The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-25-2017, 12:38 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
That will certainly be controversial for some Americans, but they should get used to it.
This American loved it and got all giggly about it... she looked so happy.

Old 12-25-2017, 01:05 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by FashionMaven View Post
This American loved it and got all giggly about it... she looked so happy.
The reason why I said it was controversial is that there is a widespread misconception in the US, which has been actually repeated many times before on TRF, that Americans do not (or should not) bow (or curtsy) to anybody. Ms Markle's curtsy to the Queen would symbolically signify that she is giving up her "American identity" and embracing her new status as a British subject.

Just to make it clear, I don't think that is the case, but I'm pretty sure many Americans would see it that way.

Old 12-25-2017, 01:10 PM
Courtier

She's about to join a clan with a formidable matriarch. If it's appropriate for her to show respect with a little dip, then that's what she should do.

If it were me, I don't think I would curtsy. I'm not a British subject nor do I plan to become one, so I do not see why it would be required of me.
Old 12-25-2017, 01:22 PM
Imperial Majesty

You aren't required to curtsey.

LaRae
Old 12-25-2017, 01:23 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Verseau View Post
I'm glad Meghan curtseyed before the queen. I thought we wouldn't see her first curtsy until her wedding day. If she didn't here the press would have dragged her for days. And with all the fuss about who curtseys to whom why didn't the blood princesses (Beatrice and Eugenie) do so? Also, does Meghan receive a bow or curtsy now? At the Nottingham event I saw a woman cursty to Meghan as she shook her hand.
It are the media playing it up: "Kate has to curtsy to blood princesses!"

On the very own website of the Monarchy can be read that there is no obligation at all. When one feels she has to lower herselves: be the Queen's guest. When another simply says "Good morning Ma'am", an equally friendly Queen will respond.
https://www.royal.uk/greeting-member-royal-family

In The Daily Telegraph Mr Richard ("Dickie") Arbiter, for years a press officer for the Queen, said that it is all hyped up by media. Inside the royal family it is all very relaxed and the royals usually just greet the Queen like we all do.
Old 12-25-2017, 01:54 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
It are the media playing it up: "Kate has to curtsy to blood princesses!"

On the very own website of the Monarchy can be read that there is no obligation at all. When one feels she has to lower herselves: be the Queen's guest. When another simply says "Good morning Ma'am", an equally friendly Queen will respond.
https://www.royal.uk/greeting-member-royal-family

In The Daily Telegraph Mr Richard ("Dickie") Arbiter, for years a press officer for the Queen, said that it is all hyped up by media. Inside the royal family it is all very relaxed and the royals usually just greet the Queen like we all do.
I don't know what they do in private, but, at least in public events, all family members (other than the DoE) always curtsy or bow to the Queen. A similar protocol seems to be observed by the Danish and Spanish royal families vis a vis their respective monarchs. Curtsying or bowing seem to have been abandoned though in Belgium, Sweden and the Netherlands.
Old 12-25-2017, 02:22 PM
Aristocracy

Just to repeat again that we are not British 'subjects.' We are British citizens. I should know, my husband naturalised in April 2016 and he became a citizen. The whole subject thing ended in the 1940s but some Americans persist in using the anachronistic term.
Old 12-25-2017, 03:34 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Verseau View Post
I'm glad Meghan curtseyed before the queen. I thought we wouldn't see her first curtsy until her wedding day. If she didn't here the press would have dragged her for days. And with all the fuss about who curtseys to whom why didn't the blood princesses (Beatrice and Eugenie) do so? Also, does Meghan receive a bow or curtsy now? At the Nottingham event I saw a woman cursty to Meghan as she shook her hand.
Someone posted on the Christmas thread that they only bow/curtsey when first meeting the Queen. The Cambridges, Meghan, and Prince Harry didn't see the Queen before church so they bowed and curtsied when she arrived. The others, who stayed at Sandringham, already met the Queen and bowed / curtsied earlier.

