Bowing and Curtseying

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks Osipi and Countessmeout! That was exactly my thinking!

LaRae

Formal training, yes. It was the "done" thing up until recent times that a young woman after finishing her academic education would then head off to finishing school which taught the refined arts that a well bred, aristocratic woman would need in high society. Curtsying, etiquette and speaking French are just some of the subjects that were taught. Camilla attended the Mon Fertile finishing school in Switzerland and the Institut Britannique in Paris.

To my knowledge, none of the Queen's granddaughters have had any kind of formal training such as finishing schools. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I seem to recall an interview with Zara sometime back when she discussed learning to curtsey from her mother and said that was where she learned to curtsey correctly- she lamented that so few knew how to do it properly. I would imagine the Princess Royal would know how to do it properly

I would tend to agree with you on this. Being in the royal family, curtsying and protocol would be prime arts that were ingrained into the children from a very early age so by the time they reached adulthood, it was pretty much mastered.

Camilla may have had more formal training in finishing schools but that in no way detracts from what a royal child who grows up exposed to all things pertaining to the monarchy learns every day.

Last edited:
I would tend to agree with you on this. Being in the royal family, curtsying and protocol would be prime arts that were ingrained into the children from a very early age so by the time they reached adulthood, it was pretty much mastered.

Camilla may have had more formal training in finishing schools but that in no way detracts from what a royal child who grows up exposed to all things pertaining to the monarchy learns every day.

You are so right. These children learn the protocol and etiquette from an early age- something that really can't be taught at finishing school because it is inimical to the royal family itself. Admittedly, a deep curtsey looks better with a fuller skirt but still, Zara's was well done as was Sophie and Princess Michael. The Duchess of Gloucester- not so much
I don't mean to say that finishing school can't teach the art of the curtsey and proper etiquette- that would be foolish- but that training in the RF starts as soon as they can walk., a big difference

Deep curtseys always look so awkward to me.

To me, too. In fact all curtseys look awkward to me. I think it's high time women adopted the head bow that the men do. Much easier and less submissive.

Jo Bryant, The etiquette advisor for Debrett's, says to curtsey, a woman should briefly bend the knees with one foot forward.

The move should create a distinct bobbing movement, with the upper body kept straight and should be repeated when the member of the Royal family leaves.

For men, greeting a Royal requires the same deference, but less movement, she said.

"A bow should be made by bending from the neck or shoulders but not the waist

So the theatrical movements we see in films, are for just that, Hollywood.

Last edited:
Saw the Young Norwegian Royal girls curtsying to people at one of the Jubilee events.Is that a common Custom of theirs?

Saw the Young Norwegian Royal girls curtsying to people at one of the Jubilee events.Is that a common Custom of theirs?

It isn't. It was Maud Angelica, I actually noticed it myself when watching the broadcast and remembered that I've seen it once before. I am not sure why she keeps doing it, but it could be that she forgets herself when she meets the first non-royal at an occasion, as she will have curtsied when meeting her grandparents, aunt and uncle earlier the same day.
It could also be a thing she does as a mark of respect towards older people, but no, it is not a Norwegian custom to randomly curtsy, and it is generally only done towards royalty, or at occasions where you might ask someone to dance formally (with just a small bob) and similar settings.

It isn't. It was Maud Angelica, I actually noticed it myself when watching the broadcast and remembered that I've seen it once before. I am not sure why she keeps doing it, but it could be that she forgets herself when she meets the first non-royal at an occasion, as she will have curtsied when meeting her grandparents, aunt and uncle earlier the same day.
It could also be a thing she does as a mark of respect towards older people, but no, it is not a Norwegian custom to randomly curtsy, and it is generally only done towards royalty, or at occasions where you might ask someone to dance formally (with just a small bob) and similar settings.

Ingrid Alexandra did a fairly deep one also.I would not think forgetting herself would be a valid excuse for her.

I seem to recall an interview with Zara sometime back when she discussed learning to curtsey from her mother and said that was where she learned to curtsey correctly- she lamented that so few knew how to do it properly. I would imagine the Princess Royal would know how to do it properly

An article also stated that Louise learnt to curtsey by practicing to do so to a statue of Queen Victoria at Sandringham. I am sure the Windsor daughters are taught from a very young age how to pull of the perfect curtsey.

Little Viscount Severn can pull off a handsome bow now.

Windsor Horse Show Birthday Parade

Trooping the Colour

Do the taller ladies curtsy lower so their head is below the Queen's? (Like Diana for example. She curtsied so low her knee almost touched the ground.)

Last edited:
:previous: I would think traditionally yes. The point of a curtsey was to lower yourself below the eyes of the monarch. Bit harder when you are taller.

Boys have it so much easier, a bowed head is pretty hard to mess up ;)

James though looks a tad odd, perhaps because he is the only one bowing. His parents, Louise and even Harry look a bit bemused at his bow at trooping :cool:

Its meant to be a short bob, a curtsy. Thatcher was said to curstsy very low, which some thought was a sign of her not knowing how to behave...It is meant to show respect but not obeisance

Yet there are members of the royal family who curtsey low, Zara does, and they surely know what is proper. And I would think Thatcher would have been well instructed on how to act.

Yes, deep curtsey is not expected, a curtsey at all is not required now a days (traditional would be to be lower than the eyes, but traditions change). It is not a social faux paux, or showing a lack of understanding, to curtsey low. Simply old-fashioned.

Is Mrs May holding herself to the fauteuil while lowering herself down? She seems so close to the furniture that her left knee almost touches it while making a curtsey. The leopard spots on her shoes are a remarkable sartorial choice for the event. Not sure Mrs Thatcher would ever done that. ;-)

Last edited:
Is Mrs May holding herself to the fauteuil while lowering herself down? She seems so close to the furniture that her left knee almost touches it while making a curtsey. The leopard spots on her shoes are a remarkable sartorial choice for the event. Not sure Mrs Thatcher would ever done that. ;-)

Oh I do hope we are not going to start commenting on her clothes.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Oh I do hope we are not going to start commenting on her clothes.

We should devote as much time and space to commenting on the current Prime Minister's clothes as was devoted to the clothes worn by Mr Cameron, Mr Brown, Mr Blair, Mr Major, Mr Callaghan, Mr Wilson, Mr Heath, etc.

OTOH, part of me wants to suggest a thread for discussing the fashion and style of style of politicians because Boris Johnson and Jeremy Corbyn alone could provide us with hours of entertainment. :D

We should devote as much time and space to commenting on the current Prime Minister's clothes as was devoted to the clothes worn by Mr Cameron, Mr Brown, Mr Blair, Mr Major, Mr Callaghan, Mr Wilson, Mr Heath, etc.

OTOH, part of me wants to suggest a thread for discussing the fashion and style of style of politicians because Boris Johnson and Jeremy Corbyn alone could provide us with hours of entertainment. :D

Well you just need younger, more good looking PM's. :whistling: Justin Trudeau certainly gets plenty of blog time on his appearance and dress :cool::ROFLMAO:

But one would hope, as politicians actually earned their spot, and not bon or married in, there is perhaps something with more depth to discus then the pattern of her shoes.

Outdated and unnecessary act. Ms. May is far more4 important to the government.

Back
Top Bottom