The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-04-2007, 09:55 PM
Gentry

does anyone know where you can see the video of grand duke henri's enthronement????

Old 01-20-2009, 03:48 PM
Nobility

Coronations

It's such a shame that so many kingdoms have abandoned the coronation ceremony. I really don't see why such a magnificent ceremony is being ignored.

The only crowned living persons today are Her Most Gracious Majesty The Queen of the United Kingdom and Her Imperial Majesty Empress Farah of Iran. I know that the King and Queen of Norway were consecrated, but the crowns was never actually placed on their heads. I am not sure about the King and Queen of Spain; I think there was a special mass held instead of the coronation, but I could be wrong. Even the popes opt not to be crowned anymore.

The coronation ceremony is such a dignified ceremony. There is (or was) a video on YouTube which showed the coronation of the Queen of the United Kingdom. I was shaking while I watched it, even though I am not Christian. I believe that coronation can only strenghten a monarchy, since it confirms the monarch's right to reign.

So, what do you think why coronations are being dispensed with today?

Old 01-20-2009, 05:39 PM
Heir Presumptive

save money?
Old 01-20-2009, 06:07 PM
Nobility

I don't see Americans saving money for inaugurations of their presidents and those inaugurations occur at least once in eight years, while most European kingdoms had less than four accessions in the 20th century. If they are really saving money for formal acknowledgment of legitimacy of the new monarch, then I'm not sure how much they appreciate their monarchy.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:17 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotroman View Post
The only crowned living persons today are Her Most Gracious Majesty The Queen of the United Kingdom and Her Imperial Majesty Empress Farah of Iran.
The King of Tonga was crowned last August and the King of Bhutan was crowned last November. The (ex-)King of Nepal and the King of Thailand were also crowned.
Old 01-21-2009, 09:02 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
The King of Tonga was crowned last August and the King of Bhutan was crowned last November. The (ex-)King of Nepal and the King of Thailand were also crowned.
I suppose you're right. I was talking only about coronations of European monarchs, as I don't know much about non-European coronations. Thank you for informing me about the Asian coronations
Old 01-21-2009, 09:04 AM
Administrator

Iran is in Asia.
Old 01-21-2009, 09:27 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
Iran is in Asia.
Right again I guess I included Farah among the European royalty because of the significance of her coronation. I should've been more clear. Our media neglects all the non-European monarchies except for Japan and Jordan, so I don't expect to see a TV report about the coronations of most of the future Asian monarchs.

Nevertheless, I'm still puzzled: why are European kingdoms abandoning the coronation ceremony? The only coronation that's going to attract attention of our media is the coronation of the next British monarch.
Old 01-23-2009, 08:43 AM
Super Moderator

I think the simple answer as to why European Kingdoms are abandoning the coronation ceremony is either due to constitutional changes or because it has never been the custom for a full coronation ceremony. Wikipedia has some good information about "coronations".
NORWAY - the constitution dated 1814 required the monarch to be crowned. When the union between Norway and Sweden ended in 1905 a new king was elected by referendum and he was crowned in 1906. In 1908 the mandate for a coronation was repealed and on assession only an oath required. In the 1950's Olav V wanted a religious ceremony too as he was head of the Church of Norway and so the consecration ceremony was introduced as a seperate rite from the Oath.
SPAIN - no monarch has been crowned since John I of Castile in 1300s. An oath is taken at the parliament with the crown displayed.
SWEDEN - Oscar II in 1873 was the last monarch to be crowned. Since then just a simple ceremony is undertaken at the palace with the crown displayed.
BELGIUM - there is no crown/crown jewells for Begium so a coronation cannot be done - just an oath in accordance with the constitution dated 1831.
DENMARK - the ritual for annointing the Danish monarch was abolished in 1849. A new monarch is simply presented to the people on the palace balcony.
BRITAIN - does not have a written constitution and has had no major constitutional changes in recent centuries which might modernise the way a monarch is installed. The coronation is based on custom and tradition and I doubt it will change very much when Charles becomes king.
NETHERLANDS - monarchs have never been crowned but they do have a very fine inauguration ceremony with an oath and the crown displayed.

This is just a simple review so alot of information/dates missed out!
Old 01-23-2009, 12:20 PM
Courtier

Thanks a lot for the information, Jacknch .

