Bowing and Curtseying

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I thought that was interesting...I know it's not required, don't see it done all the time either.

She's not an HRH either...not sure how protocol works. She gets the HRH when William becomes the PoW right?

LaRae

Lol, Catherine has been an HRH since the very second she married William. Third lady in the land too.

I'm glad some folks do continue to curtsy these days. I've seen some American ladies do it and they never seem to get it right.

The Americans really only seeing curtsying in movies or tv not normally in real life since we are sans Royal Family here across the pond. They probably go down too far instead of a quick little dip. I watched a video on YouTube the palace official gave Katie Couric who was interviewing W&H for diamond jubilee a curtesy lesson before she met the Queen at a garden party.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Outside certain parts of the US that keep to older traditions Americans do not curtsey for any reason...so we have no background for it or reason to 'practice' it. I figure if an American even attempts it they should get credit for it.

Myself the only person I would kneel to would be the Holy Father.

LaRae

I'd have been surpised if they hadn't. Bhutan is pretty traditional, and I don't see them doing away with the custom of bowing as some monarchies have.

There are many videos/picture of them with the King/Queen, but not when they greeted each other. I watched a live video from Bhutan Broadcasting Service, and I think they were the only broadcaster allowed inside the palace to cover the greetings. The live video (which are no longer available) was also posted in the Official Visit to Bhutan thread.

I consider myself a traditionalist. I love the long black veils that they wore when King George died and the "the Queens" pictures. Some things need updating like my phone when Samsung sends a update but tradition is not one. I say long live Traditions .

I have seen (then) Princess Máxima of the Netherlands going down her knees for the King (picture), so apparently the révérence is observed at the Bhutanese court.

I did not see the video coverage from the 70th festivities, but did PRINCESS (former Queen) Beatrix curtsy towards King CG and Queen Silvia?
(Honestly I hope not, but officially she is now lower in rank, right?)
Bye Bine

Last edited:
I did not see the video coverage from the 70th festivities, but did PRINCESS (former Queen) Beatrix curtsy towards King CG and Queen Silvia?
Bye Bine

No, she reverted back to the style she had before her kingship, like her mother and her grandmother. She remains a former Sovereign and is treated as such. She does not curtsey to her former colleagues.

You can see in the group picture that also the Swedes do not regard Princess Beatrix as "just a Princess so-and-so": she had a prominent placing with reigning Sovereigns: picture.

Bye Bine

duc et pair explained it well, it does not work that way. even if a princess now, beatrix is the former sovereign and wouldn't need to curtsy to current sovereigns. otherwise she'd need to curtsy to her son all the time, which we obviously know would be incorrect.

the same occurs with emeritus kings and queens (JC and sofia, albert and paola): although they didn't have their title changed to princes and princesses, they are styled as king and queen purely for courtesy purposes, and it would be wrong for them to have to curtsy to other sovereigns.

Today is May 4th, Remembrance Day in the Netherlands. (Picture) It is also the only day we see public bowing to the King. Everyone who lays a wreath at the National Monument in Amsterdam makes a bow first to the King and then turns to the Monument, to lay the wreath. The Commander of the Armed Forces and the Commanders of the Army, the Navy, the Air Force and the Royal Marechaussee do not bow but make a salute.

:previous:
Ah, a really nice bow from that young man and perfectly executed, well done to him!

Back
Top Bottom