The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-18-2014, 01:23 PM
Serene Highness

No kidding. I was kind of surprised that she would not dress more appropriately. I was under the assumption that she had more class than that. Hmm. She is a great actress though.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using The Royals Community mobile app

Old 02-20-2014, 05:45 PM
Serene Highness

Upon entering the room, ladies being presented at the French Imperial Court were required to curtsey to the Emperor Napoleon I and the Empress Josephine who sat on gilt chairs. Ladies had then to make a second curtsey, having advanced a little way into the room, then to take a few more paces before curtseying a third time.

Old 02-20-2014, 06:19 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States

Well, we have to remember too that back then there were no such beasts as training gyms and programs like Jenny Craig and Weight Watchers. Perhaps this mode of entry was the official exercise program of Napoleon's Empire?

(ducks and runs for cover)
Old 02-27-2014, 10:43 PM
Nobility

When I did a little curtsy to my piano teacher after playing and singing a song (the Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald) during my lesson tonight, she just chuckled. She's just a young woman, and really fun to be around!
Old 02-27-2014, 11:19 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahedwards2 View Post
When I did a little curtsy to my piano teacher after playing and singing a song (the Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald) during my lesson tonight, she just chuckled. She's just a young woman, and really fun to be around!
You've picked a master to choose your music from m'dear. Its very often done in the performing arts that one would bow or curtsy after a performance. I think this might have dated back to when top performers of the time were called on to give a command performance in front of crowned heads at court. If you performed for royals or had an aristocratic patron, you would have been deemed a success.

You going to try and give Seven Island Suite a try? That's one of my all time favorites.
Old 02-27-2014, 11:39 PM
Nobility

I don't know that one, but maybe somewhere down this road we call life! And of course, Mr. Gordon Lightfoot is a master!
Old 03-03-2014, 12:41 PM
Nobility

Perhaps someone here can confirm this or tell me I'm wrong, but when Catherine is Queen, will she still be expected to curtsey to Anne, Beatrice, Eugenie, et al when William is not around? I know they are blood royals and she is not, but she'll be a higher rank than them.

I have never heard of a Queen being expected to curtsey to a Princess, simply because of blood, but then it has been a while since England last had a Queen.
Old 03-03-2014, 01:25 PM
Majesty

No, when Catherine becomes Her Majesty The Queen, all members of the royal family will curtsey to her. At the moment, Catherine curtsies to no one but The Queen & Duke of Edinburgh. There was a story that Catherine is expected to curtsey to the Princesses of the Blood but none of that was true.

Members of the royal family don't curtsey to one another but to The Queen.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 03-03-2014, 03:01 PM
Courtier

I think I've seen some of them curtseying to Prince Phillip though, even Catherine...trying to remember the video I've seen. Thought perhaps Camilla did at the Christening?

LaRae
Old 03-10-2014, 10:53 AM
Majesty

Picture:
The then Crown Princess Sonja of Norway Curtsey to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II in 1969-
We give our all for Norway

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 03-10-2014, 11:51 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
No, when Catherine becomes Her Majesty The Queen, all members of the royal family will curtsey to her. At the moment, Catherine curtsies to no one but The Queen & Duke of Edinburgh. There was a story that Catherine is expected to curtsey to the Princesses of the Blood but none of that was true.

Members of the royal family don't curtsey to one another but to The Queen.
if we lived in the Ancien Régime French court, it would have been normal for members of the royal family to curtsey/bow to one another. But if Catherine lived there (in the same position she is now), she would have been expected to curtsey to the Regent Couple and the Heir and his consort. the other princes and princesses of blood should have bowed/curtsied to her.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:30 PM
Gentry

Two women curtsey to the Queen on Commonwealth Day service today. (video, 1:37)

The Queen wears pink while Camilla and Sophie match at Commonwealth Day service | Mail Online
Old 03-11-2014, 03:11 PM
Serene Highness

Queen Elizabeth looks enchanting in pink.

Old 03-12-2014, 01:31 AM
Gentry

Mariano Rajoy Brey (Prime Minister of Spain) kissed Infanta Elena's hand today.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-jp7d8tj-HS...9yn2dsg0Mx.jpg

The King of Spain kissed Elvira Fernández Balboa's hand (wife of Mariano Rajoy Brey) today.

http://www.bekia.es/images/galeria/5...ctimas-11m.jpg

And the (quick) curtseys. (video)

http://www.abc.es/videos-espana/2014...325303001.html
Old 03-13-2014, 10:53 AM
Gentry

Two women curtseyed to the Queen & Prince Consort during banquet at Christianborg Palace yesterday.

http://www.noblesseetroyautes.com/wp...k16unnamed.jpg
Old 03-14-2014, 05:54 AM
Gentry

The Duchess of Gloucester curtseys to the Queen of the Belgians. (video, 0:31)
But strangely, she didn't curtseys to the King.

Old 03-14-2014, 09:47 AM
Heir Presumptive

I'd have been thrown by that kiss on the hand. Well done!
“The two important things I did learn were that you are as powerful and strong as you allow yourself to be, and that the most difficult part of any endeavor is taking the first step, making the first decision"Robyn Davidson
Old 03-14-2014, 12:22 PM
Heir Apparent

I think the semi-official situation contributed a slight breach of the protocol.
To wander on in a huge forest without thought of return. To stand upon the shore and gaze after a boat that disappears behind distant islands. To contemplate the flight of wild geese seen and lost among the clouds.
And, subtle shadows of bamboo on bamboo." Zeami Motokiyo
Old 03-16-2014, 02:29 PM

Penelope Keith at Windsor Castle for investiture honour - Get Surrey

Dame Penelope Keith curtseys to Her Majesty The Queen

God Save The Queen!

Old 03-16-2014, 03:32 PM

https://mobile.twitter.com/ArthurJEd...7683841/photos

The Hon Mrs Legge-Bourke LVO curtseys to HRH The Prince of Wales courtesy of Arthur Edwards' Twitter account

God Save The Queen!