Bowing and Curtseying

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When Fergie came to visit a local mall here to sell her Wedgwood I went to go see her. Some lady brought her little girl, all dressed up, and had her sweep into the most beautiful curtsey I have ever seen.

It was truly one of the most ridiculous things I have ever witnessed.

Despite Sarah losing her HRH title, I guess some people will still curtsey to her if they feel like it.

I thought that was a very nice curtsey the lady gave William, Catherine and Harry.

The woman who was doing the curtsey is Dione Grimston, Countess of Verulam, in her capacity as Lord Lieutenant of Hertfordshire.

When Fergie came to visit a local mall here to sell her Wedgwood I went to go see her. Some lady brought her little girl, all dressed up, and had her sweep into the most beautiful curtsey I have ever seen.

It was truly one of the most ridiculous things I have ever witnessed.

I donno, I think if I was a parent bringing my kid to meet someone like Sarah I'd tell her that Sarah's a real princess and let her get all dolled up and do a curtesy. Think how much it meant for the kid to do that. In that kind of situation it's really not so much about Sarah as it is about the kid's interpretation or understanding of it.

In the Netherlands, Wilhelmina couldn't ban curtseying and bowing in every country.

Oops wrong thread...sorry! Forgot which one I had open!

LaRae

So, there will be no curtseys in the Netherlands ever?

So, there will be no curtseys in the Netherlands ever?

I find it interesting -this must mean that the Netherlands is the only country that does not have or require a courtesy? I'm simply confused on this!

Juliana saw herself as more the mother of the nation instead on HM The Queen. Beatrix brought the Majesty back but not the curtsey. You might see a visiting foreign princess drop a curtsey the the Dutch monarch and certainly will see it when the Dutch monarch travels abroad. You would likely see a Dutch princess curtsey to a visiting foreign monarch but you are unlikely to see a Dutch citizen drop a curtsey to the Dutch monarch. It is just not the done thing anymore.

Thank you for that -it really helps!

Last edited by a moderator:
I find it interesting -this must mean that the Netherlands is the only country that does not have or require a courtesy? I'm simply confused on this!

Well I don't have seen many people courtesying to the Belgium Royals at official occasions in Belgium, I think.
Does anyone know what is required in Luxembourg?

Danish and Spanish reigiously curtsey to their monarchs, consorts, even their children.
British used to curtsey to Queen till 80s or maybe even 90s, but nowadays they are throwing a lot of attitude..
I dont think others monarchies they care about curtseying. European, I mean. Not to speak of Japanese and Thai..it is a rigour..In fact, you can automatically get very fit if you manage frequent audiences with Thai royals lol..

I've read the posts about the Dutch royals not being so much into curtseying - but, in theory, would Princess Beatrix now have to curtsey to a foreign monarch (eg. QEII)? And do you think we will see this happening?
Thanks.

:previous: No QEII will still treat her as a "Queen". She may even address her as "Your majesty" formally. She will never be expected to curtsey.. You see..all this "Queen-to-Princess" stuff is exclusively Dutch, thanks to "leftist royalism" of Juliana. No other Royal Family believes in degrading a monarch's status after they are deposed/abdicated..

As for curtseying in the Netherlands.. It's simple. If you don't want to curtsey, don't curtsey. If you do want to curtsey, curtsey away. We're not that formal.

I think the song "15 million people" describes this mentality the best. The english translation is somewhere half down the page.

Cafe Holland and What the Country is all About!

:previous: No QEII will still treat her as a "Queen". She may even address her as "Your majesty" formally. She will never be expected to curtsey.. You see..all this "Queen-to-Princess" stuff is exclusively Dutch, thanks to "leftist royalism" of Juliana. No other Royal Family believes in degrading a monarch's status after they are deposed/abdicated..

When Queen Wilhelmina of the Netherlands abdicated, she took the title "princess", so I suppose you mean to say it was the "leftist royalism" of Wilhelmina?
It is not a case of royal families believing in degrading anything - the Dutch system is as good as the British and anyone elses.

When Queen Wilhelmina of the Netherlands abdicated, she took the title "princess", so I suppose you mean to say it was the "leftist royalism" of Wilhelmina?
It is not a case of royal families believing in degrading anything - the Dutch system is as good as the British and anyone elses.

Thank you.

The problem is.. there can be only one king/queen. What were they supposed to do? Keep their title? You can't keep a title you just gave up in favor of someone else. If you give up the title and position of queen that's what you no longer are. I don't see how this is so strange.
This has nothing to do with "leftist royalism". It has to do with a different view of being a king/queen. It's a job nothing more nothing less.

The Duke of Windsor didn't get to continue to go by King Edward after he abdicated.

Monarchs tend to continue to use their kingly (or queenly or whatever) titles when they're forced to abdicate in order to get rid of a monarchy. Michael of Romania is still called a King because there is no other monarch in Romania. If he had been deposed in favour of another monarch, it would be a trickier situation - those who continued to support him would call him King while those who didn't wouldn't.

The general idea that a monarch is always a monarch does not apply to monarchs who voluntarily abdicate, particularly if they're replaced by someone. Beatrix is no longer seen as a monarch and will not be until she dies.

:previous:
The exception:
Grand Duke Jean remains Grand Duke Jean although Henri is the reigning Grand Duke of Luxembourg.

:previous:
The exception:
Grand Duke Jean remains Grand Duke Jean although Henri is the reigning Grand Duke of Luxembourg.
and

• His Majesty The King of the Belgians (1934–1951)
  • His Majesty King Leopold of Belgium (after abdication in 1951–death)

from wikipedia

Why Charlene have to curtsey Queens and Heirs to the throne, like Charles? She is the same to the queen but in her country.

Why Charlene have to curtsey Queens and Heirs to the throne, like Charles? She is the same to the queen but in her country.

She chose to curtsey to Prince Charles as a sign of respect, as consort to a Monarch she should curtsey to other Monarchs such as QEII.

Queen consorts need not curtsey to reigning monarchs, male or female.
They are all of the same rank.
I am yet to see any photo/video of a Queen consort ( a HM, not ones like Charlene, Haya etc.) curtsey a monarch.
Of course they can always choose to do so out of individual respect/ age difference/whatever..

Back
Top Bottom