The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-27-2017, 11:47 AM
Nobility

I think photos give a skewed impression of difference between the two curtseys because Kate and Meghan weren't totally in sync (nor did they need to be). Meghan's happened a hair earlier than Kate's, so the still pictures that show both mid-curtsey are of Kate at her deepest point while Meghan is midway through straightening back up.

Old 12-27-2017, 11:49 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefanie View Post
Meghan's curtsy IMO was too short and not deep enough.
I have the feeling that she finds curtsying silly and therefore didn' t follow Kate' s possible training but decided on her own what is "enough".....
The princesses of the blood behind her didn't curtsey at all. So, they could have easily avoided it but didn't. So, to me it looks like a (practiced) sign of respect of the brothers and their wife/fiancée for their (future) grandmother the queen (and as Harry and Meghan stayed with William and Catherine they had lots of time to practice in between the playing with George and Charlotte - still Meghan seemed rather nervous). So, I see no reason at all to think that she finds it silly: she is clearly adopting all the different customs of her new life/family as well as she possibly can. It won't be perfect but she has years of fine-tuning ahead of her.

Old 12-27-2017, 11:54 AM
Royal Highness

Yea, I don't see how she showed anything that seemed she thinks it's silly. When I watched the engagement interview, it was clear that she has a lot of respect, and dare I say in awe, of the Queen.
Old 12-27-2017, 12:05 PM
Aristocracy

It may be too short, may be not deep enough (which I partially agree, and I even think Kate's curtsy is so-so too), because obviously she is doing it carefully, because she still doesn't fully adapt it. Come on, it is her first event that needs a curtsy in her whole life. I don't see how it can be interpreted as "she finds it's silly".
Old 12-27-2017, 01:42 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
The princesses of the blood behind her didn't curtsey at all.
Probably because they had already seen their mother/grandmother at Sandringham that morning. I believe the rule is you only need to curtsey/bow at your first meeting of the day. So this was the first time the Cambridges and Harry & Meghan had seen the Queen that day.
Old 12-27-2017, 02:14 PM
Aristocracy

I thought Meghan's curtsy looked like Kate's, although M's eyes were downcast during part of the curtsy. She looked pretty natural to me.
Old 12-27-2017, 02:21 PM
Royal Highness

I just had a random question pop into my head. Has any of the older ladies in the BRF been waived from the curtsying yet? I imagine, at some point, age makes curtsying difficult for various reasons(joint issues, etc.).
Old 12-27-2017, 03:17 PM
Heir Apparent

I don't think we could ever know this. Because the ever gracious Elizabeth and her staff would feel no need to disclose this. It would border on demeaning, depending on who we were talking about. And we would have no way of knowing as long as they met first for the event in private.

From a practical POV, I am quite sure at some point the arm hug/curtsey move gets adjusted on both ends as one or the other person ages/gets less flexible. From a practical POV, I would not be be surprised to know there or older or sicker females who migrate to a head bow, eventually. Equally, I am sure there are elders who practice their curtsey just so that they can keep doing it for HM. And finally, anyone meeting the Queen in a wheelchair or abed (infirm) would of course not curtesy.
Old 12-27-2017, 04:54 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
Probably because they had already seen their mother/grandmother at Sandringham that morning. I believe the rule is you only need to curtsey/bow at your first meeting of the day. So this was the first time the Cambridges and Harry & Meghan had seen the Queen that day.
I remember many years ago someone in an interview asked Princess Michael about curtseying and she said it's "hello and goodbye." My guess is also that the Cambridges, Harry, and Meghan hadn't seen The Queen yet that morning, and that the preference is to NOT bow & curtsey at a regular church service, but afterwards. Obviously, formal occasions such as Thanksgiving Services, weddings, etc. are in a different category.
Old 01-05-2018, 04:28 PM
Heir Apparent

