Coronations and Enthronements

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Josefine

Majesty
Country
Sweden
I would like to see a timeline of the enthronements - here is a great link of the latest european enthronements http://www.angelfire.com/vt/luxenthronement/

1950, May 5 - Coronation - Bhumibol Adulyadej, King of Thailand - following the death of his brother King Ananda Mahidol
1953, June 2 - Coronation - Elizabeth II, Queen of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland - following the death of her father King George VI
1964, March ... - ... - Constantine II, King of the Hellenes, following the death of his father King Paul
1964, November 12 - Enthronement ceremony - Jean, Grand Duke of Luxembourg - following the abdication of his mother Grand Duchess Charlotte
1967, July 4 - Coronation - Taufa'ahau Tupou IV, King of Tonga - following the death of his mother Queen Salote Tupou III
1967, October 26 - Coronation - Mohammed Reza Pahlavi, Shah of Iran - 26 years after his 1941 accession to the throne he took the title Shahanshah
1969, July 1 - Investiture ceremony - Charles, Prince of Wales
1972, January 15 - Proclamation - Margrethe II, Queen of Denmark - following the death of her father King Frederik IX
1973, September 19 - Enthronement ceremony - Carl XVI Gustaf, King Of Sweden - following the death of his grandfather King Gustaf VI Adolf
1974, 2 June - Coronation - Jigme Singye, Druk Gyalpo (Dragon King) of Bhutan, following the death of his father Druk Gyalpo Jigme Dorji
1975, November 22 - Enthronement ceremony - Juan Carlos I, King of Spain - following the death of dictator Caudillo Franco
1980, April 30 - Enthronement ceremony - Beatrix, Queen of the Netherlands - following the abdication of her mother Queen Juliana
1984, August 26 - Enthronement ceremony - Hans Adam, Sovereign Prince of Liechtenstein - After his father Prince Franz Josef II passed the power to him
1990, August 15 - Proclamation - Hans Adam II, Sovereign Prince of Liechtenstein - following the death of his father Prince Franz Josef II
1990, November 25 - Enthronement ceremony - Akihito, Emperor of Japan - following the death of his father Emperor Hirohito
1991, Jannuary 21 - Enthronement ceremony - Harald V, King of Norway - following the death of his father King Olav V
1993, August 9 - Proclamation - Albert II, King of Belgium - following the death of his brother King Baudouin
1999, July 30 - Enthronement ceremony - Mohammed VI, King of Marocco - following the death of his father King Hassan II
2000, October 9 - Enthronement ceremony - Henri, Grand Duke of Luxembourg - following the abdication of his father Grand Duke Jean
2005, July 12 - Proclamation - Albert II, Sovereign Prince of Monaco - following the death of his father Prince Rainier III
2008, 1 August - Coronation - George Tupou V, King of Tonga, following the death of his father King Taufa'ahau Tupou IV
2008, 1 November - Coronation - Jigme Khesar Namgyel, Druk Gyalpo (Dragon King) of Bhutan, following the abdication of his father Druk Gyalpo Jigme Singye
2013, April 30 - Enthronement ceremony - Willem Alexander, King of the Netherlands - following the abdication of his mother Queen Beatrix
2013, July 21 - Proclamation - Philippe, King of the Belgians - following the abdication of his father King Albert II
2014, ... - ... ... - Felipe VI, King of Spain - following the abdication of his father King Juan Carlos I
2015, June ... - Coronation - Tupou VI, King of Tonga, following the death of his brother King George Tupou V

Last edited by a moderator:
King George VI died in February 6, 1952
Elizabeth II, Queen of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland,
Coronation was On June 2, 1953,

link about the Coronation at the british Forum
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=943&page=2&pp=20

Grand-Duchess Charlotte signed her abdication 1964, November 12
Jean, Grand Duke of Luxembourg
enthronement ceremony 1964, November 12

King Frederick IX of Denmark died on the 14th January 1972
Margrethe II, Queen of Denmark
a proclamation 1972, Jannuary 15

King Gustav VI Adolf died on the 15th September 1973
Carl XVI Gustav. King Of Sweden
enthronement ceremony 1973, September 19

Link about the enthronement at the Swedish Forum
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108

Link about the 30th Jubelee
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=798

Queen Juliana signed her abdication 1980, April 30
Beatrix, Queen of the Netherlands
enthronement ceremony 1980, April 30

King Bhumibol Adulyadej of Thailand (acceded in 1946) was crowned on 5 May 1950 at the Royal Palace in Bangkok.

Shan Mohammed Reza Pahlavi (reigned since 1941) and Empress Farah were crowned on 26 October 1967 at the Golestan Palace in Tehran.

Queen Margrethe II of Denmark was enthroned (more to the point, proclaimed--there was no actual enthronement) on 15 January 1972, the day after her father's death.

King Carl XVI Gustav succeded his father Gustav VI Adolf on 15 September 1973. The enthronement took place four days later at the Royal Palace in Stockholm.