I knew how a new monarch is presented in Denmark and that a new monarch in Britain is crowned at a coronation-ceremony. But not how things are done in the other countries.
Old 01-23-2009, 02:17 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
In this link you will see the enthronement of Queen Juliana of The Netherlands:

Beeld en Geluid

Go to the right side and scroll down to 'fragmenten' and choose: 'Inauguratie koningin Juliana 25 jaar geleden'.

She spoke the (in The Netherlands) almost legendary words: 'Since two days ago I am called to a task which is so heavy (...) but also so beautiful, that I can only say: who am I that I may do this?'
OMG, I don't even speak dutch, but I cried watching this movie. The tone of her voices, and the picture of the peolpe who are watching her be enthroned are very touching... I am a river of tears now.
Old 03-02-2009, 04:28 PM

Coronation Gifts

Hi! I'm an aspiring children's book writer and I've been working on a book with a fictional monarchy. I've enjoyed looking through your posts to find pictures of tiaras and such! It's a great resource for my imagination.

I'm looking for ideas of coronation gifts. Has anyone seen any information anywhere about presents that any queens have received on the occasion of their coronation? Gifts princesses have received when a parent was crowned? I'm looking for gift ideas from the public as well as from countries.

I'm sure they get loads and loads of gifts, but I can't find any mention of them anywhere.

Thanks!
Old 03-14-2009, 03:04 PM

Well, maybe no one knows? Perhaps I need to explain what I am looking for a little better.

In the book on The Little Princesses by Marion Crawford (Bantam, 1952), she does describe some of the gifts that Elizabeth II got for her wedding:
2 pieces of burned toast (some ladies were making toast when they heard the news and they were so excited that they burned their toast)
a rock (a piece of Snowdon) for luck
a family heirloom lace underslip (apparently many heirlooms were received)
lots of letters and clothing coupons (that had to be returned, it was illegal to give the coupons away)
lots of handkerchiefs, linen, lace, sheer lawn, and nylon stockings

The wedding presents were displayed in St. James's Palace to raise money for charity.

These are the kinds of things I am looking for, but preferably gifts given upon a coronation to a young princess. Does anyone know of such descriptions?

Thanks!
Old 03-22-2009, 12:04 PM

I've looked but can't find much in books and on the web, but I have lots on wedding gifts which may help?

I imagine jewels were a popular coronation gift

God Save The Queen!

Old 03-22-2009, 04:21 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by writererin View Post
Has anyone seen any information anywhere about presents that any queens have received on the occasion of their coronation?
I suppose crown, orb and sceptre outshine all other gifts, so there is no point of giving any other gifts.
Old 03-29-2009, 07:51 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotroman View Post
I suppose crown, orb and sceptre outshine all other gifts, so there is no point of giving any other gifts.
These were not gifts to the Queen - they are part of the crown jewels and pass from monarch to monarch she does not own them

Old 04-27-2009, 11:18 AM
Majesty

what are we missing greece?
is there other after 1950
Old 04-27-2009, 02:37 PM
Nobility

1963 - Pope Paul VI, Sovereign of the Vatican City State, was crowned with a papal tiara made for him by Milan. He was the last pope to be crowned. John Paul I did not desire the ceremony, John Paul II had a tiara given to him but it was long after his election and he never wore it. Benedict XVI inquired about reviving the ceremony and even got one of the traditional coronation tiaras taken out of the museum and prepared for the ceremony but was talked out of it as being impractical.
Old 04-27-2009, 06:18 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessofEurope View Post
These were not gifts to the Queen - they are part of the crown jewels and pass from monarch to monarch she does not own them
Isn't that the closest thing to coronation gifts?
Old 05-07-2009, 12:12 PM
Super Moderator

I do not think that Queen Elizabeth received any personal gifts for her coronation as she did when she was married or as she would for her birthday - although I imagine she would have received many cards and letters of support and congratulations.

Although I suppose you could say that the crown, orb and sceptre were not gifts as such, seeing as she is the only person currently living allowed to wear/use them for her life time and they were bestowed upon her during the coronation (along with a number of other items such as a ring, sword and a rather nice velvet mantle!), they were kind of "given" to her. I wonder if Norman Hartnel charged her for the coronation dress (if not then that's a great new gift for a young woman!).

Tags
coronation, elizabeth ii