Bowing and Curtseying

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, I forgot about Caroline's ballet training...good point!

HM The Queen looks so pleased to see her. Either pleased to see an old family friend and daughter of a great man, HSH Prince Rainier (just about everyone respected that guy), or pleased to see such a graceful curtsy. Perhaps both!

The Windsors are descendants of the House of Hanover, so they are family. Perhaps the Queen was pleased to see her Royal cousin Ernst August as well.:)

The Windsors are descendants of the House of Hanover, so they are family. Perhaps the Queen was pleased to see her Royal cousin Ernst August as well.:)

And there is multiple family bonds between the Queen, the PoE and EA

Little Caroline curtseys.

Grace & Family: Photo

We don't see them do it quite often because their court isn't nearly as formal, but looks like all the Monaco royals have a pretty good curtsy. Even Charlotte Casiraghi. No doubt she's curtsying to a priest or the Archbishop of Monaco. It's a lovely curtsy.

tumblr_mtwmh3F7Vh1sekcvfo1_500.jpg

What is this courtesy from Charlotte for? Raiders funeral? Is she courts eying his casket like the Swedish royals did guests did at Princess Lilian's funeral?

Last edited by a moderator:
Charlotte isn't actually making a curtsey at all as, from her situation (inside a church) and the position of her right hand I would say she was making the sign of the Cross whist genuflecting. A pretty standard obeisance for those of the RC faith.

As an aside, genuflecting would definitely give someone an edge if they found themself in a situation that required a curtsey. Less likely to fall on their exterior posteriors! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Exactly. Charlotte wasn't making a curtsy toward a priest or a bishop. In this case she was genuflecting toward the altar where the Blessed Sacrament reposes.

Many if not most Catholics make this gesture of reverence in church.

Of course it is a bow and a handkiss... the bow is part of the handkiss.

It is not a bow. Just because his head is lowered to reach her hand especially when she is standing on lower step, doesnt mean it is a 'bow combined handkiss'. Bow is a deliberate act out of courtesy or protocol. There is no premise for bowing someone lower than his rank. If the woman is also head of state, then he may bow as courtesy for lady, but not someone of a lower rank

Sorry, you do not seem to understand french courtesie and the nature of handkissing.

He is paying homage as a man to a beautifull lady - not bowing as head of state to a crown princess.

:previous: Ah yes, courtesy gazumps the minutiae of political niceties any day of the week!

Last edited:
Sorry, you do not seem to understand french courtesie and the nature of handkissing.

He is paying homage as a man to a beautifull lady - not bowing as head of state to a crown princess.

He has his head lowered because this is what a handkiss needs to be done, but I don't think this is a bow. As far as I am aware, a proper bow is made by bending from the neck or shoulders (not the waist!) and lowering eyes.
A few examples:
wm506a31cb.jpg

Although I think it wasn't actually a bow, it looks like a proper one. :)

royal-silliness-570x355.jpg

Look at what Dave Clark is doing here. He's bowing.

queen-elizabeth-ii-prince-charles-diamond-jubilee-concert-03.jpg

Here we have the Prince of Wales properly greeting his mother by a bow with a kiss. What does the Sarkozy kiss or bow looks like to you now? I really think that the President is just lowering his body to do the kiss and nothing more.

Last edited:
Its Catholic protocol to kiss the episcopal ring of a Bishop or an Archbishop ,the church used to be very strict about such customs.I remember recently seeing King Juan Carlos doing this before Mass as he greeted the Archbishop.

(From my Catholic youth we were all taught by the nuns to genuflect in the presence of our Bishop.)
Queen_bow_Pope.jpg

The Queen of Spain kissing the Pope's Piscatory Ring. She is not curtsying to him.

images

Another kiss.

Last edited:
:previous: Dont know who is that woman..seems a bit silly..curtsies to Diana and doesnt curtsey to Queen.. I guess she is the wife of a Head of State, and curtsied Diana out of excitement.. Maybe that part-time royalty of Malaysia..

Does he extend the same "french courtesie" to all the "beautiful ladies" of French cabinet and wives of Vice president/PM etc?

I really think that the President is just lowering his body to do the kiss and nothing more.

Exactly

The Spanish Queen is genuflecting IMO. Not uncommon I wouldn't think considering the setting and person.

LaRae

:previous: Dont know who is that woman..seems a bit silly..curtsies to Diana and doesnt curtsey to Queen.. I guess she is the wife of a Head of State, and curtsied Diana out of excitement.. Maybe that part-time royalty of Malaysia..

If you actually watch the video, the woman who curtsey's to Diana is not the same woman who is seen when The Queen arrives. Two different dresses, two different heights and one is wearing a tiara the other is not.

Woman who greets Diana =

D.jpg

Woman who greets HM =
E.jpg

It is a visit from The King and Queen of Malaysia, The Queen Tuanku Bainun binti Mohd Ali doesn't curtsey to The Queen because they're on the same level. The lady who curtsey's to Diana is The King's daughter Azureen.

In the video the woman who curtseys to Diana is not the same as the one who does not curtsey to the Queen. The lady greeting the Queen is wearing a tiara whilst the lady greeting Diana does not.
I thought I had seen a picture of the 'double curtsy' before with an explanation that there had been some confusion over who was greeting Diana, she thought she was royal or a senior royal when in fact she was not.

Back
Top Bottom