King Juan Carlos I of Spain was enthroned on 22 November 1975 at the Cortes in Madrid, two days after the death of Caudillo Franco. He also had the Enthronrment Mass at the Church of San Geronimo el Real in Madrid on 27 November.

Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands was enthroned on the day of Queen Juliana abdication, 30 April 1980, at the Nieuwe Kerk in Amsterdam.

Emperor Akihito of Japan (acceded on 7 January 1989) was enthroned on 25 November 1990 at the Imperial Palace in Tokyo.

King Harald V of Norway was enthroned on 21 January 1991 at the Storting in Oslo, four days after the death of his father King Olav V. He was consecrated as King on 25 June 1991 at the Nidaros Cathedral in Trondheim.

King Albert II of Belgium acceded the throne on the death of his brother King Baudouin I on 31 July 1993. He was enthroned on 9 August at the Parliament in Brussels.

Not an enthronement...

Charles of the United Kingdom is not a monarch yet, but he has already had an event that was closer to a coronation than most of the European monarchs had.

Charles was invested as Prince of Wales on 1 July 1969 at Caernarfon Castle in Caernarfon, Wales.

if anyone can help me with the quastiansmarks i would be greatful
also how about princrs of monaco Albert now and his father
i also want to know about Jordan and marocco and greece when it was a monarchy
then also if there is any comming of age or enthronements as the heir or crown prince much the one like for the prince of wales

Last edited:
King Bhumibol Adulyadej succeded his brother Ananda Mahidol, who was found shot dead on 9 June 1946.

Farah was an Empress Consort and not an actual ruler of Iran. Her husband Shah Mohammed Reza Pahlavi was the Iranian monarch, having replaced his father Reza Shah Pahlavi on 16 September 1941. The Shah and Empress Farah were crowned one after the other, that's why I listed them together.

Akihito of Japan succeded on 7 January 1989, when his father Emperor Hirohito died.

Josefine said:
if anyone can help me with the quastiansmarks i would be greatful
also how about princrs of monaco Albert now and his father

Prince Rainier III passed away on 6 April 2005. Albert II of Monaco was enthroned on 12 July 2005 at the Cathedral of Monaco. Another ceremony will follow on 19 November.

Josefine said:
i also want to know about Jordan and marocco and greece when it was a monarchy
then also if there is any comming of age or enthronements as the heir or crown prince much the one like for the prince of wales
Constanine II, the King of the Hellenes, certainly had an enthronement ceremony in 1964, but I cannot find the exact date and place of it.

I'm not sure whether King Abdullah II had some distinct ceremony of enthronement.

King Mohammed VI succeded upon the death of his father Hassan II on 23 July 1999; he was enthroned in Rabat a week later.

Josefine said:
so after the death of Reza Shah Pahlavi ?
No, Reza Shah was pressurised into abdicating the throne by the Allies; he was considered pro-German.

Also, the Pahlavis were not titled Emperors, they were Shahs with the style of 'His Imperial Majesty'.

'Invested' is a right word. The ceremony of investiture is traditional for the Princes of Wales; the timing of the event is up to the ruling monarch. He even had the Crown of the Prince of Wales (to be precise, the coronet) placed on his head. However, I think that it is better to stick to monarchs, leaving the investiture of Charles as an exception.

Mapple said:
Prince Rainier III passed away on 6 April 2005. Albert II of Monaco was enthroned on 12 July 2005 at the Cathedral of Monaco. Another ceremony will follow on 19 November.

the one in july 12 was that not more like a proclamation

aand thank you so much for the help

Last edited:
Josefine said:

aand thank you so much for the help
Not at all, I've always been interested in the subject of coronations.

Are you interested in the Nepalese ones?

King Gyanendra of Nepal was proclaimed as King on the deposition of his grandfather King Tribhuvan on 6 November 1950. He was crowned at the Nyasal Chowk, Hanuman Dhoka Palace in Kathmandu on 7 November, but was deposed on 8 January 1951, and King Tribhuvan returned to the throne.

King Mahendra succeeded on the death of his father King Tribhuvan on 14 March 1955; he was crowned at the Nyasal Chowk on 2 May 1956.

King Birendra succeded on the death of his fatherKing Mahendra on 31 January 1972; his coronation took place at the Nyasal Chowk on 24 February 1975.

King Dipendra succeeded on the death of his father King Birendra on 1 June 2001 while comatose. He was never crowned; the reasons for that are evident.

King Gyanendra ascended the throne again on the death of his nephew King Dipendra on 4 June 2001. He was crowned on the same day for a second time.

Josefine said:
well i need help with the info if i will put it on the list
Here you are. :)

King Taufa'ahau Tupou IV succeeded on the death of his mother Queen Salote Tupou III on 16 December 1965. He was crowned at the Chapel Royal in Nuku'alofa on 4 July 1967.

In this link you will see the enthronement of Queen Juliana of The Netherlands:

http://www.beeldengeluid.nl/template_subnav.jsp?navname=polygoon_themas&category=collectie_informatie&artid=10702

Go to the right side and scroll down to 'fragmenten' and choose: 'Inauguratie koningin Juliana 25 jaar geleden'.

