The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-12-2012, 03:21 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraS3514 View Post
I could be mistaken, but wasn't one of the purposes of a curtsey to "lower" yourself in respect - i.e. make your head lower than the higher ranking royal's? If that is the case, then Diana's deep curtseys make sense, since she was so tall. Just wondering...
Might be, but ages, I mean, centuries ago..But now it is just a gesture of courtesy..Diana's curtsey was her own style..It has nothing to do with 'fulfilling the purpose'.

Old 10-13-2012, 07:03 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkrish

Might be, but ages, I mean, centuries ago..But now it is just a gesture of courtesy..Diana's curtsey was her own style..It has nothing to do with 'fulfilling the purpose'.
That's true, women can curtsy any way they want to.

Old 10-13-2012, 08:09 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Infanta Elena,Duchess of Lugo curtseys to her father the King in Madrid yesterday.

Terra Mobile España
Old 10-13-2012, 10:06 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post
Below is the video of Anne (supposedly) curtseying to the Duchess of Cornwall. Go to 04:07

It does look like a curtsey, and Anne was certainly not even looking at the Queen, so presumably the curtsey was intended for someone else. Camilla is standing right in front of her, so it's logical to assume Anne was curtseying to her sister-in-law.

This said, it might just have been Anne bending down a little to have a better look at something. I must say I'm more inclined to believe in this version since it didn't strike me as a particularly official moment, one The Princess Royal would consider curtseying to The Duchess of Cornwall. And indeed, Beatrice and Eugenie didn't curtsey to the Queen upon greeting her, and they usually do that regardless of how official an event is (as long as it's not a completely private one).

IMO, it is definitely a curtsey.
When Princess Anne curtsey the Queen looks her way & smiles. It also looks like Princess Anne was trying to position herself near her mother but there was always someone nearby.

IMO, the curtsey was either for the Queen or Prince Charles who is standing near Camilla or maybe it was for Prince Phillip who was out of camera range.

Beatrice and Eugenie would not have curtsey to the Queen in the video as they had already met her before arriving at Ascot.

The Queen doesn't expect people to continually curtsey/bow to her each time they have met if they have already curtseyed/bowed earlier that day.
Old 10-13-2012, 10:43 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Camilla

IMO, it is definitely a curtsey.
When Princess Anne curtsey the Queen looks her way & smiles. It also looks like Princess Anne was trying to position herself near her mother but there was always someone nearby.

IMO, the curtsey was either for the Queen or Prince Charles who is standing near Camilla or maybe it was for Prince Phillip who was out of camera range.
I think so too. I wish I could see Princess Anne curtsy more often!
Old 10-14-2012, 02:31 PM
Nobility

I just got a PM from someone who was there that day; Anne was indeed curtsying to the Queen as she had not seen her that day.
Old 10-24-2012, 12:01 AM
Majesty

Picture:
The Duchess of Cambridge Curtsey to Her Majesty:
Catherine-Middleton.org ? Exquistely Kate ... Kate Middleton Pictures: Click image to close this window
Old 10-31-2012, 05:26 PM
Majesty

Old picture of The Duchess of Windsor curtseying to Her Majesty The Queen:
It's A Royal World
Old 11-02-2012, 09:20 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Norway & Spain
Royal Blogger

(Then) Crown Princess Sonja of Norway curtseying to Queen Elizabeth II
http://www.adressa.no/incoming/artic...aptive/harald3

Old 11-02-2012, 09:30 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Her_Majesty View Post
A beautiful, deep curtsey.
I can now see who Mette-Marit has learnt her curtsies from.
Old 11-02-2012, 07:25 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Her_Majesty
I see Anne!
Old 11-02-2012, 07:31 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Her_Majesty View Post
This particular curtsey is full of reverence and respect. Not to mention that Sonja looks very elegant while executing it.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:04 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahedwards2 View Post
I just got a PM from someone who was there that day; Anne was indeed curtsying to the Queen as she had not seen her that day.
Even if the Princess Royal herself comes and tells me that she was curtseying, I will not believe it.
SHE WAS NOT DIRECTED TO THE QUEEN. THAT INTERACTION WAS OVER.
And it was not at all a curtsey, even to Camilla. Senior royals maintain the same style to every person, they don't change, the depth, breadth, etc, etc, depending on the person. And if you see see the other curtsies of Anne, you will knowIt was not at all a curtsey.

