Bowing and Curtseying

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i recently saw a picture of the Duchess of Cornwall curtseying to the Duchess of Cambridge. i thought it would be the other way around?

i recently saw a picture of the Duchess of Cornwall curtseying to the Duchess of Cambridge. i thought it would be the other way around?
Do you have the photo or a link, I would love to see it? Was Prince William with Kate? If so, I think I remember in all the convoluted rules that when Pr. Wm is present, Kate outrank Camilla, if Pr.Charles isn't present. Please correct me if I am wrong :flowers:

I'm intrigued, just did a google search and no picture came up. You sure you didn't see Camilla curtseying to Queen Rania?

Is it the photoshopped one with Kate's and Camilla is wearing the lilac dress?

This is Camilla curtseying to Queen Rania.

Speaking of Princess Anne, has anyone got pictures of her curtsying? I simply can't get enough!

Last edited by a moderator:
i can't find the photo but i'm sure it was in the DM about 3 or 4 weeks ago. it's not the photo shop one...you're right though - it's awful!

I'm intrigued, just did a google search and no picture came up. You sure you didn't see Camilla curtseying to Queen Rania?
i saw that one and had to do a double take but no, it's not that one. i wish i'd asked this when i first saw it.

Do you have the photo or a link, I would love to see it? Was Prince William with Kate? If so, I think I remember in all the convoluted rules that when Pr. Wm is present, Kate outrank Camilla, if Pr.Charles isn't present. Please correct me if I am wrong :flowers:
if i remember correctly, you couldn't see either william or charles....just a shot of the two women.

i remember reading those rules too. :)

If so, I think I remember in all the convoluted rules that when Pr. Wm is present, Kate outrank Camilla, if Pr.Charles isn't present. Please correct me if I am wrong :flowers:

Whether Charles is present or absent
Whether William is present or absent
How much ever convoluted the rules are...
Camilla will ALWAYS outrank Kate and is NEVER required to curtsey her..
Except two very remote or distant possibilities:
1.Charles dies before the Queen and Kate becomes Queen Consort after the Queen also dies..
Then Camilla will be just Dowager Duchess of Cornwall and will have to curtsey the Queen COnsort.
2.After King Charles dies..Then as Queen Consort, Kate will outrank Camilla. But still Camilla, as Dowager Queen is not required to curtsey the Queen Consort, if we go by 20th century precedents..At the most she will curtsey King William at his coronation, thats it..

Actually, rules are rules. And protocol is dictated by the husband. Whilst it's unlikely to ever happen, there is a situation where Camilla 'should' curtsey to Catherine.

if i remember correctly, you couldn't see either william or charles....just a shot of the two women.

i remember reading those rules too. :)

Too see either Charles or William curtseing,,?...Oh dear...:whistling:...oh well,
times does change doesn't it...But to Rania,ah...

...Camilla will ALWAYS outrank Kate and is NEVER required to curtsey her.
So basically.... Camilla should never have to courtesy to Catherine? All of this is so interesting, yet so confusing to understand as there seem to be so many rules.

Duchess never said Charles and William were curtseying, she said Charles and William weren't in shot (so it isn't known if they were there to dictate protocol) it was just the two women.

Try watching the video of William and Kate's wedding. There might be one of Anne curtseying to her mother somewhere on there. Also, either one of Anne's weddings.

Try video of her 1st wedding - there is one there

:previous: Ah, she does it so very well. The other note about Prince Anne is that she is not "just" a princess, but HRH The Princess Royal. I think that probably weighs heavily on the Court Order of Precedence.

I know she has curtsied to Camilla at Ascot (I think) but going back to the days of Diana, Anne was touring refugee camps in Africa on behalf of Save the Children, ofwhich she has been president since 1970, not to mention all her other charitable works, and earning her title. Diana and then Sarah were both just "silly girls" at that stage so I guess they didn't count in Anne's book (and rightly so IMHO).

Anne's precedence is because she is the monarchs daughter. The honorific Princess Royal does nothing for her in terms of precedence which will drop as she becomes next the monarchs sister or later the monarchs aunt while still being Princess Royal for the rest of her life.

Anne's precedence is because she is the monarchs daughter. The honorific Princess Royal does nothing for her in terms of precedence which will drop as she becomes next the monarchs sister or later the monarchs aunt while still being Princess Royal for the rest of her life.

