The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-25-2018, 08:30 PM
Imperial Majesty

There are Catholics who do bend the knee for Bishops/Cardinals ...some kiss their ring or even press their forehead to the hand of a priest. Just depends on the person and their practices or what the norm is for their parish/culture.

It's a sign of reverence to the office they hold, not the person themselves.

LaRae

Old 06-25-2018, 08:38 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
'Genuflecting' [bending the Knee] IS done in High Anglican Churches [in the UK, but only to the Altar [on entering or leaving a Pew]..
Never to a prelate.. who doesn't have the 'intercessor with God' status in this church, that he has in the Catholic faith.
You are quite right. It is still done here in High Churchs as well.

Old 06-25-2018, 10:37 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
There are Catholics who do bend the knee for Bishops/Cardinals ...some kiss their ring or even press their forehead to the hand of a priest. Just depends on the person and their practices or what the norm is for their parish/culture.

LaRae
I have never seen anyone bending their knees for a Bishop,. Kissing a bishop’s ring is fairly common though. In fact, even the King and the Queen of Spain do it as it can be seen at Felipe and Letizia’s wedding.

I have seen princesses, including Protestant princesses like Madeleine of Sweden, curtsying to the Pope, but I guess that is because the Pope is also technically a head of state and a monarch.
Old 06-25-2018, 11:50 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
I have never seen anyone bending their knees for a Bishop,. Kissing a bishop’s ring is fairly common though. In fact, even the King and the Queen of Spain do it as it can be seen at Felipe and Letizia’s wedding.

I have seen princesses, including Protestant princesses like Madeleine of Sweden, curtsying to the Pope, but I guess that is because the Pope is also technically a head of state and a monarch.

Well the pope is a Bishop....but yes it used to be more common, probably rarely done now/more often done by other clergy to senior prelates... except when it comes to The Holy Father.

LaRae
Old 06-26-2018, 04:24 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_royalist View Post
It's probably a denominational thing then - Roman Catholics tend to 'genuflect' (?curtsey) before religious statues etc, whereas Protestants do not.
No they don't.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post

LaRae
So is bowing or curtysting to a royal... its not "humiliating oneself" unless the person thinks of it as humilitation.. in wich case they should not be doing it...
Old 06-26-2018, 06:43 AM
Heir Apparent

This is a royal board and not religious !
Old 06-26-2018, 07:56 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
There is no way I would curtsey to another human being - they are no better than I am and so do not deserve to have me humiliate myself before them.
If someone else choose to curtsey or bow then they have that right and I will respect that but I personally wouldn't do it.
Why do you consider bowing/curtseying humiliating? I see this as a sign of respect, not subordination. Also, this is a kind gesture of following the tradition.
Remind that the Royals themselves seem not to have any troubles with doing that. They do it always and very properly.
Old 06-26-2018, 10:23 PM
Heir Apparent

Princess Cristina of Spain curtseyed to her father King Juan Carlos in 2006.
http://www.gettyimages.com/license/71009688
Old 07-29-2018, 11:51 AM
Gentry

Hi, does the mother of a Monarch have to curtsy to their child. I know the Queen Mother did not have to curtsy to The Queen but what about if Diana was alive when her son William was on the throne. Would she obliged to curtsy to him?
Old 08-01-2018, 04:37 AM
Nobility

Bowing and curtseying is a gesture of greeting, a very traditional sign of respect by an individual for an individual. Today, mostly a matter of tradition. It is not a must as nobody is expected to do that anymore. It's up to you.

However, I think it is noticeable when so many commoners do not follow that, most royal families keep the tradition themselves and bow/curtsy to each other. Consorts, unless considered unequal (like the Princess de Rethy), customarily take the rank of the monarchs they are married to. Thus, it is not expected from Queen Letizia of Spain to curtsy to Mathilde of Belgium. I also don't see them curtsying to Willem-Alexander and Felipe VI, respectively. However, for example here on this video https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xqx18a you can see The Duke of Edinburgh bowing to the monarchs but not their spouses.

Back to your question, I can imagine Princess Diana curtsying to her ex-husband when he becomes King and then her elder son when he succeeds him. Why not? But would she be "obliged"? No one is obliged to do that.