She spoke the (in The Netherlands) almost legendary words: 'Since two days ago I am called to a task which is so heavy (...) but also so beautiful, that I can only say: who am I that I may do this?'

Mapple said:
Here you are. :)

King Taufa'ahau Tupou IV succeeded on the death of his mother Queen Salote Tupou III on 16 December 1965. He was crowned at the Chapel Royal in Nuku'alofa on 4 July 1967.
His coronation was covered extensively in National Geograhic. There were some excellent pictures, and the issue is available on disc. The ceremony was also attended by the Duke and Duchess of Kent.

Sean.~ said:
His coronation was covered extensively in National Geograhic. There were some excellent pictures, and the issue is available on disc. The ceremony was also attended by the Duke and Duchess of Kent.
The members of the British royal family have usually attended the coronations of foreign monarchs. I know that the Duke of Gloucester was present when Haile Selassie was crowned in 1930; the Prince of Wales attended the coronation of the King of Nepal, Birendra, in 1975. However, I'm not sure whether foreign royals were invited to Charles's Caernarfon investiture in 1969.

does anyone know where you can see the video of grand duke henri's enthronement????

Coronations

It's such a shame that so many kingdoms have abandoned the coronation ceremony. I really don't see why such a magnificent ceremony is being ignored.

The only crowned living persons today are Her Most Gracious Majesty The Queen of the United Kingdom and Her Imperial Majesty Empress Farah of Iran. I know that the King and Queen of Norway were consecrated, but the crowns was never actually placed on their heads. I am not sure about the King and Queen of Spain; I think there was a special mass held instead of the coronation, but I could be wrong. Even the popes opt not to be crowned anymore.

The coronation ceremony is such a dignified ceremony. There is (or was) a video on YouTube which showed the coronation of the Queen of the United Kingdom. I was shaking while I watched it, even though I am not Christian. I believe that coronation can only strenghten a monarchy, since it confirms the monarch's right to reign.

So, what do you think why coronations are being dispensed with today?

I don't see Americans saving money for inaugurations of their presidents and those inaugurations occur at least once in eight years, while most European kingdoms had less than four accessions in the 20th century. If they are really saving money for formal acknowledgment of legitimacy of the new monarch, then I'm not sure how much they appreciate their monarchy.

The only crowned living persons today are Her Most Gracious Majesty The Queen of the United Kingdom and Her Imperial Majesty Empress Farah of Iran.
The King of Tonga was crowned last August and the King of Bhutan was crowned last November. The (ex-)King of Nepal and the King of Thailand were also crowned.

Last edited:
The King of Tonga was crowned last August and the King of Bhutan was crowned last November. The (ex-)King of Nepal and the King of Thailand were also crowned.

I suppose you're right. I was talking only about coronations of European monarchs, as I don't know much about non-European coronations. Thank you for informing me about the Asian coronations :flowers:

Iran is in Asia. :)

Iran is in Asia. :)

Right again :whistling: I guess I included Farah among the European royalty because of the significance of her coronation. I should've been more clear. Our media neglects all the non-European monarchies except for Japan and Jordan, so I don't expect to see a TV report about the coronations of most of the future Asian monarchs.

Nevertheless, I'm still puzzled: why are European kingdoms abandoning the coronation ceremony? The only coronation that's going to attract attention of our media is the coronation of the next British monarch.

I think the simple answer as to why European Kingdoms are abandoning the coronation ceremony is either due to constitutional changes or because it has never been the custom for a full coronation ceremony. Wikipedia has some good information about "coronations".
NORWAY - the constitution dated 1814 required the monarch to be crowned. When the union between Norway and Sweden ended in 1905 a new king was elected by referendum and he was crowned in 1906. In 1908 the mandate for a coronation was repealed and on assession only an oath required. In the 1950's Olav V wanted a religious ceremony too as he was head of the Church of Norway and so the consecration ceremony was introduced as a seperate rite from the Oath.
SPAIN - no monarch has been crowned since John I of Castile in 1300s. An oath is taken at the parliament with the crown displayed.
SWEDEN - Oscar II in 1873 was the last monarch to be crowned. Since then just a simple ceremony is undertaken at the palace with the crown displayed.
BELGIUM - there is no crown/crown jewells for Begium so a coronation cannot be done - just an oath in accordance with the constitution dated 1831.
DENMARK - the ritual for annointing the Danish monarch was abolished in 1849. A new monarch is simply presented to the people on the palace balcony.
BRITAIN - does not have a written constitution and has had no major constitutional changes in recent centuries which might modernise the way a monarch is installed. The coronation is based on custom and tradition and I doubt it will change very much when Charles becomes king.
NETHERLANDS - monarchs have never been crowned but they do have a very fine inauguration ceremony with an oath and the crown displayed.

This is just a simple review so alot of information/dates missed out!

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for the information, Jacknch :flowers:.

I knew how a new monarch is presented in Denmark and that a new monarch in Britain is crowned at a coronation-ceremony. But not how things are done in the other countries.

Back
Top Bottom