The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-22-2014, 11:51 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpede View Post
Pin by tiarafan on Royals | Pinterest

which of the two is correct ? kate or sophie ?
You curtsey and bow in the manner you like and feel comfortable with.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 08-22-2014, 12:43 PM
Majesty

Quote:

i see no difference between the curtsies. both look fine to me.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 08-22-2014, 02:28 PM
Serene Highness

Go to Google Images for 'curtsey to the Queen'...

...and you'll see a variety of curtsey styles. There is also a 3-frame picture of Autumn Phillips curtseying in a pair of white trousers, to which the Queen seems to make a 'grumpy cat' face. (I'm easily amused.)

Abraham Lincoln
Old 08-22-2014, 03:37 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

Both the Countess of Wessex and the Duchess of Cambridge did it correctly: both feet flat on the ground. It is just "going to the knees" and not a genuflect, so it is well done. I would give a 9 out of 10.

When the face would go down a bit too, it was 10 out of 10. See an example, the lady greeting Princess Beatrix faces their eyes down too: http://resolver.kb.nl/resolve?urn=ur...8-3&size=large

Old 08-22-2014, 03:49 PM
Heir Apparent

Sophie executes a traditional curtsey, Kate is doing the lazy gal's curtsey. Also, the traditional style offers a better center of gravity and one is less likely to topple over.

Kate's left foot is not flat, she's on her toes.
Old 08-22-2014, 04:05 PM
Heir Apparent

Kate executes a curtsey the correct way

Debretts advice on how to bow and curtsey correctly - Telegraph
Quote:
To curtsey, a woman should briefly bend the knees with one foot forward. The move should create a distinct bobbing movement, with the upper body kept straight and should be repeated when the member of the Royal family leaves.
Old 08-22-2014, 04:08 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
Sophie executes a traditional curtsey, Kate is doing the lazy gal's curtsey. Also, the traditional style offers a better center of gravity and one is less likely to topple over.

Kate's left foot is not flat, she's on her toes.
One thing people will have to remember, the Queen don't care for very perfect curtsies. She always did bobs when she was a princess.

It's all about doing it the way you feel comfortable doing it. Not everyone will do it the same way.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 08-22-2014, 04:31 PM
Heir Apparent

And the most important thing: a curtsey is always optional, never obligatory. I expect that under King Charles he will request his family not to curtsey for him. It must feel awkward for him that his own boys then have to bow for him.
Old 08-22-2014, 04:33 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
And the most important thing: a curtsey is always optional, never obligatory. I expect that under King Charles he will request his family not to curtsey for him. It must feel awkward for him that his own boys then have to bow for him.

What reason is there to expect this?
Old 08-22-2014, 04:43 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Well, the royal family will always curtsey and bow to the Monarch. William & Harry will always bow to their father when he's King. That's protocol and respect 101.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 08-22-2014, 04:44 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
What reason is there to expect this?
Modernization of the British monarchy. The Queen came on the throne more than 60 years ago. During a Reign things often remain the same: "tradition". With a new King suddenly new accents are set, see Spain, see Belgium, see the Netherlands. I think that The Prince of Wales will change things, and his son will again change things (he already does by not becoming a fulltime royal). The Prince of Wales and certainly his sons do not appear to me people who insist on a bow or a révérence and are -like their continental "colleagues"- more "a handshake will do perfectly, thank you". That is my personal observation.

When Queen Juliana came on the throne in 1948, after a 58 years Reign of her mother, she insisted that the "obligatory révérence" should go because she felt it created a "total unneccessary situation" between two people. Back then it was a "shock" but these days almost all monarchies have adapted this.

