The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-11-2013, 10:08 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Actually if I recall rightly, its always been the Archbishop of Canterbury that has acted on behalf of the Pope as far as coronations in England. When England split from the Roman Catholic church and formed the Church of England, that tradition was upheld.

I think the whole Divine Right thing started when Constantine molded the new Roman church and declared himself as the divine head of the church. The Donation of Constantine was a document held by the Vatican passing this "divinity" to the head of the church (Pope). It still exists such as the Pope is considered to be infallible in matters of faith. Henry VIII never declared himself to be either divine or infallible but retained the title of "Defender of the Faith" which the Queen holds to this day.

All this makes me realize just how far back some of the traditions that accompany a new king or queen has or bowing and curtseying as a mark of respect. It would be a sad loss if they were shelved as archaic or antiquedated as they're so rich in history.
I see your point, I just find it kind of offensive when people start with how they don't have to bow or curtsy anymore, yet all this was started long ago for set reasons

Old 02-11-2013, 10:54 PM
Serene Highness

And before people began bowing and curtsy for royals and nobles they were expected to prostrate or genuflect in front of them, today it's almost only done within religious practices.

Old 02-12-2013, 12:30 AM
Majesty

I may be an American but I wouldn't mind bowing my head to The Queen and senior members of the royal family.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:04 AM
Gentry

A curtsey for Pope Benedict XVI?
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/...34_306x463.jpg
Old 02-12-2013, 01:16 AM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darnius View Post
I'm not sure that's an actual curtsey per se. It is customary for the failthfull to kneel and kiss the Pope's ring though. I think that is what is happening in that picture.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:04 AM
Imperial Majesty

Crown princess Victoria met today Mr. Karim Ghellab, the Speaker of the House of the Representatives of Morocco.
http://kuvakauppa.lehtikuva.fi/edori...f854ea3690344c
http://imageshack.us/a/img41/5121/94679298.jpg
Old 02-22-2013, 10:58 AM
Majesty

Young Girl Curtsey and Present Flowers to HM Queen Elizabeth II:
http://hrhwindsor.tumblr.com/image/43684992406
Old 03-09-2013, 11:58 PM
Nobility

I watched the movie "Will and Kate" yesterday, and at the part when Kate learns to curtsy, she's wearing heels; and falls over. I was just wearing socks on my feet with no shoes, so I decided to try it. It's a lot harder than it looks! I was wobbling and had to put my hand on the top of my desk!
Old 03-10-2013, 12:01 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahedwards2 View Post
I watched the movie "Will and Kate" yesterday, and at the part when Kate learns to curtsy, she's wearing heels; and falls over. I was just wearing socks on my feet with no shoes, so I decided to try it. It's a lot harder than it looks! I was wobbling and had to put my hand on the top of my desk!
I laughed out loud! thank you

And you are right - it isn't that easy!

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 03-10-2013, 03:20 AM
Heir Presumptive

It's much easier if you learn to do it when you're a child. All us good little British Subjects at my school were taught to curtsy "just in case".

I really wish I'd been taught to ride a bicycle instead of curtsy. That would have been far more useful.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:57 AM
Majesty

Picture:
Princess Eugenie Curtsey Before Her Majesty The Queen:
LeRoyalRealm (Princess Eugenie curtseying to the Queen.)

The Princess of Wales Curtsey to Her Majesty The Queen:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/78553575@N00/321482483/

The Prince of Wales Bow to His Majesty King Abdullah of Jordan:
http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/ne...hoto/163515405
Old 03-12-2013, 07:54 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Camilla curtsey's to Queen Rania of Jordan,

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...e-Charles.html
Old 03-12-2013, 08:43 PM
Gentry

And to King Abdullah of Jordan.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/...85_634x829.jpg
Old 03-12-2013, 09:46 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Lumutqueen, what do you think of the Duchess' curtsey? I thought Queen Rania approached ready for a European double kiss - and then Camilla pulled the curtsey out.

I give the Duchess or Cornwall a lot a credit for ALWAYS doing the right thing in public - even when it is not expected. She is very old school that way.

And then she shrugs in horror and laughs at how badly her painted rock turned out.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:53 PM
Serene Highness

When are they going to get that woman some proper underpinnings???? Good grief.

LaRae
Old 03-12-2013, 10:07 PM
Heir Presumptive

Rania is a Queen; it was only right and proper that Camilla curtsey to her.

As for the totally unnecessary and entirely superficial comparison to Kate, the only thing those two women currently have in common is being slender and having long, dark hair and being married to men who are or will probably be King.

Rania is a stunning natural beauty, and she has a grace and dignity and serenity about her. As well as her outstanding physical qualities, she is well educated, highly intelligent, an accomplished speaker, and a tireless worker for her causes. She has made a huge contribution to children's education both at home and worldwide. I have the greatest admiration and respect for her, and Kate would do well to emulate her. Hers is the sort of active contribution that I would like to see the British RF get more involved in. It would make them a helluva lot more relevant today.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:50 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

I agree on both accounts with you, Roslyn.
The curtsey was proper, while the comparison insinuated by DM was very unnecessary, not to mention, baseless..
Old 03-13-2013, 08:07 AM
Courtier

How come no pics of Charles bowing to the King..
Generally he bows to Kings 'properly', but for Queens he combines that bow with 'kiss on hand'..(even to his mom).. Actually William does that 'solitary neck-bow' better than Charles (not combining bow with kiss on hand). He almost touches his chin to the lower of his neck.. Much better than his dad and grandpa..
And BTW its nice to see all monarchs and consorts treat Charles and Camilla as their 'equals'..
Whether its age or 'seniority' or accomplishments or just being British..Whatever..
Old 03-13-2013, 08:18 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Here is the one picture of Charles supposedly bowing to Abdullah, although it just look like he's looking at the floor IMO.
Prince Charles Prince Of Wales Shakes Hands With King

Monarchs and Consorts do not treat Charles and Camilla as their equals, we can see that by the bowing/curtseying. Charles is heir to the throne, Abdullah is King same goes for Rania and Camilla, therefore they are not equal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
Lumutqueen, what do you think of the Duchess' curtsey? I thought Queen Rania approached ready for a European double kiss - and then Camilla pulled the curtsey out.
I'm not sure the order of the pictures from the DM article so I'm trying to find a video. It looks to me that Camilla curtseyed as she should have, got up and then Rania went to kiss her cheeks. Which makes logical sense to me. It's wonderful to see Rania embrace Camilla in such a way, for me personally it's like acceptance into a club.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:37 AM
Courtier

Prince Charles Prince Of Wales Shakes Hands With King

Nice..A perfect British bow..
Thats what I was looking for..