The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-09-2012, 01:24 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkrish View Post
Can you tell me the link or title of the video of her curtseying Camilla at Ascot and King Harald..I have never seen any videos of her curtseying (except wedding/Beatrix state visit)

I strongly feel a curtsey can never be appreciated fully in a pic..It has to be seen in total..with the full frame of the person..
Below is the video of Anne (supposedly) curtseying to the Duchess of Cornwall. Go to 04:07

It does look like a curtsey, and Anne was certainly not even looking at the Queen, so presumably the curtsey was intended for someone else. Camilla is standing right in front of her, so it's logical to assume Anne was curtseying to her sister-in-law.

This said, it might just have been Anne bending down a little to have a better look at something. I must say I'm more inclined to believe in this version since it didn't strike me as a particularly official moment, one The Princess Royal would consider curtseying to The Duchess of Cornwall. And indeed, Beatrice and Eugenie didn't curtsey to the Queen upon greeting her, and they usually do that regardless of how official an event is (as long as it's not a completely private one).

Old 10-09-2012, 01:34 PM
Courtier

Uff..Is this the one people started telling everywhere that Anne curtsied to Camilla? Then its no way..That is hardly a curtsey..especially from Anne..If this is the only example ppl keep quoting, then I am damn sure she is never gonna curtsey Camilla (or any1 else, of course) till the latter becomes Queen Consort..

Old 10-09-2012, 01:37 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Uff..Is this the one people started telling everywhere that Anne curtsied to Camilla? Then its no way..That is hardly a curtsey..especially from Anne..If this is the only example ppl keep quoting, then I am damn sure she is never gonna curtsey Camilla (or any1 else, of course) till the latter becomes Queen Consort..
As far as I know, it's the only example. This said, the current generation of royals don't really curtsey to anyone but Kings and Queens with few exceptions (such as Crown Princess Mette-Marit and Princess Charlene, who seem to be happy showing respect to even their peers).
Old 10-09-2012, 01:37 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
I am no way a Diana-fanatic-Camilla-basher..
But I seriously find her curtsies are far more less than impressive..
Saw her curtseying the Queen at Ascot walkabout once and at Royal Wedding..Absolutely no grace/beauty..A totally strange action..Just for the sake of doing..Something performed by confused onlookers in crowds when Queen passes by them..
It is not a good precedent to be set by a future Queen Consort..Every royal woman, right from Anne to Eugenie/Autumn, and even Kate does much better curtsies..
Maybe bcos she cant get it right now as she didnt have good 'practice' in her youth..lolz
I think Camilla's curtseys are just fine, quite graceful and age-appropriate. Have a look at Camilla curtseying to Queen Silvia during the Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall's recent Scandinavia tour (at 00:49). It's a lovely little curtsey, elegant but not over-the top.

Considering Camilla's position as consort of the Heir Apparent to the Throne, there aren't many people she has to curtsey to - just foreign royal Heads of State, their spouses, Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip (and that not always: Princess Charlene curtseyed to the Duchess of Cornwall, when it should have been the other way round).

At the same time, she is closer in age to most of current Monarchs and their spouses, so a deep, formal curtsey would have looked quite out of place. I think she has found the right balance between showing proper respect and not looking ridiculous.
Old 10-09-2012, 01:40 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post
I think Camilla's curtseys are just fine, quite graceful and age-appropriate. Have a look at Camilla curtseying to Queen Silvia during the Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall's recent Scandinavia tour (at 00:49). It's a lovely little curtsey, elegant but not over-the top.

Considering Camilla's position as consort of the Heir Apparent to the Throne, there aren't many people she has to curtsey to - just foreign crowned Heads of State, their spouses, Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip (and that not always: Princess Charlene curtseyed to the Duchess of Cornwall, when it should have been the other way round).

