Bowing and Curtseying

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:previous: I agree. From what I can tell the royals just calmly continue with their meet and greet. Only the press appears to make an issue out of it as most royal houses have just set guidelines if people choose to bow or curtsey.

Yep. Even now with this Lebron thing. W&K's spokesperson came out and said that there was no protocol breach, yet the media keeps going on and on about it.

At the St Andrews 600th anniversary event. Somewhere on the Daily Mail. :p

Yep. Even now with this Lebron thing. W&K's spokesperson came out and said that there was no protocol breach, yet the media keeps going on and on about it.
Remember when Michelle Obama touched the Queen's back. :eek:

Nice curtsey from Princess Eugenie to Catherine.

Where did you see that? I could only find a cheek kiss one. Technically is supposed to be the other way around if William isn't there.

Or is that the first pic? You can't see Eugenie's lower half.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Last edited:
How many times on these forums do we read so and so 'wows' America and its never the case.

Agree. :flowers: Some of what is said in news articles is there to impress the folks back home. That's the truth.

William in the span of less than 24 hours meets with the President of the United States, the Vice-President of the United States , the head of the World Bank and the United Nations.

That's really 'wowing' America

No, I wouldn't say so, though that isn't to say that list of meetings isn't impressive. Says a lot about the esteem Britain is held in, I think. This is less about a person than a position and a relationship between two countries. (But I've made that point before.)

There is absolutely no coverage that I have seen of this visit here on the West Coast btw. Zip. But that may be me. (Head in the sand. ;) )

Last edited:
At the St Andrews 600th anniversary event. Somewhere on the Daily Mail. :p

I didn't see it but I'm glad to know it happened. There were ugly stories a few years ago that Beatrice and Eugenie were in a snit about having to curtsey to William's new wife since they were "blood princesses" and she was not. It all sounded very petty, and just another excuse for the tabloid press to pileup on the York sisters, imo:whistling:!

Technically they don't need to curtsey to Kate unless she is with William.

Last edited:
That's off because I've seen plenty coverage where I am.

Sorry, I meant to say weird, not off. Yeah, the coverage has been blowing up on my newsfeed. It's been on all the morning and entertainment shows. Even the local and cable news shows has had stuff about them.

Last edited:
I have seen NO coverage on the local affiliates KABC, KNBC, KCBS, KCAL9...zip zero nada. And talk radio is ignoring them, even the snarky talk radio stations. It's all over the cable stations though.

I saw coverage on KNBC this morning. :lol:

I saw coverage on KNBC this morning. :lol:

:flowers: My point stands, however. No sense of 'wow' here regarding anything happening with the Cambridges. In my daily rounds people are cluless as to what the British royals are up to on the East Coast, though this may be a function of the fact that if one is on the West Coast nothing that happens on the East Coast really counts. :p

:flowers: My point stands, however. No sense of 'wow' here regarding anything happening with the Cambridges. In my daily rounds people are cluless as to what the British royals are up to on the East Coast, though this may be a function of the fact that if one is on the West Coast nothing that happens on the East Coast really counts. :p

:lol:

Where did you see that? I could only find a cheek kiss one. Technically is supposed to be the other way around if William isn't there.

Or is that the first pic? You can't see Eugenie's lower half.

I found another photo, but I still can't tell if Eugenie's curtseying. I think she might just be leaning in to hug Kate.

http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/n...eets-princess-eugenie-of-news-photo/460218012

Last edited:
Let's get back on topic....whether or not there has been press coverage of the Cambridge visit to NYC is not the subject of this thread.

If you wish to discuss press coverage or lack thereof, please do so in the appropriate thread, which can be found here

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...-to-the-usa-december-7-9-2014-a-37677-18.html.

Any and all additional off topic posts will be deleted without notice.

Thank you.

Zonk
Royal Chit Chat Moderator

:lol:

I found another photo, but I still can't tell if Eugenie's curtseying. I think she might just be leaning in to hug Kate.

Catherine Duchess of Cambridge meets Princess Eugenie of York at the... News Photo 460218012 | Getty Images

When in a strange land, its the familiar faces of a family member that is most appreciated. I don't think either Kate or Eugenie were thinking about protocol at that time. :D

Was even going to add a tag line saying "Family is the only ones you feel comfortable farting in front of" but decided against it. Kind of crude.

ducks and runs for cover out of Zonk's reach.