I believe the title Princess Royal is a lifetime title. Princess Elizabeth never had the title because her aunt Mary had the title until her death in 1965 (well after Elizabeth was Queen). Anne was not given the title until after Mary's death.

Princess Anne knows and does exactly what she is suppose to do. In some instances she may not like it, but she takes her position and responsibilities very seriously and has little patience for those that she feels do not. JMO.

I believe the title Princess Royal is a lifetime title. Princess Elizabeth never had the title because her aunt Mary had the title until her death in 1965 (well after Elizabeth was Queen). Anne was not given the title until after Mary's death.

The title is a life title - Anne will be Princess Royal until she dies.

What NGaltzine was saying was that while Anne will always be Princess Royal, the precedent she has will change. Right now she is the daughter of the monarch and has a precedent as such, in the future she will become the monarch's sister and have a different precedent, and one day she might be the aunt of the monarch, giving her another precedent. We saw this with the last Princess Royal, Princess Mary.

Madeleine förs fram till altaret | SVT Play

lots of bowing and curtseying from the foreign royals as the King of Sweden arrives with Princess Madeleine at her wedding. Noticed that Sophie and Edward did not bow/curtsey even though I would think they should and Princess Charlene did even though I'd thinkshe wouldn't have to.

Last edited:
I wonder why Princess of Monaco always curtsey to kings or queens? Is it because her title as Her Serene Highness or else?

I wonder why Princess of Monaco always curtsey to kings or queens? Is it because her title as Her Serene Highness or else?

she doesn't have to, even if she's a Her Serene Highness. she's the wife of the head of state nevertheless. i guess she maybe does it as respect as the king is older than her, although personally i wish she didn't.

what strikes me is that victoria or benedikte didn't curtsy in the video. wonder why?

I was talking about the private court precedence. The (very little is actually known but our inside source revealed) one that everyone seems to get their panties in a bunch about! :cool:

she doesn't have to, even if she's a Her Serene Highness. she's the wife of the head of state nevertheless. i guess she maybe does it as respect as the king is older than her, although personally i wish she didn't.

what strikes me is that victoria or benedikte didn't curtsy in the video. wonder why?

I noticed Victoria did a little nod with her head...maybe her father doesn't want her to curtsy. Benedikte is the King's cousin, but she should have curtsied indeed.

I wish too Charlene stopped curtsying to king and queen who are, technically speaking, her pairs...

anyway...such a pity that bowing and curtsying seems just a thing belonging to royal circles.

Last edited:
Madeleine förs fram till altaret | SVT Play

lots of bowing and curtseying from the foreign royals as the King of Sweden arrives with Princess Madeleine at her wedding. Noticed that Sophie and Edward did not bow/curtsey.
From the video: The King and Madeleine come to a halt as the groom walks up to meet them, at a point just in front of Frederik and Mary. Immediately prior to this moment the royals closest to the King show deference, the last being Charlene, who curtsies, followed by Marie of Denmark who drops a hurried but deep curtsey, and Prince Manuel of Bavaria who gives a low bow of the head. The royals past this point, including Prince Joachim, remain motionless. After the King has "handed off" Madeleine to the groom, he kisses her and walks a few metres to take his place in the front row. The only royals to show deference as he does this are Daniel and Victoria who both give little nods of the head.

I suspect the rolling bow/curtsey rhythm was upset because most of the royal party may have assumed that the King and Madeleine would meet up with the groom at the very front (close to the altar). However, the procession came to an (unexpected?) halt when the groom left his traditional position to meet the King and Madeleine half way up the aisle and directly in front of the royal seating area. At this stage, half of the royal group had bowed/curtsied and half had not. When the King continued alone to his place next to the Queen, apart from Victoria and Daniel the collective decision of the royal guests seemed to be that the moment had been lost.

v At 1m 14s of the video the procession of the King and Madeleine comes to a halt as they meet up with the groom. The uncertainty of the royal guests is evidenced by Princess Marie, who drops a very hurried curtsey, the last [visible] person in the royal group to do so. Her head is marked by the red arrow. Prince Manuel is two rows back completing his head bow.
Thumbnail image is a screen shot from the video.

Attachments

• Wedding.jpg
    Wedding.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 501
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom