The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-17-2017, 07:50 PM
Serene Highness

You could be right. I haven't really noticed them doing it to each other. I just notice when they do it to the Queen. I imagine they don't really to each other much. Talk about tedious.

Old 12-17-2017, 07:54 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I agree with you, Princess Squirrel. As an American myself, I would most certainly do the best curtsy that I could possibly do without ending up eating the floor out of pure respect for the Queen. Not because its protocol or not protocol for an American to do so but out of my own personal admiration and respect for this marvelous woman.
Absolutely, just respect.

Old 12-17-2017, 08:41 PM
Heir Apparent

Everyone curtsy to the Queen and Prince Phillip. The rest don’t curtsy to each other.
Old 12-17-2017, 09:20 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I agree with you, Princess Squirrel. As an American myself, I would most certainly do the best curtsy that I could possibly do without ending up eating the floor out of pure respect for the Queen. Not because its protocol or not protocol for an American to do so but out of my own personal admiration and respect for this marvelous woman.
Same here. I would be honored to curtsy to the Queen.
Old 12-17-2017, 10:35 PM
Serene Highness

And I would be more then thrilled to curtsy to HM, and then faint afterwards. To me she is a living symbol of England and all that it entails.
Old 12-17-2017, 10:49 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
Everyone curtsy to the Queen and Prince Phillip. The rest don’t curtsy to each other.
Yep, agreed. This seems to be borne out by the video of the BRF at a family garden party ("Prince Charles and the Royal Family in The Garden Party" on youtube).

You can see Zara curtseying to the Queen and TQM, but coming up behind Charles to give him a hug. In the background behind HM and TQM, you can see people greeting each other with cheek kisses only,
Old 12-18-2017, 12:25 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Squirrel View Post
It don't think even officially. Think about it: an official engagement and Kate has to curtsy to HM, Phillip, Charles, Camilla, Anne, Beatrice and Eugine, Andrew? Sophie has to curtsy to the same plus William and Kate and Harry, William has to bow to all the same except himself, Kate and Harry, Harry has to bow to all the same except Kate, Edward has to bow to all except Sophie, Kate....it would take ages just to bow and curtsy to everyone before the event could even start! I have seen Sophie and Camilla, Beatrice, Eugine, Kate and Camilla all curtsying to The Queen (let's leave out the men bowing for now) so they all do. I would imagine too, that if Kate met Anne when none of the others were there she might curtsy to her. But when they are all together I'm sure they only make an obeisance to the Queen.
As it was said many, many times in this thread, members of the british royal family curtsy only to Queen and Duke of Edinburgh, not to each other.

Some people use the order of the precedence (that dictactes who's coming to the room first, who's sitting first) to determine who curtsy to who, but it's not being done this way. Try watching a few videos of royal gatherings: curtsy to Queen, Duke of Edinburgh and then kissing cheeks.
Old 12-20-2017, 12:23 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.Y.CII View Post
It seems the British has a different curtsey style? They usually places their right leg behind the left leg (like Sophie's), while the others just put their right leg backward (see Marie's).

It looks quite difficult to balance to me
Wow I didn't know this thread was here so I'm just catching up.

I was taught to curtsey and genuflect by my grandmother - I don't know why but she felt it was something I should know. I didn't know why I had to curtsey with my right knee (which is comfortable since I'm right handed) and genuflect with my left (which is uncomfortable for me). So I looked it up and this is what I found.

"As for genuflecting, generally people genuflected to royalty with the left knee and to God with the right leg.

People do not genuflect to royalty. Males bow, and females curtsey which is very different"
Old 12-20-2017, 09:15 AM
Aristocracy

Although it was not called genuflecting, in the Middle Ages men did often make a deeper obeisance to royalty, especially the king and queen. It was similar to a cursty but no holding out the skirts. It was literally going down on one knee and looking at the floor. But no crossing yourself like when genuflecting. Obviously we don't know all the ins and outs of when this was done and when one simply bowed. But to take one example, I imagine that if someone had an audience with the king and bent the knee on first meeting him, he would not then do it again when the king left but would simply bow.

We see traces of 'bending the knee' still to this day. When a man is knighted he does it, and when he proposes to his girlfriend that is what he is supposed to do. (You read 'he went down on his knees, but it is supposed to be one knee only, he's pleading not begging lol!)
Old 12-20-2017, 09:37 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Squirrel View Post
Although it was not called genuflecting, in the Middle Ages men did often make a deeper obeisance to royalty, especially the king and queen. It was similar to a cursty but no holding out the skirts. It was literally going down on one knee and looking at the floor. But no crossing yourself like when genuflecting. Obviously we don't know all the ins and outs of when this was done and when one simply bowed. But to take one example, I imagine that if someone had an audience with the king and bent the knee on first meeting him, he would not then do it again when the king left but would simply bow.