And I don't know why people want Anne to curtsey to Camilla, or for that matter, Diana. If she curtsies them, before that she we have to curtsey Charles, which is silly..of course till he becomes the King. I have not seen any Princess curtseying to their heir-brother till they ascend to throne.

So please stop portraying it as Ann's head-strongness or tracing attributing it to the presumes Ann-Diana coldness

PS: The second part was not directed towards sarahedwards
Old 11-04-2012, 06:47 PM
Heir Presumptive

No need to shout, vkrish. Respect for other's opinions is one of the cornerstones of civilization.
Old 11-06-2012, 12:42 PM
Courtier

It was not at all shouting. I have my own problems, you know..I carefully draft some post in detail but many a time hardly anyone replies or even notices it. So sometimes I bolden things so that they are noticed. It is just expressing my opinion. And I already mentioned that the latter part of my post was in no way related to sarahedwards.
Old 11-06-2012, 12:54 PM
Courtier

I notice that women considered "close" to the Queen, kiss her first and then curtsey, right from Diana to Margaret to Bea/Eu..whoever (Same with men first kiss and bow). But recently I have seen at all times Kate is first curtseying the Queen first and then kissing her. Doesnt she yet consider herself 'close' to Queen? Or is it just like that..
Old 11-06-2012, 01:12 PM
Courtier

Curtseying to flag...!?

I found this thing very weird at the Luxembourg royal wedding. Before entering the church, there was the national flag in front of which all royals passed through ( I found that itself weird, though)

I assume the universal protocol for a national flag is..Salute if you are in uniform, or bow if you are not in uniform ( and I also assume it is irrespective of age/ sex/ rank, ie, HoS to commoner). Accordingly, at all gaurds of honor during State visits and other occasions, we see people bowing or saluting.

But weirdly here many Crown Princesses started curtseying. And on top of that the first one to do so was Mette-Marit, who, I assume, believes she was born to curtsey. We can ignore that, but Mary, and even Victoria curtseyed. Only Maxima, and of course Sophie bowed correctly. I think maxima is used to it as she and Queen bow everytime before entering and whili leaving Parliament on Prinsedaag. And other princesses are normally never offered salute with the national flag. Only monarchs or CPs are.
What do you say about this?
The most common reply I expect is "different nations have different traditions".
But I do not agree with it. Bowing to a national flag is same for every country. Flag is not a senior royal whom you can greet in your own style..
Old 11-06-2012, 02:12 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I noticed that too while watching the Luxembourg wedding and I noticed that even the Luxembourg head of state paid their respects. Just like a salute by uniformed personnel or hand over heart for civilians during the pledge of allegiance here in the US, its a mark of respect as the flag is the symbol of everything a country stands for. This was a high profile wedding of the head of state's son with many foreign crowned heads or their heirs attending. To give recognition to their national symbol was a personal recognition to their host country and the people they have come to celebrate with IMO.
Old 11-06-2012, 02:37 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkrish View Post
It was not at all shouting. I have my own problems, you know..I carefully draft some post in detail but many a time hardly anyone replies or even notices it. So sometimes I bolden things so that they are noticed. It is just expressing my opinion.
Thing is, typing whole sentences or phrases in uppercase in internet communications is considered to be shouting, and if those words are bolded too it comes across as shouting very loudly. I don't think everyone knows this though; I once encountered a young woman who posted all her board messages in uppercase and after a while it got very irritating. When I pointed it out she denied my assertion vehmently.
Old 11-06-2012, 02:40 PM
Courtier

Oh, Osipi..my point is not the flag or paying respects to it. It is about curtseying to the flag. Do normal citizens in Norway/ Denmark/Sweden curtsey to their flags? Then why did the Princesses do? They should have bowed to it. The way of paying respect to a flag is same for everyone, be it the monarch or a commoner..they should have bowed to the flag, just like every other of their countrymen/women do..
Curtseying is a way of showing respect to an individual, not a flag..