The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-14-2013, 07:16 PM
Nobility

From the Daily mail pics; it look like Camilla is holding on to King Abdullah and Queen Rania while performing her curtsey.

If she needs support, I think Charles should have held her hand. Prince Michael holds his wife's hand when she curtseys.

Old 03-20-2013, 08:13 PM
Commoner

A curtsey to the Duchess of Cambridge.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-88_lklelIr...rch20__22_.jpg

Old 03-20-2013, 08:26 PM
Courtier

Very nice.

LaRae
Old 03-21-2013, 04:01 AM
Courtier

I d wait for her to become the Princess of Wales to bow..
Not too soon..
Old 03-22-2013, 12:20 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darnius
A curtsey to the Duchess of Cambridge.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-88_lklelIr...rch20__22_.jpg
That's not really a curtsy, though; I don't see the knees bent at all.
Old 03-22-2013, 12:47 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I may be an American but I wouldn't mind bowing my head to The Queen and senior members of the royal family.
I agree with you here -it's a sign of respect if you ask me. Unless I am their countrymen or a fellow royal who perhaps should courtesy, then I likely would not do such, however, I would happily and willingly give a nice bow of my head when shaking a hand.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:28 AM
Heir Presumptive

Haakon and Mette-Marit at their wedding
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m1...mfwso2_250.gif
Old 03-22-2013, 05:33 AM
Serene Highness

Prince Luiz of Brazil, Prince Duarte of Portugal and Grand Duchess Maria Vladimirovna of Russia, as well as other Heads of Royal and Imperial Houses, have to bow and curtseying to reigning Monarchs, or are they considered "of the same level"?
Old 03-22-2013, 05:39 AM
Nobility

Yes of course they have to - first of all, they where never reigning Monarchs, but just 'Head of House', and if you look at pictures, where QueenEII greets visiting Monarchs from Europe - you see, that they too bow/curtsey to her - as she is the host and the most senior; They do it out of respect for each other - even if they are closely related.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:07 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

The Infanta Pilar of Spain curtseying to her sister in law,Queen Sofia on Wednesday night at a Palace dinner of the IOC.

imgbox - fast, simple image host
Old 03-22-2013, 10:32 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nice Nofret View Post
Yes of course they have to - first of all, they where never reigning Monarchs, but just 'Head of House', and if you look at pictures, where QueenEII greets visiting Monarchs from Europe - you see, that they too bow/curtsey to her - as she is the host and the most senior; They do it out of respect for each other - even if they are closely related.
Thank you.

But someone who is "just" a Prince or Princess, like William, Harry and Catherine. They are required to bow and curtsey to a Head of a Royal or Imperial House?

I saw the Duchess of Cambridge curtseying to Crown Princess Margaretha of Romania.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:40 AM

Royal Visit of HRH Princess Sirindhorn of Thailand to Denmark and Norway

Bowing and Curtseying by Danish

Bowing and Curtseying by Nowegian

And
HRH Princess Sirindhorn curtseyed to HM The King of Norway.

All of them are captured from the Daily Royal News, Thailand.

The news said the princess was going to meet HM The Queen of Denmark too, but I don't know if she did or not, there's no picture about it.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:45 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrazilianEmpire View Post
Thank you.

But someone who is "just" a Prince or Princess, like William, Harry and Catherine. They are required to bow and curtsey to a Head of a Royal or Imperial House?

I saw the Duchess of Cambridge curtseying to Crown Princess Margaretha of Romania.

You can see that very well on many pictures ... they are well mannered royals, of course they do it proper.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:58 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nice Nofret View Post
You can see that very well on many pictures ... they are well mannered royals, of course they do it proper.
So, that means that the Duke of Cambridge would bow to the Duke of Braganza, to Grand Duchess Maria Vladimirovna, to Prince Luiz, or to any other Head of a Royal House?
Old 03-25-2013, 03:09 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
So, that means that the Duke of Cambridge would bow to the Duke of Braganza, to Grand Duchess Maria Vladimirovna, to Prince Luiz, or to any other Head of a Royal House?
I would imagine that it would depend on whether or not the Royal House were actually reigning?
Old 03-25-2013, 03:15 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I would imagine that it would depend on whether or not the Royal House were actually reigning?
I don't think so, because the Duchess of Cambridge curtsied to the Crown Princess of Romania, who's not from a reigning House.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:12 PM
Courtier

Romania/Bulgaria/Greece were recently deposed monarchies, and present monarchs/heirs benefit from the British principle of "Once a monarch...."..But how can we expect William/Kate to bow/curtsey to those Braganza/Vladimirovna/Louis , who have never occupied the throne/never been CP, just because their ancestors long back happend to sit on a throne of a kingdom once upon a time existed on the map...Noways..
Old 03-25-2013, 04:15 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkrish View Post
Romania/Bulgaria/Greece were recently deposed monarchies, and present monarchs/heirs benefit from the British principle of "Once a monarch...."..But how can we expect William/Kate to bow/curtsey to those Braganza/Vladimirovna/Louis , who have never occupied the throne/never been CP, just because their ancestors long back happend to sit on a throne of a kingdom once upon a time existed on the map...Noways..
It's a matter of respect. Many of Royals from deposed Monarchies are higher in rank than William and Catherine.

Royalty is Royalty, no matter if they have a Throne.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:30 PM
Courtier

Thats what I am saying, "Royalty is Royalty" holds good for Greece/Romania/Bulgaria, maybe even Serbia/Yugoslavia..
But what is this..Brazil..Russia..France..Hawaii..Now dont tell me about the 300-plus kingdoms in India..No way..They are gone for generations..
I do not consider them as royals at all. Of course I respect the feelings of those who still follow them..They do so because they see a link between their countries long-past history with the present generations..It definitely gives them a sense of pride and history..
Old 03-25-2013, 04:30 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:

It's a matter of respect. Many of Royals from deposed Monarchies are higher in rank than William and Catherine.

Royalty is Royalty, no matter if they have a Throne.
Royalty is not royalty depending on whether or not they have a throne. Former royals who do not have thrones are pretenders to a throne. The BRF does a lot in continuing to recognize monarchs who were once on a throne that no longer exists, but has no obligation to do so for someone who succeeded to the head of a house that no longer exists - especially if it's contested within that house that they even hold that position.

It is one thing for the second in line to the British throne to bow to a king who was forced to abdicate. It is another thing for him to now to a pretender who never legally held the title, or a pretender who never legally held a title and is disputed as to whether or not he or she would hold that title if it still legally existed.

There is a huge difference between the Cambridges bowing and curtsying to Michael I of Romania and Maria Vladimirovna or Nicholas Romanov.