Princess Desiree of Sweden curtseying to Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko of Japan
Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko are welcomed by Princess Desiree... News Photo | Getty Images
Old 01-05-2018, 06:04 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
The princesses of the blood behind her didn't curtsey at all. So, they could have easily avoided it but didn't. So, to me it looks like a (practiced) sign of respect of the brothers and their wife/fiancée for their (future) grandmother the queen (and as Harry and Meghan stayed with William and Catherine they had lots of time to practice in between the playing with George and Charlotte - still Meghan seemed rather nervous).
Honestly, I don't see why a healthy, young woman should feel nervous about doing something as simple as genuflecting. Meghan probably does far more complicated things every week on her yoga or Pilates classes (assuming she takes those, which is likely for an actress !).
Old 01-05-2018, 08:50 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Honestly, I don't see why a healthy, young woman should feel nervous about doing something as simple as genuflecting. Meghan probably does far more complicated things every week on her yoga or Pilates classes (assuming she takes those, which is likely for an actress !).
According to Meghan in previous interviews she's been doing yoga since she was a child (her mother teaches yoga) and still goes a few times a week. I've seen pics of her in poses and she is super flexible. She has all kinds of muscle control/tone. Curtseying would be a simple thing for her.

LaRae
Old 01-06-2018, 12:14 AM
Majesty

Quote:
The princesses of the blood behind her didn't curtsey at all. So, they could have easily avoided it but didn't. So, to me it looks like a (practiced) sign of respect of the brothers and their wife/fiancée for their (future) grandmother the queen (and as Harry and Meghan stayed with William and Catherine they had lots of time to practice in between the playing with George and Charlotte - still Meghan seemed rather nervous). So, I see no reason at all to think that she finds it silly: she is clearly adopting all the different customs of her new life/family as well as she possibly can. It won't be perfect but she has years of fine-tuning ahead of her.
Staying with the Cambridges would have been the reason they were the only ones bowing. They don't bow to the queen every time they see her, just the first time they see her in the day. For those who had stayed at the main house, like her daughter and granddaughters, they'd have already seen her.

Quote:
Not sure pilates, but we have seen Meghan leave yoga class plenty in the media. And has been doing it for years with her mother who teaches it. Plenty of photos of Meghan showing off her yoga flexibility.
Old 01-11-2018, 08:34 AM
Heir Presumptive

I have a question: we all know that any kind of Highness ( i,e. Imperial Highness, Royal Highness, Serene Highness, etc) normally has to bow/curtsy to a Majesty, but, by the same logic, shouldn't a Royal Highness bow/curtsy to an Imperial Highness, or shouldn't a Highness or Serene Highness bow/curtsy to a Royal Highness or an Imperial Highness ? Why is it the case that we don't normally see that happening ?
Old 01-11-2018, 10:30 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
I have a question: we all know that any kind of Highness ( i,e. Imperial Highness, Royal Highness, Serene Highness, etc) normally has to bow/curtsy to a Majesty, but, by the same logic, shouldn't a Royal Highness bow/curtsy to an Imperial Highness, or shouldn't a Highness or Serene Highness bow/curtsy to a Royal Highness or an Imperial Highness ? Why is it the case that we don't normally see that happening ?
I think now the royals usually only bow/curtsy to monarchs (and their spouses). If it does not involve sovereign heads, they just have a normal greeting.

But if the "Royal Highness" or "Serene Highness" also is sovereign head (e.g. Henri and Albert), I think he/she doesn't need to bow/curtsy to the "Majesty". It is not always "Imperial Highness" outranks "Royal Highness" outranks "Serene Highness", sometimes they are all same.

Question: do the other "Royal Highness" or "Serene Highness" have to bow/curtsy to Henri and Albert (or other sovereign heads without the style Majesty)?
Old 01-11-2018, 10:38 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
do the other "Royal Highness" or "Serene Highness" have to bow/curtsy to Henri and Albert (or other sovereign heads without the style Majesty)?
Yes, as a courtesy to a Head of State.
Old 01-11-2018, 11:05 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.Y.CII View Post
I think now the royals usually only bow/curtsy to monarchs (and their spouses). If it does not involve sovereign heads, they just have a normal greeting.

