The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-09-2006, 10:07 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren
I just watched it (taped). The "HRM" was Oprah going over the top. Apart from that it was an interesting interview, and HM Queen Rania came across as sharp and smart.
I happened to be home when the interview was on. When Oprah asked Queen Rania what made her happy, i was surprised when she said instantly- chocolate! I didn't expect that! It was great. My brother said to me "she can't really be a Queen! She's too young and she's hot!"

Old 08-09-2006, 10:18 AM
Serene Highness

Ok here is something I have been wondering for ages...
When the Queens/princesses get up each day do they have somebody to do their makeup and hair or do they do it themselves? Is it just for an official event they have somebody do it for them?
Thanks!

Old 08-10-2006, 06:07 AM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Picture of the Month Representative - Luxembourg
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren
I just watched it (taped). The "HRM" was Oprah going over the top. Apart from that it was an interesting interview, and HM Queen Rania came across as sharp and smart.
Thanks Warren.
I also think that Queen Rania came across as smart in the interview, and while I haven't followed or taken a lot of interest in Rania or the Jordanian royal family, I learnt a lot about them and their lives in the interview, and I think I would like to learn about Rania and her family a little more.
The interview also posed another question for me:
When King Abdullah's father was King, why wasn't the current King the heir to the throne? And why was the previous King's brother the heir?
Old 08-10-2006, 05:35 PM
Serene Highness

In the old ottoman empire, it was always the oldest male member of the sultan family, who was the heir to the thrown. Therefor, a sultan could be succeeded by his younger brother instead of his oldest son. I believe the same succession rules might have lingered in Jordan.
Old 05-04-2008, 02:17 AM
Courtier

I remember back in 2004 when Prince Albert II of Monaco was the heir-apparent to the Monaco throne.When he was on the Larry King live show the host himself introducted him as Crown Prince when the correct term is Hereditary Prince.

I'm head of a dynastic house no matter what others say.
Princess Kamorrissa,Countess of Welle
Old 05-04-2008, 02:24 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Australian View Post
I happened to be home when the interview was on. When Oprah asked Queen Rania what made her happy, i was surprised when she said instantly- chocolate! I didn't expect that! It was great. My brother said to me "she can't really be a Queen! She's too young and she's hot!"

You know, oddly enough, my friends who have no interest or knowledge about royalty said the same thing when they saw a photo of Queen Rania. My jaded guy friends were practically drooling.
Old 05-20-2008, 02:25 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furienna View Post
In the old ottoman empire, it was always the oldest male member of the sultan family, who was the heir to the thrown. Therefor, a sultan could be succeeded by his younger brother instead of his oldest son. I believe the same succession rules might have lingered in Jordan.
Not exactly. King Hussein actually changed the succession on his deathbed, unexpectedly making Abdullah king. In some muslim monarchies, the mother's status determines who is able to inherit the throne. In others, it is the monarch who decides his successor.
The Ottoman succession rules were settled upon after many years. Originally, the sultan's sons sort of duked it out to see who became the next sultan. Then it was whoever lived closest to the capital, and was therefore able to reach the vacant throne and claim it first. It was only much later that the late Ottoman succession was settled.
Old 07-28-2008, 01:15 PM
Gentry

Contacting Royals for Interviews

I am currently working on a book about the monarchies of Europe. In an ideal world, I'd love to have an interview with a royal from each family (like I said, in an ideal world:) I'm actually very open to any member of each of the families. Does anyone have any idea how I'd go about doing this? Thanks!
Old 07-28-2008, 01:37 PM
Aristocracy
Royal Blogger

You would need to call (or write) the press secretary associated with each royal person you would like to interview. Normally, that's the person you would have contact with throughout the process. In writing, the request would usually include your book title and scope, an outline, your deadline(s), what you are specifically looking for in regard to this interview and if they will have final say and approval for materials. You would also need to note if you are wanting to tape or photograph during the interview.

