 09-19-2015, 06:36 PM
Courtier

There is no Duchess Kate. There is The Duchess of Cambridge, Mrs. Cambridge, Catherine Duchess of Cambridge as The Court made clear prior to the royal wedding. There is also Princess William of Wales. The same way Prince Harry recently signed a Remberance card Henry, as it is his given name, there is no Duchess Kate.
Old 09-19-2015, 06:53 PM
Heir Apparent

Lessons In Royalty

Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge would indicate she is divorced from William. Also William lost the of Wales when he got his own peerage so no of Wales for them until William becomes Prince of Wales.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 09-19-2015, 06:58 PM
Courtier

My understanding is that the reason she was put in as ' Princess of the United Kingdom ' on their childrens birthday certificates was due to her being Princess William of Wales in the same way Their is a Princess Edward and the Duchess of Cambridge is referred to as Camilla, Duchess of Cambridge.
Old 09-19-2015, 07:13 PM
Heir Apparent

Just Princess William because William is just Prince William. No of Wales anymore. He has his own peerage. Harry loses his of Wales when Charles becomes King.

Name, Title is divorced or widowed

Take Fergie: She was HRH The Duchess of York when married to Andrew. After divorced- Sarah, Duchess of York.

Old 09-19-2015, 07:17 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeybees View Post
My understanding is that the reason she was put in as ' Princess of the United Kingdom ' on their childrens birthday certificates was due to her being Princess William of Wales in the same way Their is a Princess Edward and the Duchess of Cambridge is referred to as Camilla, Duchess of Cambridge.
When you use the female's given name and then the title, its denoting that she was at one time married to the holder of the title. Diana, Princess of Wales and Sarah, Duchess of York are prime examples. Camilla is referred to as The Duchess of Cornwall as she's still married to The Duke of Cornwall.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 09-19-2015, 07:55 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
I would imagine that Daniel and his predecessors: Phillip, Claus, and Henrik also may have received similar information prior to their weddings.
Daniel had lessons on Swedish history and constitutional law. I suppose he might also have taken lessons on royal protocol.
Old 09-19-2015, 08:40 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I would imagine too that if Kate is scheduled to attend the Chinese state banquet that's coming up in October, she is getting a crash course in state dinners, the protocol surrounding it and everything else she'll need to know. When something comes up new, its probably the case that she has "Everything You Need To Know" lessons.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 09-19-2015, 08:48 PM
Heir Apparent

I think the biggest issue at a state dinner is finding your seat since the royals (Sophie said she had that problem and got a look from the Queen IIRC) are spread all around the table and eating your dinner before the Queen finishes because they take the plates away when she is done.

Old 09-20-2015, 04:12 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
The others maybe but not Philip who grew up in royal circles with a grandfather, uncle etc who Kings in their own rights. He grew up with royals and stayed in palaces etc all his life. His mother and maternal grandmother were born in Windsor Castle and his great-grandmother in BP itself. He left from his grandmother's apartment at KP on his wedding day.
Old 09-20-2015, 04:22 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I would imagine too that if Kate is scheduled to attend the Chinese state banquet that's coming up in October, she is getting a crash course in state dinners, the protocol surrounding it and everything else she'll need to know. When something comes up new, its probably the case that she has "Everything You Need To Know" lessons.
I believe that The Duchess of Cambridge has already attended several state dinners.

Tags
british royals, duchess of cambridge, duke of cambridge, etiquette, protocol