The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-27-2010, 04:55 PM
Commoner

I remember in a book the Prince of Wales' valet wrote (sorry, can't remember his name), anyway, he, the valet that is, said that the Princess of Wales (Diana) got a lot of impromptu flowers, people got a bouquet on the way to attending the walkabout or whatever, and hoped to give to her. Those had to be fun.

Otherwise, it would be so tedious. One couldn't change one's mind about what to wear on a certain day because it had already been planned in advance to wear a certain thing, and the organizers of that day's event had been informed of outfit, so the flowers they planned to give would match, flowers one already knew one was supposed to get, and so on.

I'd rather get a dandelion wrapped in damp paper towel. Heartfelt. The sort the valet said Diana got a lot of.

and about Camilla: if she and the Prince of Wales are still married and if he succeeds his mother's throne, Camilla WILL be Queen. Whether anyone actually CALLS her that, we don't yet know. In the United Kingdom as well as the realms who claim the UK's monarch as their own, it is the legislature of that realm (parliament) which decides who gets to be the monarch. The UK's laws say that the throne passes according to male-preference primogeniture. These same laws also say that the wife of the King is the Queen. It's not for Charles or Camilla or any other member of the Royal Family to say.

Camilla goes by "Duchess of Cornwall" because a lot of people are still angry and resentful of the role they believed she played in the break-up of Charles and Diana's marriage. Calling Camilla "Princess of Wales" would offend too many people and the Royal Family doesn't want to do that. Similarly, the announcement that Camilla would, in due course, go by the title "Princess Consort" was really a polite fiction to soothe the same Diana fans.

Barring an act of the UK's parliament (and of Canada's, and Australia's, and Greneda's, etc etc), when Queen Elizabeth II dies (a loooooooonnnnggg time from now, please God) Charles will be King and Camilla will be Queen.

Old 05-20-2014, 08:53 PM
Royal Highness

A princess dowager would be addressed as "Your Highness" or "Your Royal Highness".
Princess Royal is a style customarily (but not automatically) awarded by a British sovereign to his or her eldest daughter.
The style is held for life.
A princess cannot be given the style during the lifetime of another Princess Royal.

Old 05-20-2014, 11:16 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessRulz View Post
Thanks Warren.
I also think that Queen Rania came across as smart in the interview, and while I haven't followed or taken a lot of interest in Rania or the Jordanian royal family, I learnt a lot about them and their lives in the interview, and I think I would like to learn about Rania and her family a little more.
The interview also posed another question for me:
When King Abdullah's father was King, why wasn't the current King the heir to the throne? And why was the previous King's brother the heir?
When Abdullah was born he was the Crown Prince, but due to the political instability in the region and assassination attempts upon King Hussein it was decided to have Prince Hassan take on the role. Having a very young heir was considered to be too risky. CP Hassan fulfilled the role for decades until King Hussein's decision to create his eldest as Crown Prince again.
Old 07-18-2014, 09:59 PM

Ok, I have a question. If this has been already asked then just erase it. How come when a Crown Princess becomes queen-her husband would either become king or prince consort. Like Crown Princess Victoria and Prince Daniel and Queen and Prince consort of Denmark. Is that talked about before marriage in the royal families? Because Victoria said at one point-so I have read- that Daniel would not be king when she becomes Queen. Just curious.
Old 07-18-2014, 10:44 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Erica View Post
Ok, I have a question. If this has been already asked then just erase it. How come when a Crown Princess becomes queen-her husband would either become king or prince consort. Like Crown Princess Victoria and Prince Daniel and Queen and Prince consort of Denmark. Is that talked about before marriage in the royal families? Because Victoria said at one point-so I have read- that Daniel would not be king when she becomes Queen. Just curious.

Typically a woman takes her husband's titles. So when the King of Wherever marries his wife becomes the Queen of Wherever.

The exception is when a woman's title is higher than the man's. So, when the Queen of Somewhere marries the Duke of Not Much, she doesn't take the title Duchess (or doesn't use it).

Men never take the titles of their wives. If Mr. Titleless marries the Countess of Nothing he doesn't get to be the Count of Nothing.

A part of the argument for this is that traditionally, when men have taken their wives titles they have taken whatever power is associated with it as well. Therefore, to protect the power of their Queen consorts (and prevent typically foreign princes from ruling) most realms do not allow for men who marry royal women to take their titles. As such, Daniel is not the Crown Prince, and won't be a king anymore than Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh or Henrik, Prince Consort of Denmark.
Old 07-18-2014, 10:46 PM
Serene Highness

That has been the convention for at least two hundred years, that a queen's husband doesn't automatically become a king. Neither does a crown princess's husband automatically become a crown prince. He will be a prince consort instead. It probably has to do with that when a woman is a queen or a crown princess in her own right, people also wanted to show that she didn't get her position through a marriage. And for the longest time, the husband's position would almost always be more important than that of his wife. Not making a queen's husband a king would put her clearly in charge, even back when people assumed it to be a natural thing that men should rule over women.

You could argue of course that in this modern age, things like this shouldn't matter anymore. And to be fair, it might be different in the next generation. Estelle's husband might be able to become a king through marriage!