Old 08-22-2014, 04:48 PM
Courtier

Sophie does the curtsey the traditional way; I learnt it to do it that way too. The right knee goes into the back of the left knee.
Old 08-22-2014, 04:52 PM
Heir Presumptive

While things will change that doesn't mean we have to expect that Charles will do away with bowing and curtseying. I see no reason to believe that Charles will do away with it just because - it's already not mandatory in general, and only really expected when other royals themselves bow or curtesy to the monarch. You could argue that it might be odd for Charles to suddenly have his sons bow to him, but he's a man who has spent his entire life bowing to his mother and so I somehow doubt it'll be something that will be hard for him to adjust to. I can't see it as being any weirder than the moment when the new Queen Elizabeth was curtseyed to by her grandmother for the first time.
Old 08-22-2014, 04:56 PM
Imperial Majesty

Charles is old-school and the royals will always curtsey and bow to the Monarch. Yes, even William & Harry. I believe Prince George and future siblings will do the same to William.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 08-23-2014, 02:38 AM
Heir Apparent

None of us has a crystal ball. We will wait and see. I think that when The Prince of Wales becomes King, let us say in 2017 or something, and for sure when Prince William becomes King one/two decades later, it will be reflected in etiquette.

Note that already under Elizabeth II lots has been changed. The centuries-old practice of backward walking when leaving the room, or when guiding the Queen to her place at a State Banquet, or the Lord Chancellor after offering the Speech (State Opening of Parliament) has been abolished under her Reign (2009), so even under the current Reign once the unthinkable became thinkable: you can turn your back in the presence of the Queen.
Old 08-23-2014, 04:41 AM
Gentry

Quote:

IMHO, Sophie. More gracious.
Old 08-23-2014, 04:55 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladongas View Post
...and you'll see a variety of curtsey styles. There is also a 3-frame picture of Autumn Phillips curtseying in a pair of white trousers, to which the Queen seems to make a 'grumpy cat' face. (I'm easily amused.)
she did do a grumpy face :) however, in autumn's defence, her curtsies are in general very well done and deep, and she did curtsy even when in a private outing, so that makes her rather professional in my opinion. i wonder if other members of the family still curtsy when in private.

Quote:
And the most important thing: a curtsey is always optional, never obligatory.
mmm, i doubt it is really an option for sophie or kate, or any other member of the RF. to me, curtsying is definitely here to stay but who knows, maybe charles chooses otherwise when king.
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 08-23-2014, 09:59 AM
Heir Apparent

Curtseys definitely take some practice. http://www.apetiteprincess.com/wp-co...is04844987.jpg

I think Catherine's long legs cause her to look odd sometimes when she curtseys. Looking at Sophie, she places her right foot back about a foot with the ball of her shoe on the ground. It gives her great stability allowing her to dip her head.

This photo taken at Ascot you can see how much easier it is for both the Countess of Wessex and Princess Michael of Kent. Actually when you consider Princess Michael's age she is still able to nail it perfectly.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/...73_964x822.jpg

Now Catherine seems to put her left foot immediatly behind her right, leaving no space, so not only is she not stable but she is unable to dip very far because it makes her knees stick out at a ten to two configuration, leaving no great centre of gravity and little grace. In this shot if Catherine had gone any deeper those knees would have been a riot.

http://38.media.tumblr.com/dea17fa84...bz5io1_500.png

Mette-Marit: https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/i...94fCfrxYsujMGQ

Maxima: http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y24...rtsies0001.jpg

Letizia: http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y24...rtsies0001.jpg

And this because it just looks great! :http://cdn.images.express.co.uk/img/...ary/171004.jpg
Old 08-23-2014, 10:15 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
One thing people will have to remember, the Queen don't care for very perfect curtsies. She always did bobs when she was a princess.

It's all about doing it the way you feel comfortable doing it. Not everyone will do it the same way.

According to Debrett's, the "bob" is the correct way to curtsey, keeping the back straight.

Debretts advice on how to bow and curtsey correctly - Telegraph
Quote:
To curtsey, a woman should briefly bend the knees with one foot forward. The move should create a distinct bobbing movement, with the upper body kept straight and should be repeated when the member of the Royal family leaves.
Catherine performs her curtsey in a similar manner, with her back straight and a bob.
Old 08-23-2014, 10:19 AM
Heir Presumptive

Additional link in this article, quite appropriate for this thread
Queen's grandaughter Zara Phillips: No one knows how to curtsey anymore - Telegraph