The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-25-2013, 04:36 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
Royalty is not royalty depending on whether or not they have a throne. Former royals who do not have thrones are pretenders to a throne. The BRF does a lot in continuing to recognize monarchs who were once on a throne that no longer exists, but has no obligation to do so for someone who succeeded to the head of a house that no longer exists - especially if it's contested within that house that they even hold that position.

It is one thing for the second in line to the British throne to bow to a king who was forced to abdicate. It is another thing for him to now to a pretender who never legally held the title, or a pretender who never legally held a title and is disputed as to whether or not he or she would hold that title if it still legally existed.

There is a huge difference between the Cambridges bowing and curtsying to Michael I of Romania and Maria Vladimirovna or Nicholas Romanov.

A Royal House doesn't cease to exist just because the Monarchy is overthrown, and the Head of a Royal House has to be respect for his position.

And Grand Duchess Maria Vladimirovna is always invited for Royal weddings and celebrations, so, in my opinion, the other Royals recognize her as the Head of the Russian Imperial House. We never see Nicholas Romanoff in such events.

And no one is ever forced to bow or curtsey, it's a matter of respect and tradition.

Old 03-25-2013, 05:15 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrazilianEmpire View Post
So, that means that the Duke of Cambridge would bow to the Duke of Braganza, to Grand Duchess Maria Vladimirovna, to Prince Luiz, or to any other Head of a Royal House?
On official or state events, the Duke of Cambridge will bow to all foreign royals who hold higher rank than him. That includes both reigning and non-reigning royals such as Grand Duchess Maria Vladimirovna (a generally acknowledged head of the House of Romanov) and Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden (an Heiress Apparent to a Throne).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I would imagine that it would depend on whether or not the Royal House were actually reigning?
Actually, from the perspective of the royals, it matters little whether a royal is from a reigning or non-reigning House. For instance, the Duchess of Cambridge curtseyed to Crown Princess Margareta of Romania and Queen Margarita of Bulgaria - both representatives of currently non-reigning royal houses.

Although bowing or curtseying is entirely upon the will of an individual, most royals (both from reigning and non-reigning houses) choose to show respect for their foreign counterparts by doing so on official and/or state events. On more relaxed (unofficial or semi-official) events, they may bow or curtsey only to the Monarch, his/her consort, and possibly to the Heir(ess) Apparent and his/her consort. Usually, respect is also shown towards royals of advanced age, regardless of their ranking (unless they are very minor royals).

Old 03-25-2013, 05:32 PM
Heir Presumptive

Thank you, Artemisia for clearing this all up.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:37 PM
Heir Presumptive

Yes Artemisia, good manners and good taste always should prevail. And if not, well then you have to ask if you care about that person's opinion anyway?
Old 03-31-2013, 09:11 PM
Gentry

Sophie, Countess of Wessex, turns heads with her skin-tight skirt as she attends Easter service at Windsor... That £860 Easter bonnet helped, too! | Mail Online

Scroll down, find the video. You can see two cute curtseys for Her Majesty. =)
Old 03-31-2013, 09:13 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Those twin girls were quite adorable. Lovely curtseys too.
Old 04-01-2013, 12:44 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia

Those twin girls were quite adorable. Lovely curtseys too.
In your opinion, what is the right age for young children to be taught to bow/curtsy? I know in the olden days it was taught in school.
Old 04-01-2013, 02:40 AM
Gentry

I have a question: who is the lady with brown coat who take the flowers from Her Majesty in the video? Is that Richenda Elton, Baroness Elton? Thanks for answering. =)
Old 04-01-2013, 03:12 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahedwards2 View Post
In your opinion, what is the right age for young children to be taught to bow/curtsy? I know in the olden days it was taught in school.
.. as soon as they can walk...
Old 04-01-2013, 07:07 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darnius View Post
I have a question: who is the lady with brown coat who take the flowers from Her Majesty in the video? Is that Richenda Elton, Baroness Elton? Thanks for answering. =)
No, I am afraid that is not the Baroness Elton. The woman in the video is Lady Susan Hussey, Baroness Hussey of North Bradley (the wife of Marmaduke Hussey, Baron Hussey of North Bradley) - the Queen's Woman of the Bedchamber.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahedwards2 View Post
To be entirely honest, I am not certain bowing or curtseying is necessary to be taught to children of any age. If there is a possibility of meeting the Sovereign or other senior members of the Royal Family, I am sure they'll master how to do it fairly quickly. But otherwise, I don't really see why would it be necessary to teach children bowing or curtseying at all.

Of course, I don't live in a Monarchy so perhaps my opinion is not very relevant.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:27 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post
No, I am afraid that is not the Baroness Elton. The woman in the video is Lady Susan Hussey, Baroness Hussey of North Bradley (the wife of Marmaduke Hussey, Baron Hussey of North Bradley) - the Queen's Woman of the Bedchamber.
This is Lady Susan Hussey:
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m7...btf2o1_500.jpg

The woman in the video is somebody else.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:08 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spheno View Post
This is Lady Susan Hussey:
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m7...btf2o1_500.jpg

The woman in the video is somebody else.
Here is a good picture of Lady Susan and the woman in brown coat from the video.
They have similar features although I can't say with absolutely certainty they are the same person. She doesn't look like Baroness Elton to me though.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:25 AM
Majesty

No, she's another lady in waiting. She's not Lady Susan Hussey nor Richenda.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:34 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Do you have any idea who? I am 100% certain it's not Ann Fortune Fitzroy, Duchess of Grafton. Doesn't look like Diana Maxwell, Baroness Farnham or Mrs Philippa De Pass either.

Could it be Virginia Ogilvy, Countess of Airlie? I find that a bit doubtful though because the Countess usually attends major events only with the Queen such as state or official visits, banquets, but is very rarely (if ever) present on daily engagements. You can see Virginia Ogilvy in the video below (about 0:20 to 0:23) but unfortunately the quality of the video is abysmal.

Old 04-01-2013, 07:26 PM
Gentry

Yes, she is the Countess of Airlie who accompanied the Queen to Virginia in May 2007. =)
Old 04-05-2013, 09:24 AM

Indeed. She's my favorite secondary character of the series.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:29 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Nice curtsey from Infanta Pilar of Spain to her sister in law The Queen at the 33rd second!

Old 04-05-2013, 10:56 PM
Gentry

A curtsey from Carey Mulligan to Her Majesty. =)

i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/04/05/article-2304153-1918B78E000005DC-613_634x444.jpg
Old 04-08-2013, 10:55 PM
Gentry

I always thought the late Baroness Thatcher's curtsey is very respectful.

73630561_zpsa0164bee.jpg Photo by fontainhas | Photobucket
Old 04-09-2013, 09:10 AM
Courtier

Indeed..I will try to find some more good pics and vids of her curtsies..
Meanwhile I have a point to make..
Sometimes the monarch (or whoever receives curtsey) rushes to kiss that person even before she completes her curtsey. I feel they have to wait till the person completely gets up and then go for a kiss..
http://204.75.12.232/images/RRV/RRV07471.jpg
This is a pic I got from "Mixed Royals" forumm..Particularly uncomfortable and awkward for that Swedish Princess..