Bowing and Curtseying

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think Charlotte would follow whatever international protocol says she should do. She remarked that she didn't like to be called a princess because she wasn't a princess , and it was disrespectful to her family and to protocol.

Crown Princess Mary curtseys to the Queen during a state banquet dinner at Amalienborg Palace last night. (video, 16:36)

SE TV!

Last edited:
Sorry, Dman (post 1748).:)
Who curties to whom?
Their is a misunderstanding: It is the Order of Precedence - who arrives/goes first etc.

The members of the english royal family courtsy only to the Queen, DOE, (and while she lived) to Queen Mum.

The do NOT courtsie to each other ;) You will find NO evidence otherwise.

Last edited by a moderator:
Their is a misunderstanding: It is the Order of Precedence - who arrives/goes first etc.

The members of the english royal family courtsy only to the Queen, DOE, (and while she lived) to Queen Mum.

The do NOT courtsie to each other ;) You will find NO evidence otherwise.

TBH, it wouldn't surprise me if they did when they're in private. Many have moaned and groaned that there's not a lot of public display of tiaras in the BRF but it is known that they do dress to the nines for the private holiday dinners and traditions such as the Ghillies Ball still run strong. It used to be commonplace that a man would bow to a woman and she'd curtsy to him. To me, its a sign of respect that is being kept alive. Too bad that now its primarily only to denote who is superior to who.

Sorry, Dman (post 1748).:)
Who curties to whom?
The Queen altered the Order of Precedence in the Royal family twice in recent times: first, following the Prince of Wales' marriage and second, after William's...
Yes, as others have pointed out, that is the (Court) Order of Precedence. It does not necessarily translate into "who curtsies to whom". For example, I'd have a hard time believing that an unaccompanied Duchess of Cambridge would be expected to curtsey to either of the York Princesses.

v On a different note, here is Baron Coe of Renmore (aka Sebastian Coe) greeting HM with a deep bow at the Commonwealth Day Service last week.
Thumbnail image forms a cropped portion of a much larger photograph

Attachments

• Bow by Sebastian Coe, Commonwealth Day 201403.jpg
    Bow by Sebastian Coe, Commonwealth Day 201403.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 1,044
I thought it seemed like it was almost an afterthought. A good curtsey, yes, but the way it happened almost seemed like Kate was going "oh, ****, am I supposed to curtsey to this one?"

I thought it seemed like it was almost an afterthought. A good curtsey, yes, but the way it happened almost seemed like Kate was going "oh, ****, am I supposed to curtsey to this one?"

I too thought the same thing!

I think that is the way I've seen other royals do it though..kiss then curtsey.

LaRae

.. sorry, thats not a curtsey; to me it looks like a bob. E real cursey is much lower.

I disagree, this is pretty much how it looks in social settings among the royals. The kiss, or double kiss and the hang on and curtsey.
Go and look at the recent reception of Matilde Windsor (I think it was Windsor - might have have been BP).

Frankly, while I know I am really linear and American, I just don't understand the order. You are going to let me kiss you and then hang on you and then bob? If the curtsey is intended as respect, in my mind (American linear) it should be non-hanging curtsey, greeting and kiss. :lol:

I've noticed that Kate does not curtsay very deeply, in other pics also.
Letizia curtsays very deeply, every time i saw her i feared she will fall.

I disagree, this is pretty much how it looks in social settings among the royals. The kiss, or double kiss and the hang on and curtsey.
Go and look at the recent reception of Matilde Windsor (I think it was Windsor - might have have been BP).

Frankly, while I know I am really linear and American, I just don't understand the order. You are going to let me kiss you and then hang on you and then bob? If the curtsey is intended as respect, in my mind (American linear) it should be non-hanging curtsey, greeting and kiss. :lol:

it seems to me that when royals exchange kisses and then the lower in rank bow/curtsy it means they're in a close relationship (family and friends) ... when the relationship is formal they don't kiss at all.

I've noticed that Kate does not curtsay very deeply, in other pics also.
Letizia curtsays very deeply, every time i saw her i feared she will fall.

The Spanish princesses's curtsey are always deeply, as same as the Danish princesses.

The Spanish princesses's curtsey are always deeply, as same as the Danish princesses.

Thanks, i ve noticed also CP Mary and Pcs Marie, going deeply, but i did not realise it was their country custom.

How sweet..the Queen bowed her head at the little boy first.

LaRae

As we may have known that the Dutch are not so stick to protocols of curtsying, but I have throught that it would only apply to the Royal House, how's about with foreign Royals? The King & Queen of Sweden are on an official visit to the Netherlands and Princess Beatrix was present at the dinner hosted by King Willem-Alexander for King Carl Gustav and Queen Silvia. With only her as HRH there, protocol does dictate that she needs to curtsy to the Swedish Royal couple, isn't it? And does anyone know if she actually did?

As we may have known that the Dutch are not so stick to protocols of curtsying, but I have throught that it would only apply to the Royal House, how's about with foreign Royals? The King & Queen of Sweden are on an official visit to the Netherlands and Princess Beatrix was present at the dinner hosted by King Willem-Alexander for King Carl Gustav and Queen Silvia. With only her as HRH there, protocol does dictate that she needs to curtsy to the Swedish Royal couple, isn't it? And does anyone know if she actually did?

i think this isnt about the dutch royal family being more relaxed, but it applies to everyone in the netherlands (to abolish curtsying in dutch ground) - even foreign royals. in the inauguration of WA and Maxima as king and queen, no foreign royals curtsied to them, either as prince and princess or when king and queen as far as i know. however, this may be broken when in a private situation, but in that case i very much doubt beatrix curtsied to silvia - herself having held the same rang.

Last edited:
i think this is about the dutch royal family being more relaxed, but it applies to everyone in the netherlands (to abolish curtsying in dutch ground) - even foreign royals. in the inauguration of WA and Maxima as king and queen, no foreign royals curtsied to them, either as prince and princess or when king and queen as far as i know. however, this may be broken when in a private situation, but in that case i very much doubt beatrix curtsied to silvia - herself having held the same rang.

When did the curtseys is abolished in Netherlands? Thanks for answering:flowers:

Back
Top Bottom