Bowing and Curtseying

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No kidding. I was kind of surprised that she would not dress more appropriately. I was under the assumption that she had more class than that. Hmm. She is a great actress though.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using The Royals Community mobile app

Upon entering the room, ladies being presented at the French Imperial Court were required to curtsey to the Emperor Napoleon I and the Empress Josephine who sat on gilt chairs. Ladies had then to make a second curtsey, having advanced a little way into the room, then to take a few more paces before curtseying a third time.:curtsey::curtsey::curtsey::napoleon::queen:

:previous:
Well, we have to remember too that back then there were no such beasts as training gyms and programs like Jenny Craig and Weight Watchers. Perhaps this mode of entry was the official exercise program of Napoleon's Empire?

(ducks and runs for cover) :whistling:

Last edited by a moderator:
When I did a little curtsy to my piano teacher after playing and singing a song (the Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald) during my lesson tonight, she just chuckled. She's just a young woman, and really fun to be around!

Last edited:
When I did a little curtsy to my piano teacher after playing and singing a song (the Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald) during my lesson tonight, she just chuckled. She's just a young woman, and really fun to be around!

You've picked a master to choose your music from m'dear. Its very often done in the performing arts that one would bow or curtsy after a performance. I think this might have dated back to when top performers of the time were called on to give a command performance in front of crowned heads at court. If you performed for royals or had an aristocratic patron, you would have been deemed a success.

You going to try and give Seven Island Suite a try? That's one of my all time favorites. :D

I don't know that one, but maybe somewhere down this road we call life! And of course, Mr. Gordon Lightfoot is a master!

Perhaps someone here can confirm this or tell me I'm wrong, but when Catherine is Queen, will she still be expected to curtsey to Anne, Beatrice, Eugenie, et al when William is not around? I know they are blood royals and she is not, but she'll be a higher rank than them.

I have never heard of a Queen being expected to curtsey to a Princess, simply because of blood, but then it has been a while since England last had a Queen.

No, when Catherine becomes Her Majesty The Queen, all members of the royal family will curtsey to her. At the moment, Catherine curtsies to no one but The Queen & Duke of Edinburgh. There was a story that Catherine is expected to curtsey to the Princesses of the Blood but none of that was true.

Members of the royal family don't curtsey to one another but to The Queen.

I think I've seen some of them curtseying to Prince Phillip though, even Catherine...trying to remember the video I've seen. Thought perhaps Camilla did at the Christening?

LaRae

No, when Catherine becomes Her Majesty The Queen, all members of the royal family will curtsey to her. At the moment, Catherine curtsies to no one but The Queen & Duke of Edinburgh. There was a story that Catherine is expected to curtsey to the Princesses of the Blood but none of that was true.

Members of the royal family don't curtsey to one another but to The Queen.

if we lived in the Ancien Régime French court, it would have been normal for members of the royal family to curtsey/bow to one another. But if Catherine lived there (in the same position she is now), she would have been expected to curtsey to the Regent Couple and the Heir and his consort. the other princes and princesses of blood should have bowed/curtsied to her.

Queen Elizabeth looks enchanting in pink.

Last edited:
I'd have been thrown by that kiss on the hand. Well done!

I think the semi-official situation contributed a slight breach of the protocol.

Sorry, Dman (post 1748).:)

Who curties to whom?

The Queen altered the Order of Precedence in the Royal family twice in recent times: first, following the Prince of Wales' marriage and second, after William's.

The new Rules of Court make it clear that the Duchess of Cambridge, when she is not accompanied by Prince William, must curtsy to the “blood princesses”, the Princess Royal, Princess Alexandra, and the daughters of the Duke of York, Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie. Earlier, after Charles remarried, the Queen changed the Order of Precedence “on blood principles” so that neither Princess Anne nor Princess Alexandra, the granddaughter of George V, would have to curtsy to Camilla when her husband was not present. The Duchess of Cambridge, when William is with her, needs only to curtsy to the Prince of Wales, the Duchess of Cornwall, the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh.

Although the etiquette may seem arcane, it is taken very seriously by the Royal family, whose members bow and curtsy to each other in public and in private. The Order of Precedence affects other aspects of royal protocol, such as who arrives first at an event. For example, the Duchess of Cornwall, in 2006, was forced to wait in the drizzle outside the Guards Chapel, Windsor, for the arrival of Princess Anne at a memorial service, because Charles had not accompanied her.

These rules seem faintly ridiculous to me but they're what Her Majesty decided, and, after all, it's her Court and her family.

I wonder if Charlotte Casiraghi curtseys to royalty outside of her family when she meets them at official events? I'm thinking TSH Prince Albert II and Princess Charlene's wedding, etc.

As Prince Albert and Princess Charlene have been seen to curtsey to reigning Kings and Queens I would expect that Charlotte, who isn't even a Princess, would do so.

I wonder if Charlotte Casiraghi curtseys to royalty outside of her family when she meets them at official events? I'm thinking TSH Prince Albert II and Princess Charlene's wedding, etc.

I think that out of A&C wedding, i think that there are very few chances that Charlotte attends a royal event. Unless if she suddenly marries Pcs Harry...

Upon entering the room, ladies being presented at the French Imperial Court were required to curtsey to the Emperor Napoleon I and the Empress Josephine who sat on gilt chairs. Ladies had then to make a second curtsey, having advanced a little way into the room, then to take a few more paces before curtseying a third time.:curtsey::curtsey::curtsey::napoleon::queen:

Wow, that's a lot of curtsies!

Back
Top Bottom