The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-12-2019, 07:40 PM
Heir Apparent

Not sure about the hand clasp of Dona zirita

Old 10-17-2019, 12:27 AM
Heir Apparent

HGD Guillaume bows and HGD Stephanie curtseys to King Philippe and Queen Mathilde on October 16

https://twitter.com/WDehandschutter/...33099503325186

Old 10-17-2019, 10:44 AM
Majesty

Beautifully and gracefully executed without losing any of the familial warmth between the two couples.

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 10-22-2019, 07:03 AM
Imperial Majesty

CP Victoria curtsey to King Felipe and the Royal Couple of Netherland

https://twitter.com/i/status/1186581368974786560
Old 10-22-2019, 10:41 PM
Aristocracy

a curtsey to Meghan.

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/10...1777684431.jpg
Old 10-24-2019, 10:31 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by eya View Post
CP Victoria curtsey to King Felipe and the Royal Couple of Netherland

https://twitter.com/i/status/1186581368974786560
Excellent curtseys by CP Victoria, nevertheless I cannot understand why she curtseyd to K Felipe and to the Dutch royal Couple but not to queen Letizia, unless I missed it.
Old 10-24-2019, 02:40 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by fandesacs2003 View Post
Excellent curtseys by CP Victoria, nevertheless I cannot understand why she curtseyd to K Felipe and to the Dutch royal Couple but not to queen Letizia, unless I missed it.
Because she did it just before the video started so we all missed it.
Old 10-24-2019, 04:00 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by fandesacs2003 View Post
I did see a video of Crown Princess Victoria curtsying to queen Letizia,it might have been just not in that particular video.

16th of November,1528 : Birth of Jeanne d'Albret,Queen of Navarre
Old 10-24-2019, 05:01 PM
Courtier

The one thing I was wondering - I saw CP Victoria curtsying to the now Japanese CP Kiko. Being a CP herself - why would she need to curtsey?
Old 10-24-2019, 07:32 PM
Majesty

Mary's curtsy to Masako
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EHrRDgBWsAIgVvV.jpg
Old 10-24-2019, 07:48 PM
Aristocracy

Mary is such a graceful woman! I have huge admiration for her!
Old 10-24-2019, 08:34 PM
Majesty

It's interesting to see Victoria curtsying to her former peers and people who are clearly close friends. I loved that Maxima was determined to get her double buss even if there was a curtsey in between them.

I also noticed the degree of curtseys for all the royals was case-specific in that the friends meeting in the hallways prior to the formal reception were all over the place (eg Max) and the kind of curtsey to the new Emperor and Empress as exemplified by the photo of the formal curtsey as shown by Mary in the reception line.

Actually, I like the way the Japanese Imperial House handle a Formal royal reception line to the Emperor and Empress. The formal announcement, the bow and curtsey to them and time to move on as the next announcement. When everyone is lined up it looks messy and sometimes the formalities are rushed and the curtsey reduced to a bob and a bow can even be imperceptible.
Old 10-26-2019, 04:01 PM
Heir Apparent

The Prince of Wales bowing to Emperor Naruhito and Empress Masako.

https://youtu.be/w2s_hbTj0Wg?t=2832

Prince Charles has now attended two Dutch royal inaugurations (Beatrix's and Willem-Alexander's) and two Japanese enthronements (Akihito's and Naruhito's).

Crown Princess Victoria curtsying twice to Empress Masako. I guess she forgot she had already done it or it was just pure instinct.

https://youtu.be/w2s_hbTj0Wg?t=3389

It is nice that Mary, Letizia, Victoria, Mxima and Mathilde all warmly kissed/hugged Masako, something that would be unthinkable in the rigid Japanese protocol of ages past, I suppose. Of course, they all know what Masako has gone through since she got married and are genuinely happy for her.
Old 10-27-2019, 01:37 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by countess felicitas View Post
The one thing I was wondering - I saw CP Victoria curtsying to the now Japanese CP Kiko. Being a CP herself - why would she need to curtsey?
There is never a need to curtsy. It is always and ever optional. That Victoria did it is probably because it came out of herself to do so. Let me say: like Mette-Marit curtsied to Camilla. Victoria even curtsied twice to Masako in one greeting...
Old 10-28-2019, 02:14 PM

Japanese are talking about curtseying and how to curtsey. Since Japanese do not curtsey at all, this etiquette seems be quite interesting to them. In this video, you can see princesses curtseyed to HM The Empress of Japan.

There is a lot of news about Crown Princess Mary curtseyed after cheek-kissing. They wondered why she did that.
Old 10-28-2019, 03:06 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
There is never a need to curtsy. It is always and ever optional. That Victoria did it is probably because it came out of herself to do so. Let me say: like Mette-Marit curtsied to Camilla. Victoria even curtsied twice to Masako in one greeting...
Is there a picture of Victoria & Kiko? It's very odd that Victoria would do this. I have never understood Mette-Marit's curtsey to Camilla.
Old 10-28-2019, 03:14 PM
Majesty

Mette-Marit got it wrong, that's all. HSH Princess Charlene of Monaco, the actual wife of a Head of State, made the same error.

Back in the old days they had a lady-in-waiting or a protocol person to instruct them to avoid faux-pas like those.

But it's not a big deal, imo.

Better a too polite error than an impolite one.

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 10-28-2019, 03:17 PM
Heir Presumptive

I think Victoria was maybe just so curtsey mad after doing so many in such a short space of time she saw a foreign royal and kissed and bobbed as she has been doing a lot that night.
Old 10-28-2019, 03:24 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
I think Victoria was maybe just so curtsey mad after doing so many in such a short space of time she saw a foreign royal and kissed and bobbed as she has been doing a lot that night.
Yes I can see why that could happen
Old 10-28-2019, 05:46 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
Mette-Marit got it wrong, that's all. HSH Princess Charlene of Monaco, the actual wife of a Head of State, made the same error.

I am actually on the fence about Charlene having made a mistake or not.

As an HSH, I think it is proper that she curtsies to an HRH. As I think it is proper that GD Maria Teresa, as an HRH, curtsies to HM The Queen.

But then, there is the complication that Charlene and Maria Teresa are both wives of a Head of State. Personally I don't think that exempts them from curstying in the aforementioned situations, but I agree it is controversial. Mme Macron, the wife of the Head of State of France, curtsied to Queen Margrethe II and I believe Mme Chirac curtsied to Queen Elizabeth II.