But if the "Royal Highness" or "Serene Highness" also is sovereign head (e.g. Henri and Albert), I think he/she doesn't need to bow/curtsy to the "Majesty". It is not always "Imperial Highness" outranks "Royal Highness" outranks "Serene Highness", sometimes they are all same.

Question: do the other "Royal Highness" or "Serene Highness" have to bow/curtsy to Henri and Albert (or other sovereign heads without the style Majesty)?
I have seen pictures of GD Maria Teresa of Luxembourg curtsying to QEII and I think the Sovereign Prince of Monaco also bows to her. That seems to conform to the rule that a Royal Highness or Serene Highness bows/curtsies to a Majesty even when he or she is a sovereign or a sovereign's consort.
Old 01-11-2018, 11:56 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
I have seen pictures of GD Maria Teresa of Luxembourg curtsying to QEII and I think the Sovereign Prince of Monaco also bows to her. That seems to conform to the rule that a Royal Highness or Serene Highness bows/curtsies to a Majesty even when he or she is a sovereign or a sovereign's consort.
Not sure about Monaco (yes I remember that I've see photos of Albert and Charlene bow/curtsy to QEII too) but I still believe that GD of Luxembourg doesn't need to bow/curtsy to Majesty.

0:06 Henri didn't bow (and unfortunately it didn't show MT)

1:33 both Henri and MT didn't bow/curtsy to Beatrix (but interestingly Guillaume didn't too)

0:25 both Jean and JC didn't bow/curtsy to QEII (and again, Margaret and Anne didn't curtsy to GD couple too)

I think we will never get a clear answer because somehow I think it really depends on individuals and they don't have an actual rule about that
Old 01-11-2018, 12:26 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.Y.CII View Post
Not sure about Monaco (yes I remember that I've see photos of Albert and Charlene bow/curtsy to QEII too) but I still believe that GD of Luxembourg doesn't need to bow/curtsy to Majesty.

0:06 Henri didn't bow (and unfortunately it didn't show MT)

1:33 both Henri and MT didn't bow/curtsy to Beatrix (but interestingly Guillaume didn't too)

0:25 both Jean and JC didn't bow/curtsy to QEII (and again, Margaret and Anne didn't curtsy to GD couple too)

I think we will never get a clear answer because somehow I think it really depends on individuals and they don't have an actual rule about that
Indeed, GD Henri didn't bow to QEII in the first video. I am not sure about Maria Teresa though. She seems to bend her knee, but maybe she was just adjusting to Queen Elizabeth's height .

Honestly I would be surprised if Henri had bowed to Queen Beatrix. First of all, she was a fellow Benelux monarch, Second, being from a Benelux country himself, Henri is fully aware that bowing. and curtsying are no longer observed in practice in those countries,

BTW, did the Princes of Belgium (I mean the HRHs, not the King) bow to Queen Beatrix ? Or do the Princesses and Princes of the Netherlanda bow/ curtsy to the King of the Belgians ? I suspect they don't although I know that British or Scandinavian princes/ princesses did/ do in both cases.
Old 01-11-2018, 01:35 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
BTW, did the Princes of Belgium (I mean the HRHs, not the King) bow to Queen Beatrix ? Or do the Princesses and Princes of the Netherlanda bow/ curtsy to the King of the Belgians ? I suspect they don't although I know that British or Scandinavian princes/ princesses did/ do in both cases.
https://i.pinimg.com/736x/63/a2/c1/6...oyal-house.jpg
The lady in blue is Laurentien, and I don't find any photo of the belgians bow/curtsy to the Netherlands' king and queen but I'm pretty they would also bow/curtsy to them.

I know sometimes they are not as strict as the Scandinavian and British on bow and curtsy but they still follow the basic rule - bow and curtsy to foreign king and queen (the majesty).