The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-12-2019, 01:56 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalriada View Post
I donít think any other news organisation has covered this as extensively as the DM with over 100 photos including the very dramatic photo of a big deep deep curtsey of welcome from what seems a John Lewis partner (not called an employee!) which is at odds with the companyís egalitarian ethos and as one commentator put it:
ďI used to be a proper royalist but an elderly woman curtseying to someone who's husband is sixth in line to the throne is just wrong on so many levels in the 21st century. Starting to turn republican I think.Ē
Perhaps someone should tell the older commentator that itís not mandatory for anyone to curtsy to senior royals. Itís all down to personal preference.

A.W. TOZER
Old 09-12-2019, 02:30 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Perhaps someone should tell the older commentator that itís not mandatory for anyone to curtsy to senior royals. Itís all down to personal preference.

There lies the cultural divergence of age and deference to monarchy during upbringing. Just because royal protocol says it is all voluntary nowadays does not completely exonerate the misplaced guilt attached to older generationsís own perceived duty to bend and bend down further on knee.

Old 09-12-2019, 02:36 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I don’t think any other news organisation has covered this as extensively as the DM with over 100 photos including the very dramatic photo of a big deep deep curtsey of welcome from what seems a John Lewis partner (not called an employee!) which is at odds with the company’s egalitarian ethos and as one commentator put it:
“I used to be a proper royalist but an elderly woman curtseying to someone who's husband is sixth in line to the throne is just wrong on so many levels in the 21st century. Starting to turn republican I think.”
The commentator doesn't have to curtsy to Meghan if they choose not to do so.

The not-so-very-old woman (definitely NOT elderly!) really only gave a slight courtesy curtsy as she shook Meghan's hand. No different than many others do when greeting a royal. I don't get the outrage.

Quote:
There lies the cultural divergence of age and deference to monarchy during upbringing. Just because royal protocol says it is all voluntary nowadays does not completely exonerate the misplaced guilt attached to older generations’s own perceived duty to bend and bend down further on knee.
Oh good grief. The outrage on behalf of an executive from John Lewis & Partners (that's the company's name) for giving a slight curtsy to Meghan is pretty funny.
Old 09-12-2019, 02:47 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
The commentator doesn't have to curtsy to Meghan if they choose not to do so.

The not-so-very-old woman (definitely NOT elderly!) really only gave a slight courtesy curtsy as she shook Meghan's hand. No different than many others do when greeting a royal. I don't get the outrage.

Oh good grief. The outrage on behalf of an executive from John Lewis for giving a slight curtsy to Meghan is
pretty funny.

Deep deep as deep can be! Just like our own prime ministerís curtsy which was heavily criticised who actually had a role and a duty to serve. I ask posters to study the DM photo of the deep curtsey.
Old 09-12-2019, 04:02 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Deep deep as deep can be! Just like our own prime ministerís curtsy which was heavily criticised who actually had a role and a duty to serve. I ask posters to study the DM photo of the deep curtsey.
https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/09...8303053016.jpg

Eye of the beholder...
Old 09-12-2019, 04:11 PM
Imperial Majesty

Looks like a normal curtesy to me ...video would probably clarify things. Certainly not the deep type we see given to the Queen etc.

LaRae
Old 09-12-2019, 04:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

Here is a video. It looked like a pretty normal one to me.

Old 09-12-2019, 04:42 PM
Commoner

It did not seem that deep to me either. But as was said above, its all in the eye of the beholder.
Old 09-12-2019, 05:29 PM
Imperial Majesty

It was a nice respectable ‘bob’ and that’s perfectly fine. The royals don’t judge you based on whether you give them a curtsy or not. Some choose to give a curtsy (deep or not) when they greet a senior royal and some choose to not give a curtsy at all. It’s all perfectly fine.

A.W. TOZER
Old 09-12-2019, 06:34 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
It was a nice respectable Ďbobí and thatís perfectly fine. The royals donít judge you based on whether you give them a curtsy or not. Some choose to give a curtsy (deep or not) when they greet a senior royal and some choose to not give a curtsy at all. Itís all perfectly fine.
This reminds me of that wonderful line from the film The Queen:

"I don't measure the depth of a curtsy I leave that to my sister"

I must admit I don't like it when people don't greet the monarch in the traditional manner but as for the rest I have no opinion either way.
Old 09-12-2019, 07:00 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
Here is a video. It looked like a pretty normal one to me.

Yes, just a little dip.
Old 09-23-2019, 02:50 AM
Courtier

I found this interview with Alistair Bruce who is historical adviser on Downton Abbey (and equerry to the Earl of Wessex). Towards the end of the article he talks about curtseying and the difference between a "housemaid's bob" and a real curtsey.

Apparently, Lady Susan Hussey has one of the best curtseys.

https://www.townandcountrymag.com/le...-royal-family/
Old 09-23-2019, 04:07 AM
Serene Highness

Thank you for posting. It was very interesting to read.
I haven't seen the series, or the film. Perhaps one day, when I have time and energy left in the evenings.
Old 09-26-2019, 03:37 PM
Commoner

Kate and curtseying

I have read that as Duchess, Kate has to bow to blood born princesses (ex. Eugenie and Beatrice), but when she becomes Queen Consort will they have to then bow to Kate?
Old 09-26-2019, 03:40 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarzuela View Post
Not only Americans, but also people from all other countries are not required to bow to anyone. There is no international law that punishes people who don't bow to royals.

An American may bow if he or she wants to, but this choice is available to all the people of the world.
Is there a law that punishes people in the UK for not bowing to the Queen?
Old 09-26-2019, 03:56 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissPeach77 View Post
Is there a law that punishes people in the UK for not bowing to the Queen?
No, there isn't.
Old 09-26-2019, 04:14 PM
Commoner

Quote:
I have read that as Duchess, Kate has to bow to blood born princesses (ex. Eugenie and Beatrice), but when she becomes Queen Consort will they have to then bow to Kate?
Yes. She will be the top woman of the court.
Old 09-26-2019, 04:15 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
When Catherine becomes Queen Consort (yes) Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie will curtsy to Catherine.

The young royals donít bow and curtsy to each other.

A.W. TOZER
Old 09-26-2019, 04:29 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
To add to Dman's response, its also good to know that actually bowing and curtsying is a choice and not a requirement. This applies to the general public.

If you see all the royals gathered at an event and see some bowing and curtsying to the Queen and some of them not, the chances are the the ones that refrain from curtsying to the Queen in public saw her earlier and did it then. The rule of thumb for a royal family member is one does a curtsy the first time they see the Queen and they're good for the rest of the day. So if William and Kate went to Balmoral (or were staying there), they most likely have seen the Queen at home and not at the arrival of a church service. If Charles and Camilla were staying at Birkhall (on the Balmoral estate) and came from there to the church, it would be the first time of the day they saw her and would pay their respects outside of the church.
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 09-26-2019, 04:35 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Well there's an old saying not to believe everything you read and I always ignore articles that read 'Duchess Kate' as there's no such person,I know I'm too picky

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!