Meghan receives curtseys from women and bows from men but no one is obligated to do either.
Old 12-25-2017, 04:26 PM
Heir Presumptive

All good, except the footage of the bows/curtseys were as the Queen left....also, as the Cambridges, Harry and Meghan arrived with the other royals they must have arrived at Sandringham first to walk from there to the church. I would be amazed if the Queen stays in her room while everyone gathers downstairs on Christmas Day. The Church is minutes away from the House.

I think they just curtsey or bow because they are on the bottom step and the Queen is leaving. TBH in other years we've seen Harry bow while William & Kate haven't bowed/curtsied.
Old 12-25-2017, 07:16 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaudete View Post
She did so well. She must have been terribly nervous.
She was quite composed and graceful. Especially the curtsy.
Old 12-25-2017, 07:17 PM
Courtier

I didnít see the curtsy sadly! Wish I had!
Old 12-25-2017, 07:34 PM
Majesty

It seemed to me to be a Christmas of "firsts", statements of change and affirmation of family. There was a lot of talk and discussion between the FF and even Charles and the dignified bows and curtseys made one of those statements. We are family!

To those who say it was just staged, they are right, but it doesn't change the fact that the walkers set out before the Queen and therefore, those who weren't there for breakfast hadn't seen her before leaving for church and she enters church last. So after church is their formal greeting.
Old 12-25-2017, 07:39 PM
Heir Presumptive

Again, how do you know the Queen, as hostess, didn't greet those who arrived after breakfast? I'm not saying your wrong but none of us know one way or the other. TBH I think this was somewhat staged and thats fine.
Old 12-25-2017, 07:43 PM
Courtier

At least no one will question if Meghan will curtsy to the Queen. It has been filmed.
Old 12-25-2017, 07:51 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
I don't know what they do in private, but, at least in public events, all family members (other than the DoE) always curtsy or bow to the Queen. A similar protocol seems to be observed by the Danish and Spanish royal families vis a vis their respective monarchs. Curtsying or bowing seem to have been abandoned though in Belgium, Sweden and the Netherlands.
I seem to remember that Zara once said that she always curtseys to her grandmother the queen, both in public and in private.
Old 12-25-2017, 08:07 PM
Commoner

Quote:
I didnít see the curtsy sadly! Wish I had!
Here you go
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	meghan-curtsy-queen-a.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	300939  
Old 12-25-2017, 08:08 PM
Courtier

It looked staged and intentional to me. I think it is Will/Kate's way of showing a united front which is lovely.
Old 12-25-2017, 08:11 PM
Courtier

Thankyou! Iím so impressed by her. I wish her many happy years in our country and I hope she will feel at home.
Old 12-25-2017, 09:05 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Thankyou! Iím so impressed by her. I wish her many happy years in our country and I hope she will feel at home.
I totally agree. She might feel a bit homesick at first. I know she spent a while in Canada but that was only for part of the year every year, and although maybe the American and Canadian forum members may hate me for saying this (and I admit I have never been to Canada), I don't think that it is as different to the US as the UK is.

My husband was extremely home sick when he first moved to London. But even he got there in the end (he hasn't been back to the States since 2011 now) despite the autism. Meghan strikes me as a really strong and confident person too, unlike my hubs. But in both their cases, I think having a hugely supportive spouse is key, which I think Harry will be.

Also unlike us, they'll probably have more chances to go back and visit Meghan's family, as money and time restraints won't apply like with us. Well money unlimited but I know they'll have time commitments too, but not like us ordinary working people.

Will be so good to prove all the nay-sayers wrong (as with Kate and Charlene lol).
Old 12-25-2017, 09:18 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
I didn’t see the curtsy sadly! Wish I had!
Here's a pretty good video of the royals entering and leaving the church. Scroll to about 2:54 to see the exact moment when Meghan and Kate curtsey, and William and Harry bow their heads, as the Queen departs in her vehicle.