At the same time, she is closer in age to most of current Monarchs and their spouses, so a deep, formal curtsey would have looked quite out of place. I think she has found the right balance between showing proper respect and not looking ridiculous.
I never had the view that the way of curtseying varies upon with the person being curtsied..I feel the way a person curtsies, she curtsies everyone the same way..
Anyways, I feel Camilla's curtsey for Queen Silvia is 'okay'..Just now saw a pic of her curtseying Empress Michiko..Same..
And even she cant bend too much in this age..that too with family history of osteoporosis..Elizabeth's longevity is affecting things in so many ways..
Old 10-09-2012, 02:20 PM
Majesty

No I don't think Princess Anne was curtseying to Camilla. It has been said that Her Majesty don't measure the depth of a womans curtsey and I think it was mentioned in interviews and promgrammes about The Queen making fun of PM Margaret Thatcher's very low curtseys.
Old 10-09-2012, 02:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
No I don't think Princess Anne was curtseying to Camilla. It has been said that Her Majesty don't measure the depth of a womans curtsey and I think it was mentioned in interviews and promgrammes about The Queen making fun of PM Margaret Thatcher's very low curtseys.
Curtsey or not - that's a lovely smile she gave to the DOC (or to the DOC's group)
Old 10-09-2012, 02:38 PM
Majesty

Yes, I agree.
Old 10-09-2012, 02:40 PM
Courtier

[QUOTE=Dman;1469638 It has been said that Her Majesty don't measure the depth of a womans curtsey[/QUOTE]

Of course it may be true that HM doesnt care for depth of curtsey. And anyways I was not talking about Camilla's sincerity/loyalty to HM. We are just discussing their ways of doing it.

Quote:
I think it was mentioned in interviews and promgrammes about The Queen making fun of PM Margaret Thatcher's very low curtseys.
I dont think there was any official interview/documentary which says HM made fun of Baroness Thatcher's deep curtsies. Its just a part of endless hearsay and gossip 'quoting' "insiders/courtiers/servants"..
Old 10-09-2012, 03:28 PM
Majesty

Well It may be hearsay on Thatcher's curtseys but I think The Queen is fine with a slight bend of the knee and bow. I somehow think it's just up to the individual on how they curtsey and bow. Some choose to drop low and some don't.
Old 10-09-2012, 03:43 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I am no way a Diana-fanatic-Camilla-basher..
But I seriously find her curtsies are far more less than impressive..
Saw her curtseying the Queen at Ascot walkabout once and at Royal Wedding..Absolutely no grace/beauty..A totally strange action..Just for the sake of doing..Something performed by confused onlookers in crowds when Queen passes by them..
It is not a good precedent to be set by a future Queen Consort..Every royal woman, right from Anne to Eugenie/Autumn, and even Kate does much better curtsies..
Maybe bcos she cant get it right now as she didnt have good 'practice' in her youth..lolz
she's older as well than eugenie, autumn or kate. who knows, maybe she had an operation when younger or is simply not as flexible/in shape to curtsy deeply.
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 10-09-2012, 03:45 PM
Heir Presumptive

Expecting a woman in her sixties, with a family history of osteoporosis, to curtsey deeply in high heels is totally unrealistic. My mother's about to turn 60 and I know if she tried a low curtsey, there's no guarantee that she'd be able to get up again without assistance. She'd be more likely to end up on her rear end with her legs in the air.

It's the sentiment that counts with a curtsey, not the depth.
Old 10-09-2012, 03:51 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Well It may be hearsay on Thatcher's curtseys but I think The Queen is fine with a slight bend of the knee and bow. I somehow think it's just up to the individual on how they curtsey and bow. Some choose to drop low and some don't.

