Bowing and Curtseying

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Funny picture of Charlotte (with Edwina Alexander) curtseying.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Source: Getty Images

Agree!! She shouldn't. She made a mistake IMO

Not necessarily.
She is supposed to bow to the heads of State, i.e. the Kings and Queens. Presidents fall under the same category, I think.

No one should ever bow to the president of the United States. Ever.

But as others have noted on these boards, Mette-Marit has a habit of curtsying to everybody, even to people of equivalent rank, such as the Duchess of Cornwall.

missmaggy said:
No one should ever bow to the president of the United States. Ever.

But as others have noted on these boards, Mette-Marit has a habit of curtsying to everybody, even to people of equivalent rank, such as the Duchess of Cornwall.

I can't decide if it's because she really doesn't understand what to do or is nervous so she curtseys?

Is the arm grabbing with the curtsey a sign of family/close friendship?

Last edited:
That was a very very deep curtsey.

I think MM does it just out of pure old fashioned respect and not out of any written protocol. Plus, I'm rather fond of her quirky curtsying habits.

Is the arm grabbing with the curtsey a sign of family/close friendship?

I think they curtsey after embracing the person so I guess so. It might also be a precaution against falling (especially when pregnant!).

I am meeting Prince Edward on Monday afternoon. Should I curtsey?

Yes. At least I think you should curtsey.

I'd wait to see what everybody else does.

Thanks guys for your advice. We were told before he arrived that the protocol would be to address him as sir or your royal highness but not to curtsey/bow.

I am meeting Prince Edward on Monday afternoon. Should I curtsey?

If you know how to curtsey correctly you should do it, if not better avoid it. I met once Queen Sofia, and I would like to be able to curtsey, but as I'm unable, i just did a very quick movt not deep at all. It is better not to do it than to be ridiculous!

But since you were told not to do it, this is perfect.

Generally speaking, does one bow or curtsey to non-reigning royals? Would it matter if the royal in question once reigned? Should I bow to the former King of Greece? What about Archduke Karl? Just curious. I doubt I'll ever meet a royal - reigning or non-reigning!

Harold said:
Generally speaking, does one bow or curtsey to non-reigning royals? Would it matter if the royal in question once reigned? Should I bow to the former King of Greece? What about Archduke Karl? Just curious. I doubt I'll ever meet a royal - reigning or non-reigning!

I would make a quick bow, more an inclination of the head and shoulders at a slight angle than a big bow from the waist.
It's hard to explain exactly.
Since I'm female, I would drop a small curtsey, particularly if the meet isn't a big formal White tie and gown dress up affair.
I always ave deep curtseys and in the case of a male, bows, for very formal occasions. Not to mention that a deep curtsey looks best in a long skirt!;)

Did anyone else notice on The Tudors what fabulous deep curtseys The Princess Mary made? Can't recall the name of the actress but she did a beautiful curtsey!

Last edited by a moderator:
The Duchess of Alba visits Queen Elizabeth II Who will bow to whom?

SHE has more recognized titles than any other noble in the world.

Some six times a duchess, 10 times a countess, 24 times a marquise, and the ‘grandest of grandees’, she is even entitled to sit and wear her hat in the presence of the Spanish king.
So the big question is who will bow to whom when the Duchess of Alba, Cayetana Fitz-James Stuart, meets the British Queen this week.
The duchess, famous for her jet set lifestyle, is attending a Gala Concert and Dinner at Buckingham Palace following an invite from His Royal Highness The Prince of Wales. But the protocol between the Duchess and the British Royals is still something of a mystery.
It may in fact be the turn of Queen Elizabeth II to bow down to the woman included on Vanity Fairs best dressed list in 2009.

http://www.zimbio.com/pictures/Z9voc3yD2-8/Prince+Foundation+Children+Arts+Royal+Charity
Prince+Charles

Last edited:
HM the Queen is a Head of the State, thus she will not bow to the Duchess.
This question had been already discussed in this thread.

I think Benedikte would curtsey to Queen Sonja, though. I remember there's a picture on this thread where she curtseys to King Juan Carlos (I think).

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I also think that she would curtsey to Queen Sonja :)

SHE has more recognized titles than any other noble in the world.

Some six times a duchess, 10 times a countess, 24 times a marquise, and the ‘grandest of grandees’, she is even entitled to sit and wear her hat in the presence of the Spanish king.
So the big question is who will bow to whom when the Duchess of Alba, Cayetana Fitz-James Stuart, meets the British Queen this week.
The duchess, famous for her jet set lifestyle, is attending a Gala Concert and Dinner at Buckingham Palace following an invite from His Royal Highness The Prince of Wales. But the protocol between the Duchess and the British Royals is still something of a mystery.
It may in fact be the turn of Queen Elizabeth II to bow down to the woman included on Vanity Fairs best dressed list in 2009.

Forgive my ignorance, but who is the Duchess of Alba? Is she a member of a reigning family?

She is a spanish noble, but not a member of a royal family :)

Back
Top Bottom