The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-06-2008, 05:11 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimebear View Post
When Charles and Diana were married, the Prime Minister of Greece refused to come to the wedding after he found out that BP had invited "HM King Constantine of the Hellenes" to the wedding. The PM took offense to the BRF referring to Constantine in this manner.
Thank you. PASOK was in power then and there has been a lot of bad blood between those politicians and the GRF.
If I remember correctly the BRF included K Constantine and Q Anne Marie with the family members rather than the heads of State.
I remember for K Carl Gustav's wedding they placed Anne Marie on the 3rd row while K Constantine was placed on the 4th row of the royals section. He was very upset about it and it showed.

Old 06-08-2008, 05:30 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post
Mette Marit curtseying to Victoria 10.6.2005
IBL Bildbyrå
Wow! This picture seems so awkward. The expression on Mette Marit's face is very interesting.

Old 06-11-2008, 05:44 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Letizia curtseying during her visit to Japan June 2005
IBL Bildbyrå | 0435 44 07 65

Old 06-11-2008, 08:01 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odette View Post
I promise to start looking for it. I am sure it is in one of the Point De Vue mags and I have to go through them. Can the person who posted the wedding photos of K Carl Gustav with Silvia Sommerlath from 1976 tell me how to move them from the mag to this site? I tried to google and look for the PDV but the google will not get me anywhere and PDV only has archives for the last 4 years. Please be patient and I promise I will get going asap.
So far I found the picture from the wedding of Prince Bertil showing him bowing and his bride curtseying to the King & Queen of Sweden but do not know how to bring the picture here to post it. I am still looking for the photo of Princess Diana curtseying to King Constantine.
I received the PDV of the wedding of Prince Joaqim and Marie Cavalier and it mentions that in Denmark a nod and a smile suffices in lieu of a curtsey but Queen Margrethe is of the old school........
Old 06-11-2008, 09:47 PM
Imperial Majesty

Odette, if you found the picture somewhere, just post the URL here and then people can click on it to look at the picture.
Old 06-11-2008, 11:10 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
Odette, if you found the picture somewhere, just post the URL here and then people can click on it to look at the picture.
It is in Point de Vue #1482 of December 17th 1976
Grand marriage princier a Stockholm. Point de Vue *.:.* only has archives for the last 4 years, that I know of.
Old 06-14-2008, 08:23 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

the Duchess of Gloucester and the Queen

Old 06-17-2008, 08:40 PM
Commoner

Does Anyone Have A Picture Of Kate Middleton Curtseying?????
Old 06-18-2008, 01:32 PM
Majesty

here is one of maxima

http://www.iblbildarkiv.net/FotoWeb/...2B920DAE7E7D00
Old 06-18-2008, 02:08 PM
Aristocracy

I don't know if someone ever posted this or not, this is Sarah Brown curtseying to Camilla.

http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/200...UN_468x448.jpg
Old 06-18-2008, 02:10 PM
Aristocracy

this one is Baroness Tatcher and the Queen

http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/200...ES_468x580.jpg
Old 06-18-2008, 05:42 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRH MAZA View Post
Does Anyone Have A Picture Of Kate Middleton Curtseying?????

i would like to see if there was a picture of her curtseying at the Garter Day but so far not luck

Old 06-22-2008, 05:13 AM
Imperial Majesty

Sarah Brown, wife of prime minister Gordon Brown, curtseys to duchess of Cornwall
Daily Mail
Old 06-22-2008, 08:54 AM
Aristocracy

Don't misunderstand me, please. I never said the contrary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince of Chota View Post
Actually, Austria's position on titles is more strict than that of the United States. It is illegal to use a title in Austria, or even to use an adelspredikat ("von" or "de").

In the United States, it is forbidden for the government to grant titles of nobility, and it is expected that noblemen relinquish their titles in order to become American citizens. However, Americans are allowed to inherit titles without losing citizenship.

As for bowing/curtseying, it is not a faux pas for an American. It is considered polite to show knowledge of protocol, both foreign and domestic. The constitution has nothing to do with it.
Old 06-22-2008, 10:43 AM
Heir Presumptive

That was very interesting Prince of Chota. I saw once in a biography of the Duchess of Windsor that they had mistaken her first husband´s name "Earl" for a title and said she had been married to a Count....
In Portugal there was a socialite who for some time appeared in the society magazines as Lady Betty.....but someone seems to have put them straight about this as I haven´t seen that for months.
Old 06-22-2008, 01:58 PM
Imperial Majesty

A couple of photos from bowing:
United Nations Secretary-General Dag Hammarskjold bows his head as he formally welcomes Queen Mother Elizabeth on the 30th October 1954
Corbis
Princess Margaret is greeted by Charlie Chaplin on her arrival at the Odeon Theater for the London premiere of the comedian's new film, Limelight on the 18th October 1952
Corbis
Old 06-29-2008, 03:01 PM
Imperial Majesty

Pop star Enrique Iglesias bows to King Juan Carlos of Spain after Iglesias performed prior to the Euro 2008 final between Germany and Spain
Daylife
Old 07-03-2008, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessofEurope View Post
What a lovely series of photos, HRH makes a beautiful curtsey

God Save The Queen!

Old 07-21-2008, 12:06 AM
Heir Presumptive

As an American, we don't have leaders you bow/curtsy to. If I was meeting President Bush, I would merely shake his hand and say "Mr. President". That's it. If you did curtsy to the President, people would think you lost your mind.

Now if I was meeting the Queen of England, I would most certainly curtsy, as that is what you do when you meet royalty. You're certainly not obligated as no member of MI5 is going to bop you over the head with a cane if you don't, but it would appear quite rude not to and who wants to appear rude in public? I would hate for the Queen of England to think I was raised with no manners.

I don't view bowing/curtsying as submitting to anyone or showing that someone is superior to you or anything else like that. It's respectful. The same as you don't talk with your mouth full, belch at the table or say what you're going to the bathroom for when you get up from the table.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 07-21-2008, 04:25 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince of Chota View Post
I think of it like refusing to take your hat off in church, whether or not it is the denomination you believe in. It's rude...and how hard can it be to bend at the waist?!
But it's only rude to those who believe it's rude. I personally don't see a problem with wearing a hat in church, it's just a building when all's said and done. Simarlarly, if someone chooses not to bow to a member of the Royal Family I don't see it as being rude, it's their choice.