I can also imagine that, on the moment she saw her daughter for the first time as Queen, the Queen Mother did that also, just to show her respect to the new Sovereign. I remember the scenes from The Crown TV series when Elizabeth II meets her closest family members, the mother, sister and grandmother, the old grand Queen Mary, for the first time as Queen. Of course, this is just a fictitious interpretation of history. Are there any sources for that actually happened? Nevertheless, I can imagine it did.
Old 08-01-2018, 06:31 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal_enthusiast View Post
[...]Would she obliged to curtsy to him?

A révérence or a bow is always optional and never an obligation.
Old 08-01-2018, 06:37 AM
Aristocracy

Bowing and Curtseying

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
This is a royal board and not religious !

Bishops have been traditionally regarded as “princes of the Church”, the Holy Father as Bishop of Rome is also an absolute monarch.
Old 08-01-2018, 07:03 AM
Nobility

It is the cardinals who are considered by some "princes" of the Church. But they are not monarchs. The only two bishops who are monarchs currently (and not even cardinals) are the Pope, who may be considered as the absolute monarch of Vatican City and the Bishop of Urgell, who is ex officio Co-Prince of Andorra.

Some bishops or even abbots and provosts (!) were immediate princes of the Holy Roman Empire, combining their ecclesiastical role with that of a ruler (holder) over (of) an Imperial fief. But they are not anymore. The Archbishops of Kraków, Poland, were also Dukes of Siewierz and were, at least nominally, independent in that capacity (meaning that they had no sovereign over them in right of Siewierz). The Duchy was formally not a part of the HRE nor the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth.

Some other high-ranking prelates also used princely titles, which corresponded to their offices or possessions, such as the Archbishops of Warmia (Ermland), who were designated as Princes-Bishops by the Emperor but were later subordinate to the Crown of Poland and thus did not held monarchical status or power. Some Church possessions were designated as principalities, with the corresponding office holders using princely titles but it does not mean they were monarchs over the lands.
Old 08-05-2018, 09:55 PM
Courtier

Bowing and Curtseying

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbk View Post
Bowing and curtseying is a gesture of greeting, a very traditional sign of respect by an individual for an individual. Today, mostly a matter of tradition. It is not a must as nobody is expected to do that anymore. It's up to you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
A révérence or a bow is always optional and never an obligation.

I sometimes curtsy to my piano/vocal teacher during recital prep, when I'm doing a complete run through during my lesson and she pretends she's the whole audience and applauds me when I'm done ("A little curtsy?" she cutely asked me in her girlish voice one time after I did one), although last year at the year-end recital I was feeling a little bit shy about curtsying to the entire audience, so on my way back to my seat I stopped in front of hers in the front row and just gave her a little dip (I was wearing a floor-length lightweight white summer dress); she smiled prettily back at me.
Old 08-08-2018, 10:07 AM
Majesty

PM Theresa May gives a curtsy to The Duke of Cambridge upon his arrival at today’s ceremony in France

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DkFFfBUXcAENqr3.jpg
Old 08-08-2018, 03:49 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
PM Theresa May gives a curtsy to The Duke of Cambridge upon his arrival at today’s ceremony in France
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DkFFfBUXcAENqr3.jpg
Curtsies looked 'elegant' when there was all that draping cloth so the woman looked like a descending and rising cloud. But seeing those legs in a pretzel in today's clothing looks grotesque. Sorry. Does.
Old 08-08-2018, 03:58 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post
Curtsies looked 'elegant' when there was all that draping cloth so the woman looked like a descending and rising cloud. But seeing those legs in a pretzel in today's clothing looks grotesque. Sorry. Does.

Yes, curtsies do look better in a floor-length dress, but a knee-length one will do as long as it’s A-line.
Old 08-08-2018, 04:14 PM
Imperial Majesty

Those curtsies in tight skirts...ugh.

LaRae
Old 08-08-2018, 05:07 PM
Majesty

A better view of the prime minister’s curtsy. She does go low.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DkFS8JqW4AAbKck.jpg
Old 08-08-2018, 05:08 PM
Heir Apparent

It needs to be changed: women need to be able to discharge their 'obligation' with a nod of the head, just like men. The curtsy is just too subservient imo. Just the way it looks: grown women, intelligent and educated, powerful in their own right, doing that pretzel......no. JMO. The men get away with hardly being noticed doing the nod of their head.