The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-04-2006, 02:19 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess
Curtsy/bow
It is up to those meeting The Queen, The Duke of Edinburgh and other members of the Royal Family to choose whether or not they wish to bow/curtsy or simply shake hands.
Description of a bow/curtsy for those who choose to make it: Men: a neck bow - just a little more than a nod of the head; Women: the right foot is placed behind the left heel, and the knees bent slightly. It is quite in order to shake hands if the opportunity presents itself and a member of the Royal Family offers to do so.
Thanks Duchess ... it really is quite remarkable ** to me ** that anybody would voluntarily do such a thing. But to each his/her own

Old 06-04-2006, 02:22 PM
Nobility

I find quite interesting that the Spanish royals bow and kiss the hands of the members of the upper clergy. Two examples below. Pictures from Getty Images.

Queen Sofia kissing the hand of the Pope

Greeting the Cardinal of Madrid:

Old 06-04-2006, 02:31 PM
Serene Highness

I agree, PreDoc. Personally, I would never bow or curtsey to anyone. I feel it's demeaning and even insulting. And as an American, there's no reason I would ever need to as we don't follow this protocol with our elected officials. I also believe - and correct me if I'm wrong - that one needs only bow/curtsey to royalty if they represent your country/commonwealth. I remember a rock band, I think it was Fleetwood Mac, meeting a member of the British RF (I think the POW). The British members of the band bowed when shaking his hand while the non-British members merely stood and shook his hand.
Old 06-04-2006, 03:46 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarzuela
Monsieur Chirac certainly knows how to greet a Queen: with a light bow and kissing her hand. All pictures from Corbis and Getty.

I thought exactly the same, zarzuela, when the visit happened.

Another person I like to see kissing Queen Sofia's hand is Prince Felipe.

And the Queen offers a broad smile back what makes the gesture sweeter.

Regards,
mtbcm :)
Old 06-07-2006, 12:05 AM
Heir Apparent

Princess Martha-Louise curtseying to her dad the HM King Harald of Norway on state visit of Spain

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...7&d=1149618794
Old 06-07-2006, 12:34 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella
I agree, PreDoc. Personally, I would never bow or curtsey to anyone. I feel it's demeaning and even insulting. And as an American, there's no reason I would ever need to as we don't follow this protocol with our elected officials. I also believe - and correct me if I'm wrong - that one needs only bow/curtsey to royalty if they represent your country/commonwealth. I remember a rock band, I think it was Fleetwood Mac, meeting a member of the British RF (I think the POW). The British members of the band bowed when shaking his hand while the non-British members merely stood and shook his hand.

I have thought about this some more since I left my last message and I've realized that these women receive outstanding salaries and benefits from the public purse and in return one of their duties is to curtsey so I have changed my mind: if I was on a government salary I would smile widely and curtsey as deeply as I could without falling over.
Old 06-07-2006, 12:42 AM
Heir Presumptive

I personally would have no problem curtseying to a royal person. I respect the royalty as an institution and cultural heritage and the person representing it. Just as anglicans and catholics kiss their bishops rings. It has nothing to do with being inferior - and neither would I slap the president of the US on the back as a greeting in order to show that we are equal. Feeling inferior comes from within - respecting roles - whether royalty, member of the US Supreme court (judges are addressed as Your Honor) or perhaps only a much older person - does not make for inferiority.
Old 06-07-2006, 03:32 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Her_Majesty
I noticed that the Dutch Royals are curtseying in front of the Flag of Orage-Nassau (???). Even the Queen.
Does anyone know more about it?
I suppose it's a matter of respect, as the national/royal flag is a symbol.
About curteysing to the monarch, as far as I remember one of the Dutch queens (Wilhelmina or Juliana....I don't remember..maybe Juliana...) eliminated the ritual of curteysing in the Dutch Royal Court, I read something about that somewhere. That's why the princesses at the Dutch court do not do that in front of the Queen. I don't know if they do it to other Queens and Kings, it would be interesting to know.:)
Old 06-08-2006, 04:25 PM
Nobility

Mette Marit and Queen Sofia of Spain in Oslo:

Pictures from Nettavisen originally posted by Larzen

Old 06-08-2006, 04:31 PM
Aristocracy

Do Queens curtsey to Kings?
Old 06-08-2006, 04:48 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreDoc
No! Kings kiss Queens' hand! (if i'm not wrong...)
Old 06-08-2006, 04:57 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ...JuAnItA...
No! Kings kiss Queens' hand! (if i'm not wrong...)
Maybe Royal Protocol can help but I believe that between equals Kings to Queens Queens to Kings there's no bowing or curtseying.
Old 06-08-2006, 05:02 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbcm
Maybe Royal Protocol can help but I believe that between equals Kings to Queens Queens to Kings there's no bowing or curtseying.
There isn't but look at Spanish visit to Norway, we can see King Juan Carlos kissing Sonja's hand and King Harald kissing Sofia's hand.
Old 06-08-2006, 08:33 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreDoc
NO! but King getting kiss cheek and kiss arms to HM Queen very respectives if who are head of states dont bowing and curstey.

same Prince Charles always do that kiss his mother the HM Queen Elizabeth on her arms and cheek very respectives because he is future King of England but he can kiss to any foreign Queen with arms and kiss the cheek also he can do that.

but i always respectives to any foreign Queen and King who still as head of states dont bowing and curstey.

im not sure about Japan Royals have same?
Old 06-09-2006, 05:36 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
I find quite interesting that the Spanish royals bow and kiss the hands of the members of the upper clergy.
It's not just the royals that do this. when meeting the Holy Father or a Cardinal, Roman Catholics kiss their ring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella
a custom, that is completely harmless and that some people prefer to practice, isn't demeaning and insulting. it's a way to show respect for our monarch. if you choose not to do it, it's perfectly acceptable but please don't call it demeaning and insulting.
Old 06-09-2006, 07:36 PM
Commoner

I like very much Mette-Marit's way of curtsying.
Old 06-09-2006, 08:30 PM
Nobility

Princess Benedikte of Denmark and King Juan Carlos of Spain in Madrid. Picture from Corbis.

Old 06-09-2006, 09:16 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Princess Benedikte of Denmark and King Juan Carlos of Spain in Madrid. Picture from Corbis.
Wow, she's so elegant at everything she does!:)
Old 06-10-2006, 08:33 AM
Aristocracy

This is so sweet !

A great old lady, but still not forgetting what she is supposed to do !
Old 06-10-2006, 08:24 PM
Nobility

HRH the Infanta Elena cursties to Queen Elizabeth in Madrid in 1988. Picture from Corbis.