The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-22-2006, 05:13 AM
Nobility

I read that Maxima might become Princess Consort rather than Queen as Hollands last 2 Queens would have been the monarch, and Camilla is planning on using Princess consort rather than Queen as well.
What do you all know about this?

Old 04-22-2006, 05:32 AM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Picture of the Month Representative - Luxembourg
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaPlusBelle
Prince Philip's father was a son of a Greek Monarch. George I, I think. This in turn makes him second cousins once removed to Constantine II. The lines look like this:
George--Constantine I--Paul--Constantine II
George--Andrew--Philip
So Philip's father is the brother of the current King of Greece's grandfather?

Old 04-22-2006, 06:15 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Princess
I read that Maxima might become Princess Consort rather than Queen as Hollands last 2 Queens would have been the monarch, and Camilla is planning on using Princess consort rather than Queen as well.
What do you all know about this?
I don't know if I can answer this question really, but from what I have heard and understood - the Government of The Netherlands wants the title of Prince/ess of Orange to exclusively belong only to the heir to the throne, and thus Máxima would be titled simply just Princess Máxima (even if most people still call her the Princess of Orange).

I've also understood that there are some wishes for her not to become titled Queen, but perphaps a Dutch member could explain that?

When it comes to Camilla, they announced at the time of the wedding that she wants to be titled Princess Consort once Charles becomes king. This is a new title never heard of, and I personally think it's rather rediculous to invent new titles like that, Camilla should rightfully be Queen Consort. But perhaps she will one day, if all turns out well with the public etc.
Old 04-22-2006, 04:02 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessRulz
So Philip's father is the brother of the current King of Greece's grandfather?
Yup.
And as to the Camilla thing, I think they're just waiting for the animosity against Camilla to die down even further, and so others realize how absurd it is to deny the wife of the future King the title of Queen. I mean, I loved and idolized Diana as much as the next person, but we all need to move on.
Old 04-23-2006, 12:25 AM
Commoner

Determining Royalty

What DOES determine royalty lines in the case of someone like Princess Diana, who, if Charles became king, she WOULD become Queen? What was her background to cause her to be Queen (wish she had lived for that).:(
Old 04-23-2006, 12:49 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheriBeri
What DOES determine royalty lines in the case of someone like Princess Diana, who, if Charles became king, she WOULD become Queen? What was her background to cause her to be Queen (wish she had lived for that).:(
Diana, Princess of Wales was born into one of England's most distinguished families.

An aristocrat by birth, Diana was descended of King Charles II of Great Britain, through his illgitimate son, the Duke of Grafton.

Also, amongst her fine dedigree were the...

- Dukes of Grafton (FitzRoy family) - as mentioned above.
- Dukes of Bedford (Russell family)
- Dukes of Abercorn (Hamilton family)
- Dukes of Marlborough (Churchill family)
- Earls of Sunderland (Spencer family)
- Earls Spencer (Spencer family)

This made for fine Queen Consort material...a titled aristocrat, someone "accustomed" to court life & society.

Diana had all the right requirements, one could say.

"MII"
Old 04-23-2006, 01:21 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
What DOES determine royalty lines in the case of someone like Princess Diana, who, if Charles became king, she WOULD become Queen?
From the acceptance that Kate Middleton is getting in the royal circles, I don't think strict pedigree matters that much these days-of course the British Royal Family doesn't want any skeletons in the closet but marrying by bloodlines is as far as I can tell definitely out.

Traditionally royals only made equal marriages (i.e., to a princess) although the British royal family was a bit ahead of their times to allow the younger members to marry from outside the royal ranks. Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother, a daughter of the Scottish aristocracy, originally married a second son. It would have been interesting to see if George VI had been allowed to marry her if he had been the heir.

When Charles married Diana, there was still a push for the British heir to at least marry from the aristocracy which hard as it is to believe was a lot more lenient than the royals-only rule of 70-80 years before. It was the failure of that marriage that made a lot of royal families re-think how they defined acceptability in the wife of the future monarch.

Although it must be said that Harald of Norway and Carl Gustaf of Sweden had already broken new ground by marrying commoners in the 60s and 70s.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 04-28-2006, 02:24 PM

Question as far as Laws of Sucession goes, for example, in my instance I would think Laws of Sucession only apply to Claimants, as I do not see how one can take himself to Court over his own family nevertheless himself.

I did see though Prince Georg Friedrich of Prussia took himself to Court, but I do not see any benefit other than a Claimaint sueing for rights over an assumed extict dynasty. Best Wishes, -King Fernidad Frederick of Prussia
Old 04-28-2006, 02:37 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfernidad
Question as far as Laws of Sucession goes, for example, in my instance I would think Laws of Sucession only apply to Claimants, as I do not see how one can take himself to Court over his own family nevertheless himself.

I did see though Prince Georg Friedrich of Prussia took himself to Court, but I do not see any benefit other than a Claimaint sueing for rights over an assumed extict dynasty. Best Wishes, -King Fernidad Frederick of Prussia
The German court declared it had no jurisdiction over internal House rules, therefore the Headship of the House of Hohenzollern rightfully remains with Prince Georg Friedrich.
It was a disaffected uncle who was challenging George Fredrich's right to be Head of the House.
The Court took a similar stance in the Leiningen case: House rules are internal family matters. The Court will only intervene in estate inheritance disputes.
Old 04-28-2006, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren
The German court declared it had no jurisdiction over internal House rules, therefore the Headship of the House of Hohenzollern rightfully remains with Prince Georg Friedrich.
It was a disaffected uncle who was challenging George Fredrich's right to be Head of the House.

