The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-06-2012, 03:29 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkrish View Post
Oh, Osipi..my point is not the flag or paying respects to it. It is about curtseying to the flag. Do normal citizens in Norway/ Denmark/Sweden curtsey to their flags? Then why did the Princesses do? They should have bowed to it. The way of paying respect to a flag is same for everyone, be it the monarch or a commoner..they should have bowed to the flag, just like every other of their countrymen/women do..
Curtseying is a way of showing respect to an individual, not a flag..
I would amend that statement to read that the way of paying respect to a flag is the same for everyone in their own country. OK so that's close to the answer you were expecting to get eh? Different strokes for different folks.

I looked up different meanings of the word curtsey. In none of them did it specificially mention that it is limited to individuals only.

curtsy, curtsey [ˈkɜːtsɪ]
n pl -sies, -seys
a formal gesture of greeting and respect made by women in which the knees are bent, the head slightly bowed, and the skirt held outwards.

In this regards, a woman was well within protocol to make a curtsey to the national flag. When I think more about it, this makes sense as with how the processional into the church went, bowing and curseying (choice of the person) could also have represented paying respects to the head of state. Anyone remember if the congregation bowed as either Henri or MT made their way up the aisle?

Another little interesting tidbit I happened to find while we're on this subject of respects to a flag. Sometimes even flags do their own little bow (or curtsey if its windy). Its called dipping the flag. This practice also varies from country to country. For instance, the US flag is never dipped.

Dipping - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-06-2012, 03:51 PM
Heir Apparent

I don't think the flag in question was the national flag. I think, as with The Netherlands, the flag that people were honoring was the State flag bearing the arms of the nation/royal house.

Old 11-06-2012, 04:43 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
I don't think the flag in question was the national flag. I think, as with The Netherlands, the flag that people were honoring was the State flag bearing the arms of the nation/royal house.
You are absolutely correct. The flag that was used at the wedding was the Civil flag and used only within the Grand Duchy. Thanks for correcting me. I just love learning new things every day.
Old 11-20-2012, 04:52 PM
Courtier

You see in this video, from 3:35 onwards, when Princess Elizabeth returns after tour, she was received by Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Consort. But Elizabeth did not curtsey her mother. I think it was a major miss.
And it was not a family thing, it was a full blown official event with all ministers and officials present. SO she should have curtseyed..

I already posted this matter, but now I got the video link so i put it again..
Old 11-20-2012, 04:55 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

I wouldn't call it official in any shape or form; just family members greeting their loved ones at the train station. I suppose Princess Elizabeth could have made a curtsey before hugging and kissing her mother, but given just how informal everything seemed in the video, it would have been quite unnecessary.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:25 PM
Aristocracy

I guess it depends on the person. Please note that they were all royal and Elizabeth and Margaret are First and second in line to the throne. I am not sure I would bow or cursty to my family member.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:03 PM
Nobility

How old is too old to curtsy without falling over or your knees giving out? I mean Queen Mary was 82 and had arthritis when her granddaughter became queen, and she gave her a to-the-floor curtsy.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:20 PM
Serene Highness

Marilyn Monroe curtseying to queen Elizabeth:
Old 11-20-2012, 11:37 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post

I wouldn't call it official in any shape or form; just family members greeting their loved ones at the train station. I suppose Princess Elizabeth could have made a curtsey before hugging and kissing her mother, but given just how informal everything seemed in the video, it would have been quite unnecessary.
Artemisia, in the commentary it is said that they were joined by several ministers and officials. Just they were not shown. So its a bit official. All the Queen's children, or for that matter, any current monarch's kids curtsey their parents when meeting them, official or not..
Old 11-21-2012, 02:13 AM
Nobility

I read that Princesses Elizabeth and Margaret hugged their parents when they left the house as Duke and Duchess and curtsied to them when they returned after the abdication as King and Queen.
Old 11-21-2012, 02:28 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKeen
I read that Princesses Elizabeth and Margaret hugged their parents when they left the house as Duke and Duchess and curtsied to them when they returned after the abdication as King and Queen.
No, they were told that when their father came home at lunch he would be King, and that they would have to curtsy to him.
Old 11-21-2012, 07:40 AM
Heir Apparent

In The King's Speech, the two princesses curtsied to him after he became King. I wonder if that really happened.
Old 11-21-2012, 02:20 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKeen View Post
I find all these phrases a bit dramatic, arent they?