We see traces of 'bending the knee' still to this day. When a man is knighted he does it, and when he proposes to his girlfriend that is what he is supposed to do. (You read 'he went down on his knees, but it is supposed to be one knee only, he's pleading not begging lol!)
There are records from the early 1800s showing that in my parts of Southern Sweden the peasants went down on their knee when greeting a member of the nobility.
Old 12-21-2017, 12:20 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisele View Post
Wow I didn't know this thread was here so I'm just catching up.

I was taught to curtsey and genuflect by my grandmother - I don't know why but she felt it was something I should know. I didn't know why I had to curtsey with my right knee (which is comfortable since I'm right handed) and genuflect with my left (which is uncomfortable for me). So I looked it up and this is what I found.

"As for genuflecting, generally people genuflected to royalty with the left knee and to God with the right leg.

People do not genuflect to royalty. Males bow, and females curtsey which is very different"
Are you Catholic, Lisele? Here's what fisheaters.com has to say about genuflection:

Genuflection on Left Knee: How: Kneel on your left knee for a moment, bringing the left knee all the way to the floor and keeping the back straight. Hold for a moment, then stand. When: When greeting or leaving the Pope or other hierarchs with the rank of Bishop or above and who have jurisdiction over you (only when the Pope is not present) -- e.g., to the Bishop or Archbishop of your diocese, not of a neighboring diocese. During the left-knee genuflection, a kiss is given to the hierarch's ring. Then stand.

Genuflection on Right Knee: How:
Looking at what you are genuflecting toward, kneel on your right knee for a moment in the manner of a man proposing to a woman, bringing the right knee all the way to the floor, close to the heel of the left foot, keeping the back and neck erect. Hold for a moment, then stand. When:
  • Genuflect toward the Tabernacle where the Blessed Sacrament is reserved, and each time you pass in front of it (except when you're in procession, such as standing in line for Communion, or returning to your seat afterward). While this should, on one level, be a matter of habit, it shouldn't be done thoughtlessly. Remind yourself when genuflecting toward the Tabernacle that you are kneeling before God. Praying mentally, "My Lord and My God" is a good habit to get into while genuflecting on the right knee. If the Tabernacle is not on the Altar, genuflect toward the Altar and the Altar Crucifix.
  • Before a relic of the True Cross when it is exposed for public adoration.
  • On Good Friday to Holy Saturday, after the ceremony of the Adoration of the Cross, genuflect when passing in front of the exposed Crucifix on the Altar.
  • Before entering or after exiting your pew at church.

Old 12-21-2017, 12:22 PM
Courtier

I always genuflect on the right knee at Mass/Adoration etc but I don't think I could genuflect on the left without collapsing. My balance isn't that good!
Old 12-21-2017, 12:28 PM
Heir Apparent

LOl I had to stop and actually think about what I do when I genuflect. I realize that my knee that dips is the one opposite to the pew. In other words "Mary side" It's my left and "Joseph side" it's my right. I must do that so I can quickly move into the pew. (Must be a leftover from Catholic school when we were being quickly shepherded into Mass by our teachers.)
Old 12-21-2017, 12:32 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
LOl I had to stop and actually think about what I do when I genuflect. I realize that my knee that dips is the one opposite to the pew. In other words "Mary side" It's my left and "Joseph side" it's my right. I must do that so I can quickly move into the pew. (Must be a leftover from Catholic school when we were being quickly shepherded into Mass by our teachers.)
I stood up from my desk and practised to see what I do! And just as in church I have to grab something so I don't wobble or topple over.
Old 12-25-2017, 08:07 AM
Commoner

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-42477127

Miss Meghan curtsy The Queen
Old 12-25-2017, 09:16 AM
Heir Apparent

What's a Hollywood smile (and Meghan isn't from Hollywood) as distinct from an ordinary wide happy grin, which I see?
Old 12-25-2017, 09:39 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpede View Post
That will certainly be controversial for some Americans, but they should get used to it.
Old 12-25-2017, 09:46 AM
Courtier

I'm glad Meghan curtseyed before the queen. I thought we wouldn't see her first curtsy until her wedding day. If she didn't here the press would have dragged her for days. And with all the fuss about who curtseys to whom why didn't the blood princesses (Beatrice and Eugenie) do so? Also, does Meghan receive a bow or curtsy now? At the Nottingham event I saw a woman cursty to Meghan as she shook her hand.
Old 12-25-2017, 10:01 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
That will certainly be controversial for some Americans, but they should get used to it.
The few Americans I know who pay attention or care about the BRF aren't bothered by this.

Just the custom there...like in the Asian countries folks bow.

LaRae
Old 12-25-2017, 10:46 AM
Super Moderator

Please note that a few off-topic posts have been deleted. We have a separate thread available to discuss dentistry: Royals and Dentistry

« Letters To Royals | - »