The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-23-2014, 10:19 AM
Serene Highness

Additional link in this article, quite appropriate for this thread
Queen's grandaughter Zara Phillips: No one knows how to curtsey anymore - Telegraph

Old 08-23-2014, 10:25 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpede View Post
Pin by tiarafan on Royals | Pinterest

which of the two is correct ? kate or sophie ?
They both look as if they're squatting and about to do something unmentionable.

When it comes to curtseying, I think the simple little bob should be as far as it goes nowadays.

Old 08-23-2014, 10:50 AM
Serene Highness - Picture of the Month Representative - Britain

^ It does.

I don't really see much difference between Kate and Princess Michael's curtsey. In fact, their foot placements look the same.

Looking through the photo gallery, I see that everyone does something a little differently. Some bow deeply, while others don't. Some keep their left foot flat, while others lift the heel. There doesn't seem to be a "correct" way when it comes to the placement of feet/legs, or how low one bows. It seems to be just about what's comfortable.

To be honest, I think all curtseys look rather odd. Sometimes it doesn't look too bad when the person is wearing a long dress (it hides the awkwardness of the position), but otherwise it always looks like the person doing the curtsey is about to take a tumble.
Old 08-23-2014, 10:52 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetticoatLane View Post
They both look as if they're squatting and about to do something unmentionable.

When it comes to curtseying, I think the simple little bob is should be as far as it goes nowadays.
true indeed. I'm glad us men just bow our heads rather than dipping low like that.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 08-23-2014, 01:11 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
true indeed. I'm glad us men just bow our heads rather than dipping low like that.
Well, there you have it. Makes things simple all around, and you won't have elderly women contorting themselves trying to show respect (or any other woman who is not agile enough to curtsey).

Abraham Lincoln
Old 08-23-2014, 09:18 PM
Serene Highness

In Queen Victoria of England's afternoon presentations, a lord-in-waiting would carefully lay out the young lady debutantes' three meter trains with a wand.
The young lady's name would be announced as she entered.
She performed a carefully practiced curtsey and kissed Queen Victoria's hand.
Then the young lady exited backwards, curtseying all the way to the doorway.
Old 08-23-2014, 09:43 PM
Courtier

Perhaps I'm cynical, but...

Perhaps the original curtseys (which had evolved from a simple bow in the 17th century) was merely a way for dirty old kings and others to get a look at a woman's body and legs.

Abraham Lincoln
Old 08-24-2014, 03:06 AM
Courtier

Curtsies look very good when ladies wear floor length dresses and/or skirts. In modern times these curtsies look awkward. The curtsies shown by the Countess of Wessex and the Duchess of Cambridge looked very awkward and out of date, even in such an historical setting and during a traditional event (Garter Procession at Windsor Castle).

When wearing a long gown, a révérence can be most gracious because of the flowing movement the dress makes and the invisibility of clumsy legs and heels.

Picture: I am not sure what Queen Máxima thought. My impression is: "Hela... what are you doing now? Really, don't to that...": http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-G21ug8Xsza...ada-espana.jpg
Old 08-24-2014, 10:52 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladongas View Post
Perhaps I'm cynical, but...

Perhaps the original curtseys (which had evolved from a simple bow in the 17th century) was merely a way for dirty old kings and others to get a look at a woman's body and legs.
Good one. However, it's more likely that the idea was to make yourself "smaller" than the higher-ranked person.
Old 08-25-2014, 12:34 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
Picture: I am not sure what Queen Máxima thought. My impression is: "Hela... what are you doing now? Really, don't to that...": http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-G21ug8Xsza...ada-espana.jpg
It's easy to see what happened there. Letizia is too close to Maxima and instead of moving her foot far enough back to allow a curtsey, her knees move forward and, as you can see, Maxima is leaning back to give her enough room.
Old 08-25-2014, 12:51 AM
Courtier

Sophie & Kate both look like they are squatting.
Old 08-26-2014, 04:14 AM
Gentry

Here is my favourite description of a curtsey, from Miss Nancy Mitford’s classic 1949 novel Love in a Cold Climate.
Lady Montdore loved anybody royal. It was a genuine emotion, quite disinterested, since she loved them as much in exile as in power, and the act of curtsying was the consummation of this love. Her curtsies, owing to the solid quality of her frame, did not recall the graceful movement of wheat before the wind. She scrambled down like a camel, rising again backside foremost like a cow, a strange performance, painful it might be supposed to the performer, the expression on whose face, however, belied this thought. Her knees cracked like revolver shots but her smile was heavenly.
I love the revolver shots!
Old 08-26-2014, 08:16 AM
Aristocracy

Bowing and Curtseying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubb Fuddler View Post
Here is my favourite description of a curtsey, from Miss Nancy Mitford’s classic 1949 novel Love in a Cold Climate.

Lady Montdore loved anybody royal. It was a genuine emotion, quite disinterested, since she loved them as much in exile as in power, and the act of curtsying was the consummation of this love. Her curtsies, owing to the solid quality of her frame, did not recall the graceful movement of wheat before the wind. She scrambled down like a camel, rising again backside foremost like a cow, a strange performance, painful it might be supposed to the performer, the expression on whose face, however, belied this thought. Her knees cracked like revolver shots but her smile was heavenly.

I love the revolver shots!

Oh the divine Lady Montdore.
I might have to read "Love..." again soon. It's been to long :)

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 08-28-2014, 09:28 AM
Gentry

To whom the (then) Duchess of York curtseyed? Is that King Olav of Norway? Thanks before.

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/23...f3a4c88d6e.jpg
Old 08-28-2014, 09:31 AM
Courtier

Yes that is King Olav. That curtsey was most unladylike, I must say.
Old 08-28-2014, 09:58 AM
Majesty

Don't see many pictures of Sarah curtseying and very nice indeed.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 08-28-2014, 11:44 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Don't see many pictures of Sarah curtseying and very nice indeed.
Very nice?

No, really not. The poor lady could not help it, but the curtsey to King Olav looked clumsy.

Here Lady Thatcher made a perfect curtsey but the Queen was pretty unladylike here, at least that is the capture here, in not even noticing...

http://topicstock.pantip.com/rajdumn...2937924-33.jpg
Old 08-28-2014, 11:51 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Very nice?

No, really not. The poor lady could not help it, but the curtsey to King Olav looked clumsy.

Here Lady Thatcher made a perfect curtsey but the Queen was pretty unladylike here, at least that is the capture here, in not even noticing...

I'm not understanding, what was clumsy about it? She dipped low for the King.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 08-28-2014, 08:41 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Very nice?

Sarah was also 6 or 7 months' pregnant with Princess Beatrice at the time.
Old 08-28-2014, 10:24 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
I'm not understanding, what was clumsy about it? She dipped low for the King.

Count me as another who doesn't get what was wrong with Sarah's curtsy?

« Sashes | - »