Poor woman..The Queen has to be fine with everything and anything. She hardly has a choice. She cant open her mouth and say. And if ever she really opens her mouth all hell will break loose.
Its indeed so amazing to see how much the world has changed from her point of view and still she is adapting constantly without a fuss..
I dont understand what people are going to lose by doing a simple curtsey to the Queen. Why do they put their ego there..It doesnt make you inferior or subservient to the Queen..Just a tradition..I really hate those women who just keep staring at Queen as she passes by them in Abbey o smwhr without curtseying..Even when she was going to address the joint sitting of Parliament for Diamond Jubilee hardly anyone curtsied her..Am I the only one who feels bad for this
Ok I know all the stuff about change/freedom/choice and all..but still..
And I am not talking about people from US..just British..
Old 10-09-2012, 04:02 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Poor woman..The Queen has to be fine with everything and anything. She hardly has a choice. She cant open her mouth and say. And if ever she really opens her mouth all hell will break loose.
Its indeed so amazing to see how much the world has changed from her point of view and still she is adapting constantly without a fuss..
I dont understand what people are going to lose by doing a simple curtsey
Ok I know all the stuff about change/freedom/choice and all..but still..
And I am not talking about people from US..just British..
I looked at the footage from today's Jubilee Tribute unveiling in Windsor and there were some curtseys - but more not. And also not a lot of bows. But there was cheering, applause and a lot of happy faces. I think the family realizes the affection of the public is more important than a gesture is.

I go back to the royals home page where it says to do what you are comfortable doing. I think the family has realized that hardly anyone learns to bow or curtsey anymore. I think I learned in elementary school - but I am sure it has long ago left the curriculum.

So to demand that is just to put a lot of people in a awkward situation. Bows are fairly easy, but a curtsey easily ends up in a stumble - and who wants to stumble in front of the Queen and a bunch of dignitaries as well as the press?
Old 10-09-2012, 04:16 PM
Heir Presumptive

A correct British bow is from the neck, not the waist. This is why you don't often see men bowing low to the Queen. A bow properly performed can be easily missed or presumed to be a nod of the head.

Given how limited the bow is nowadays in the UK, the idea of really deep curtseys is even more silly.
Old 10-09-2012, 04:29 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
Expecting a woman in her sixties, with a family history of osteoporosis, to curtsey deeply in high heels is totally unrealistic. My mother's about to turn 60 and I know if she tried a low curtsey, there's no guarantee that she'd be able to get up again without assistance. She'd be more likely to end up on her rear end with her legs in the air.

It's the sentiment that counts with a curtsey, not the depth.
Hey, sometimes that kind of stuff can be difficult even in you 20's and 30's. I say thank God us guys don't have to dip low because The Queen would just have to meet me half way.
Old 10-09-2012, 04:35 PM
Majesty

I too think people should at least give a nice curtsey and bow when The Queen passes by and some people do but times are changing and some just don't do it. I don't think they are trying to disrespect Her Majesty but the Palace always say do what's comfortable to you and you don't have to give a curtsey if you don't want to.

If I ever had the chance to meet The Queen & Duke of Edinburgh or any senior member of the royal family, I wouldn't mind giving them a nice bow.
Old 10-09-2012, 04:38 PM
Aristocracy

Here is a video of Camilla curtsying to kings and queens and to Crown Princess Margarita of Romania(I guess it was an automatism as almost every king came with his queen and not his daughter).
Excuse me if it was already posted.

ROYAL: Prince Charles and Camilla welcome guests a | Archive Footage | ITN Source
Old 10-09-2012, 04:47 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post
Considering Camilla's position as consort of the Heir Apparent to the Throne, there aren't many people she has to curtsey to - just foreign crowned Heads of State, their spouses, Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip.
Don't you mean royal Heads of State, as there are only two crowned Heads of State today as far as I know, queen Elizabeth and king Bhumibol of Thailand.
Old 10-09-2012, 04:50 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meraude View Post
Don't you mean royal Heads of State, as there are only two crowned Heads of State today as far as I know, queen Elizabeth and king Bhumibol of Thailand.
Indeed, that's precisely what I meant.
Thanks for spotting, already corrected.