That makes perfect sense that no Court shall have jurisdiction over internal house rules as in like any other mans house, the problem is how does one go to court for head of a household in one other mans house? I figure the judgement would be "if" Prince Georg Friedrich of Prussia were of the House of Hohenzollern he would be granted head of that household, but, they do not have any relation, therefore cannot just assume head of that house. Best Wishes, -King Fernidad Frederick of Prussia

Old 05-02-2006, 06:24 AM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

I had a good question...but I don't remember it :( I think it's because I thought of it just before I went to sleep..but oh well

My Question (different to above mentioned):
What does one wear to a Enthronement Ceremony?
Old 05-03-2006, 09:20 AM
Gentry

How Come.....??

Arent there question wou always want to ask about Royals, like how come we never see any of the Spanish Royal Women in Bathing suit?? Has anyone seen Cristina or Elena in Cossies??

Or how come, many of the Spanish females dont wear hats?/ I know they wear mantillas, but at Felipe wedding, Leticia's sister had a hat??
Old 05-08-2006, 01:37 PM
Nobility

Possibly this is not the place but... What's about the title of Baron/ess Thyssen? Does it exist or not? I've heard that the title was extinct years ago and other sources said that this happened when Baron Heinrich died, but his wife still use the title...
Old 05-08-2006, 01:49 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
What does one wear to a Enthronement Ceremony?
I think it differs from country to country, and I guess also that the new monarch can pretty much decide what events will celebrate the historic moment, and the dress code etc for the various events.
Old 05-08-2006, 02:45 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandDuchess
I think it differs from country to country, and I guess also that the new monarch can pretty much decide what events will celebrate the historic moment, and the dress code etc for the various events.
I agree with you. With the "enthronement" of King Harald in 1991 it was formal, gala wear. So I guess that one still will go with a rather formal dress code in the future too. Somehow I don't see an "enthronement" as a garden party with jeans and t-shirts any time soon

Old 05-09-2006, 06:17 AM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandDuchess
Thanks GrandDuchess
I wasn't sure what they wore, because looking at some pictures from Harald's enthronement back in 1991, Martha Louise and Sonja were wearing full gala outfits, but the woman sitting behind Haakon and Martha Louise looked like she was wearing a formal day outfit, so I got a little confused! :o
Thanks for clearing that up
Old 08-09-2006, 05:50 AM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

I was watching Oprah yesterday, the episode where Queen Rania was a guest.
When Oprah introduced Rania, she called her 'Her Royal Majesty Queen Rania'. Is that Rania's title, and are all the Kings and Queens called 'His/Her Royal Majesty'?, or was this just a mistake on Oprah's behalf?
Old 08-09-2006, 06:36 AM
Courtier

Regarding the title of Baroness Thyssen: Heini's father married into the Hungarian nobility and that was the origin of the title, so I would assume that it's still a legitimate title for Tita to use. Maybe some of the experts on styles can give further details.
Old 08-09-2006, 06:37 AM
Administrator

Quote:
I was watching Oprah yesterday, the episode where Queen Rania was a guest.
When Oprah introduced Rania, she called her 'Her Royal Majesty Queen Rania'. Is that Rania's title, and are all the Kings and Queens called 'His/Her Royal Majesty'?, or was this just a mistake on Oprah's behalf?
I just watched it (taped). The "HRM" was Oprah going over the top. Apart from that it was an interesting interview, and HM Queen Rania came across as sharp and smart.
Old 08-09-2006, 07:42 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Diana would have been Queen because she would have been married to the King. No background would have caused her to be Queen. If any of us had married Prince Charles, we'd be Queen when he was King. However, if Diana had lived, Diana would not have been Queen because she was divorced from Prince Charles. There are three types of Queens:
  1. Queen Regnant: the monarch, a reigning queen. Queen Elizabeth II is a Queen Regnant. She inherited the throne from her father. This is the only type of queen requires a royal line.
  2. Queen Consort: the wife of a king. While King George VI was alive, his wife was the Queen Consort.
  3. Queen Dowager: widow of a king. After King George VI, his wife was Queen Dowager although she chose to be calle Queen Mother which is a special type of Queen Dowager. A Queen Mother is the widow of a king and the mother of his successor.
For more information, see http://www.heraldica.org/faqs/britfaq.html#p2-15

Also Diana was never "Princess Diana." While married she was HRH The Princess of Wales and after the divorce she was Diana, Princess of Wales with "Princess of Wales" acting as a surname. She was not a princess after her divorce. Only those born a princess in the UK, can use "Princess" followed by their first name. Currently, only Princess Anne, Princess Beatrice, Princess Eugenie, and Princess Alexandra fit into this category. Technically, Lady Louise Windsor does also but the Queen and her parents have decided not to style her that way. For more information on Diana's style. For more information on Diana's style see http://www.baronage.co.uk/diana/di-arms1.html

"You are a pest, by the very nature of that camera in your hand."
Princess Anne to a photographer