Last edited:
Honestly, with these pictures its hard to decipher IMO if Eugenie is curseying to Kate. I don't think so. The picture has been taken in a weird angle.

Why would Princess Eugenie - a Princess by birth, be curtseying to Kate?

Because of Kates position in regard to Eugenies position ... nothing to do with a person - but everything about position.

I don't think she did and it's seem it was a hug and kiss. Whether or not Eugenie is supposed to curtesy is dependent on the presence of William- if he is there, he is higher in precedence than her and Kate takes William's precedence. Without Wills, it's blood princess before married into the family in this part of the reign (Charles can reset it).

However, it appears that the only people that get constant bows and curtsies is the Queen and Philip from the family. Imagine how long the family Christmas party at BP would take with everybody bowing and curtseying to each other.

Because of Kates position in regard to Eugenies position ... nothing to do with a person - but everything about position.

I think that Eugenie has to curtsey to Kate despite that Eugenie is Princess by blood, because William is present. If Kate was alone without William, the "blood" superseeds the position by marriage, and Eugenia should not curtsey.
Also something has yo do with the fact that theu are out of the British terrotory, but I do not know what.

Honestly, with these pictures its hard to decipher IMO if Eugenie is curseying to Kate. I don't think so. The picture has been taken in a weird angle.

If anyone wants another reason to not worry about this, there did not seem to be a flurry of bows to the Heir. ;)

I don't think she did and it's seem it was a hug and kiss. Whether or not Eugenie is supposed to curtesy is dependent on the presence of William- if he is there, he is higher in precedence than her and Kate takes William's precedence. Without Wills, it's blood princess before married into the family in this part of the reign (Charles can reset it).

However, it appears that the only people that get constant bows and curtsies is the Queen and Philip from the family. Imagine how long the family Christmas party at BP would take with everybody bowing and curtseying to each other.

Now the question that inquiring minds need to know the answer to. Does it apply only if William is besides Kate or in the same room? I'm wondering why there there no pics of Eugenie and William greeting each other. Perhaps I'm missing something?

I think that Eugenie has to curtsey to Kate despite that Eugenie is Princess by blood, because William is present. If Kate was alone without William, the "blood" superseeds the position by marriage, and Eugenia should not curtsey.
Also something has yo do with the fact that theu are out of the British terrotory, but I do not know what.

QEII herself issued some sort of document that clarified things shortly after W/K were married. If Kate and Beatrice/Eugenie are in one another's presence without William, Kate should curtsey to them. Only if William is present must they curtsey to Kate.

What I take this to imply is that Beatrice and Eugenie on their own outrank Kate, who is not royal in her own right as they are.

(My assumption of course is that once the DoC becomes queen all that will change)

All three young women are said to completely ignore this "rule" when they are together and I don't blame them one bit.:cool:

^ It does appear that they ignore it, because I don't think I've seen a photo of them curtseying to each other.

I'm thinking it was just a hug and a kiss too. I imagine they skip this rule during family gatherings. It would be a nightmare trying to figure out who needs to bow/curtsey.

Last edited:
The married behind blood princess thing goes back before Kate to Camilla.

Bowing and curtseying are different from precedence. I've never witnessed any of the younger royals curtsey to one another but we do get tangible and real examples of precedence.

For example a new twist is William taking precedence over both Edward and Andrew. On every single occasion, whether in private or public, William now comes ahead of his uncles.

Earlier in the year I posted a pic of an invitation to an event at BP. The names were listed in the following order

HMQ
The Duke of Edinburgh
The Duke of Cambridge
The Duke of York
The Duke of Gloucester
The Duke of Kent

In addition William came ahead of Andrew in the receiving line

So given William now outranks Andrew, I would find it odd if Eugenie outranks Catherine

Depends on who is in the room. There's a great explanation about 1,000 posts back.

We don't know if the 'private' Order of Precedence excists or not - it's just a rumour afaik. And as they would be in private (with or without William present) we don't see what they are doing. AND the order of precedence means who is to great first etc.

AFAIK no one in the English royal family curtseys to anyone else but the Queen and the DoE

Back
Top Bottom