Hugged them while they left, curtsied when they arrived..
Climbed up as Princess, climbed down as Queen..
Curtsied her first and then scolded her for wearing short skirt..

They may not be factually wrong, but seem to be added just to endear the people emotionally to the said royals.
Anyways, its always cool to read such things.
Such 'dramatism' is found more in the writings and commentaries of 50s, 60s, and invariably in all British Pathe videos. I hardly see it nowadays.
Old 11-21-2012, 03:09 PM
Serene Highness

Prince and Princess Michael of Kent receive curtsey from Leonie Frieda at launch of book The Deadly Sisterhood at Kensington Palace | Mail Online

Thought it was a nice illustration for this thread..
Old 11-21-2012, 03:33 PM
Majesty

I know some people get into the technical stuff of who should curtsey to who but I really don't think Catherine curtsey's to Charles & Camilla. At least I haven't seen her do so. I think the main people Catherine and other young members just curtsey to The Queen.
Old 11-21-2012, 03:53 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

I think the rule of thumb these days is that you curtsey to the Monarch and his/her spouse, and then only the first time you meet them during the day.
It has to be some super-official (or a more relaxed official one, like the Jubilee Lunch) event for more curtsies to pop up.

Most of the discussion in this thread as to who must curtsey to whom is indeed technicality; it might have been relevant a century or even a couple of decades ago, when protocol and etiquette were strictly adhered to, but not in our times.

Mostly, it's a question of precedence; for instance, strictly speaking Kate should curtsey to Camilla and Sophie (when they are on their own, unaccompanied by spouses), but we have never seen that happen. On the other hand, Mette-Marit of Norway shouldn't curtsey to her peers (fellow Crown Princesses) and Charlene of Monaco - to anyone at all (since she's the wife of Head of State), yet we have seen both curtsey to Camilla (who is Mette-Marit's equal and actually has lower rank than Charlene).
Old 11-21-2012, 03:55 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I know some people get into the technical stuff of who should curtsey to who but I really don't think Catherine curtsey's to Charles & Camilla. At least I haven't seen her do so. I think the main people Catherine and other young members just curtsey to The Queen.
Oh Come on, they dont keep curtseying each other..They just bow and curtsey the Queen and DoE.. I doubt if they bow/curtsey DoE..cos I havent seen anyone curtseying him, even when they both are together. This year Trooping balcony was the first time I saw someone(Kate) from family curtsey him
Old 11-21-2012, 04:04 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post
On the other hand, Mette-Marit of Norway shouldn't curtsey to her peers (fellow Crown Princesses) and Charlene of Monaco - to anyone at all (since she's the wife of Head of State), yet we have seen both curtsey to Camilla (who is Mette-Marit's equal and actually has lower rank than Charlene).
That probably have to do with them seeing Camilla as senior in age, at least here in Sweden when curtseying was common a younger woman curtseyed for a woman older than her, even if both had the same rank, I would guess it was the same in Norway.
Old 11-21-2012, 04:15 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

In my country as well age is arguably more important than rank and reverence, respect towards older people are a norm.
In Matte-Marit's case, I agree it was more a mark of a respect towards a somewhat older lady (and a good friend, judging by their interaction) than a question of protocol. The same probably applies to Charlene as well; she is one of the youngest Consorts around so it's a bit hard for her to navigate.
Old 11-21-2012, 04:50 PM
Courtier

Charlene is HSH, Camilla has title HRH.
Princess Mary of Teck was HSH before marriage therefore her position in family was very low.

« Sashes | - »