Bowing and Curtseying

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've always wondered if brothers and sisters of a monarch would bow or curtsey? How about the parents of monarchs? Example the Queen Mother to Queen Elizabeth.

I believe the Queen Mother curtsied to Elizabeth, ever so frugally, upon her succession and again at her coronation, but that was it.

I am a bit confused with the curtseying - Does it matter which leg you put back when you curtsey - in the pictures and videos I have seen of Princess Mary she puts her left leg back but in the picture of Charlene Wittstock she puts back her right leg.

Do different countries have different protocols or is it just what you are personally more comfortable with?

If I would have to curtsey, I would put my right leg back, I think. No protocol-thing, just the leg that seems most stable (I am right-handed).
I never noticed the different use of legs, but it does make me curious.

It seems that women have to make a bigger show of respect than men. The men's 'neck bow' is a trivial thing compared to the curtsies discussed here. I wonder why the difference?

It seems that women have to make a bigger show of respect than men. The men's 'neck bow' is a trivial thing compared to the curtsies discussed here. I wonder why the difference?

Not necessarily. You can get very low bows and shallower curtseys- a quick bend of the knee.

Thank you for answering my question, Esmerelda.

A few more thoughts on bowing and curtsying:

1. I saw a sign once: "A man can stand up to anything when he first kneels to God." If I were a queen, I'd rather people knelt to their heavenly monarch *before* they bent toward me. MO.

2. I admire Queen Elizabeth II so much for the graceful way she respects the customs of the people she visits. She covers her head, goes barefoot, etc. and that's so polite. She is a magnificent role model in this way.

3. But I'm a citizen of the United States and so don't think I should bow to anybody (except God.)

4. But, #2...

A moot issue, as I'm not likely ever to meet her.

Sometimes I see celebrities bowing/curtsying to royalty in a rather extravagant way, and I think doing so isn't really a respectful gesture. It's more a way for the celebrity to call attention to himself, see how graceful I am, how wonderful. They make the gesture about themselves instead of about the person to whom they are bowing/curtsying. So unattractive. I can just imagine the royal in question going home and laughing about it, "you wouldn't believe, she went all the way down to the floor! So silly..."

Last edited by a moderator:
:previous:
If you are a woman, you curtsey, but it is not mandatory, and you will not be sent to the tower if you don't. I bow my head in prayer to God, as a good Lutheran, but kneeling is not required. I have also met the Queen and been presented to her, and I curtseyed ... when in Rome, do what the Romans do .. and I am a US citizen

Oh I am excited to see Kate Middleton's first official curtsey! Which will probably be at her wedding, yes?

Last edited:
I'm not quite sure who she is cutseying too, but it must be someone who is of a higher rank.

I'm not quite sure who she is cutseying too, but it must be someone who is of a higher rank.

In the case of Princess Grace curtsying to the Shah, it had nothing to do with her not being royal in her own rights, it had nothing to do with being the consort of a monarch and not the monarch herself, but rather with the fact that Monaco, until 1992-93 was a protectorate of France and had not been introduced to the United Nations as an independent State. And in the end, who wouldn't want to endear oneself with the sovereign of an oil-producing country (particularly minute tax-haven Monaco), even though The Queen did not attend and the rumour was that the Persepolis fanfare was too crude and vulgar for the dignity of the British Monarch.

Found the above explanation on p19 :) Sorry long thread and I am just catching up!

3. But I'm a citizen of the United States and so don't think I should bow to anybody (except God.)

I don't believe there is such a thing as "God", but if for some strange, twisted reason there is such a thing as a "God"......I doubt very seriously he/she/it would want people bowing to him/her/it. It's one thing to bow or curtsy to a living, breathing person who is standing in front of you but to do the same to thin air?

If it floats your tuna boat.

Possible first

It's possible I missed it and overlooked it elsewhere in the footage from the Swedish wedding, but in case I'm right...I think I saw the first curtsey paid to the newly-titled Prince Daniel.

After the cake had been cut and the newlyweds were mingling with the guests, Victoria and Daniel each hugged Prince Nikolaos of Greece. They then each greeted Tatiana Blatnik, who curtsied to each of them after hugging them.

(***Interestingly, right after greeting Nikolaos and Tatiana, Victoria and Daniel each greeted Carina Axelsson, who curtsied to neither of them.)

A few minutes later, Queen Margrethe II comes over to congratulate the newlyweds. After hugging her, Victoria curtseys to the Danish queen.

Last edited:
:previous:
You are good to notice all of that, Victoria curties to all higher then her even a hug from Margrethe. Carina Axelsson is a very good friend to Victoria and Victoria doesn't care if she does not curtsey.
Has any see a photo of Mathilde curtsying anyone?

Back
Top Bottom