Most secretaries will require some type of information to "prove" who you are before they will even consider your request. A letter from a publisher, news agency or other contact would usually suffice.
Old 09-07-2008, 12:53 AM
Heir Presumptive

I haven't got any advice, monos26, but was wondering how you're getting on in your quest?
Old 10-08-2008, 05:38 PM
Heir Apparent

floral bouquets for royal women at events

I have tried to find this info on the forums, but was unable to. What is the protocol for royal women and the bouquets of flowers that they carry at events? I have noticed that most royals are carrying bouquets of flowers while they are at official events. Who provides these bouquets? How are the flowers selected? Are many bouquets offered to the royal, and she selects from among them, or is there one particular person charged with the duty of procuring the bouquets for the royal?
Old 10-08-2008, 11:18 PM
Heir Presumptive

I dont know who organises the bouquets, but they are always coordinated with the royals outfit.
Princess Mary is normally given them by someone related to the patron/cause the event is for, often a child.
Old 10-10-2008, 07:55 PM
Heir Apparent

Thank you for the information, Marmi. I have noticed that her flowers tend to coordinate with her outfits. Do they have advance notice of what she is wearing, in order to plan the bouquet?
Old 10-10-2008, 10:24 PM
Commoner

I cannot recall where, but I read somewhere that royal women often carry bouquets at events to signal that they will not be shaking hands with people gathered (keeping their hands otherwise occupied).
Old 10-11-2008, 06:30 PM
Heir Presumptive

I'd never heard that Kaatje, thank you. I have exams and assignments at the moment or I'd do some googling to see if I could find where you read it! Nevermind, its not that important.
Old 09-06-2010, 09:42 AM
Nobility

Question Flowers??

I didn't know where to post this so I thought I would post it here... Hope its ok.

Everytime I see a Queen or a Princess at an event they are all ways give flowers, some just single fowers from the garden or these big huge bunches of flowers??

I have never really understood the meaning of it... The Queens and Princess must be handed hundreds each year, what do they do with them all?
Old 09-06-2010, 01:18 PM
Imperial Majesty

Herman Lindqvist (who has written a book about crown princess Victoria) told a lovely story about Victoria and the flowers.
He had an appointment with Victoria when he hadn´t known Victoria very long. Victoria was at a ceremony at the castle. Some little girls gave her flowers. She came to meet Lindqvist, and went to a room for the staff, put the flowers to the kitchen sink and then she searched for a vase that she found suitable for the flowers. Then she cut the flowers and said that these flowers must be put to a water with certain temperature. While she took care of the flowers she talked with Lindqvist about other things. The flowers were a gift from little girls to Victoria and she appreciated it, she took personally care of them.
Old 09-07-2010, 03:21 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post
Herman Lindqvist (who has written a book about crown princess Victoria) told a lovely story about Victoria and the flowers.
He had an appointment with Victoria when he hadn´t known Victoria very long. Victoria was at a ceremony at the castle. Some little girls gave her flowers. She came to meet Lindqvist, and went to a room for the staff, put the flowers to the kitchen sink and then she searched for a vase that she found suitable for the flowers. Then she cut the flowers and said that these flowers must be put to a water with certain temperature. While she took care of the flowers she talked with Lindqvist about other things. The flowers were a gift from little girls to Victoria and she appreciated it, she took personally care of them.
Thanks for sharing, this episode gives a lovely image of Victoria!
Old 09-08-2010, 01:16 AM
Nobility

QEII gives her flowers away

She usually will hold on to the official bouquet, and pass the others to her Lady in Waiting. I believe the flowers are generally donated to local hospitals. If they have cards attached however, the Lady in Waiting keeps that, so that a thank you card can be sent.
Old 09-15-2010, 06:08 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvr girl View Post
She usually will hold on to the official bouquet, and pass the others to her Lady in Waiting. I believe the flowers are generally donated to local hospitals. If they have cards attached however, the Lady in Waiting keeps that, so that a thank you card can be sent.
"official bouquet"? I assume this means a bucnh of flowers presented by some VIP?