The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-07-2017, 06:41 AM
Majesty

I'm still laughing at the notion of Beatrice, Eugenie and I guess Louise and James having to curtsey to their cousin Harry. William yes, after he becomes king.

Old 12-07-2017, 12:35 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
I'm still laughing at the notion of Beatrice, Eugenie and I guess Louise and James having to curtsey to their cousin Harry. William yes, after he becomes king.
Wouldn't Louise be a bit of a unique case in that she would have to curtsey to Harry in private by virtue of him being a Royal Highness and she being styled as the daughter of an Earl? I might be way off track with this one but I'm sure in the much shared clip on YouTube of the Royal Family gathering at Clarence House in the garden, Zara curtsied to the Prince of Wales?

Old 12-07-2017, 12:43 PM
Heir Apparent

I know the Queen changed the precedence for the women of the royal house when Camilla and Charles got married to blood royal princesses takes precedence in absence of the husband. However, I wonder if Charles will follow this or change it back to how it was before?
Old 12-07-2017, 04:10 PM
Heir Presumptive

TBH as Camilla, as his consort, would be above them all he may well keep it the same.
Old 12-07-2017, 04:20 PM
Super Moderator

Just as a reminder, we have the following thread to discuss the Order of Precedence:
Order of Precedence
Old 12-07-2017, 04:30 PM
Heir Apparent

In Norway there's been more normal than before for ordinary people to bow/curtsey to the King (due to his popularity).

Some politicians/diplomats does it as well, and here's a photo of Denmarks new ambassador to Norway Jarl Frijs-Madsen bowing to HM during the formal audience in September:
https://scanpix.no/spWebApp/preview/editorial/tc3a4ae6
Old 12-07-2017, 04:32 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaudete View Post
Wouldn't Louise be a bit of a unique case in that she would have to curtsey to Harry in private by virtue of him being a Royal Highness and she being styled as the daughter of an Earl? I might be way off track with this one but I'm sure in the much shared clip on YouTube of the Royal Family gathering at Clarence House in the garden, Zara curtsied to the Prince of Wales?

Nope, Zara just hugs her uncle while Charles is seated. The Queen, Philip and the Queen Mum are the only one that are bow/curtesy to in the video. Just watched it.
Old 12-07-2017, 04:33 PM
Courtier

My mistake. I should imagine if Zara doesn’t have to curtesy to the PoW then Lady Louise won’t either.
Old 12-07-2017, 04:44 PM
Heir Apparent

It’s simple Monarch, Consort and Dowager Consorts only for the family bow/curtesy. The pre Christmas BP lunch would never get eaten if everyone was bowing to everyone.
Old 12-16-2017, 09:26 AM
Aristocracy

Queen Anne-Marie of Greece curtseys (?) to the coffin of King Michael of Romania.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2017/...3426067411.jpg
Old 12-16-2017, 09:33 AM
Courtier

Watching the funeral service today, Queen Anne Marie curtsied to the coffin a couple of times. The other ladies simply bowed.
Old 12-16-2017, 11:46 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaudete View Post
Watching the funeral service today, Queen Anne Marie curtsied to the coffin a couple of times. The other ladies simply bowed.
I don't know if Anne-Maries upbringing has anything to do with her curtseying but that used to be standard at Scandinavian Royal funerals. At the funeral service of her grandfather Gustav VI Adolf of Sweden the ladies did deep curtsies all the way down to the floor.
Old 12-17-2017, 06:40 AM
Majesty

With the reburied of one of the Danish born Russian royals in St Petersburg I think, the DRF accompanied the coffin. Queen Margaret bowed her head at the coffin. CP Mary dropped a full court curtsey.
Old 12-17-2017, 06:55 AM
Heir Presumptive

I'm sure we saw Queen Margrethe curtsey to the coffin of Sweden's Princess Lillian.
Old 12-17-2017, 07:40 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
I'm sure we saw Queen Margrethe curtsey to the coffin of Sweden's Princess Lillian.
Queen Margrethe also curtsied to the coffins of Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother and Queen Fabiola (you can see it on YouTube). I assume it is a Danish tradition.
Old 12-17-2017, 04:59 PM
Heir Apparent

Princess Margaret of Great Britain curtsied to King Feisal.
Old 12-17-2017, 07:40 PM
Aristocracy

I certainly don't think any of them bow and curtsey except to the Queen. It would get ridiculous all queuing up in order to bow and curtsey to each other. And I think it's really silly to say Meghan is the only one who doesn't HAVE to curtsey to the Queen. Nobody HAS to. It's not like they'd get locked in the Tower if they didn't. They'd just be considered rude, as would Meghan, so she's really no different to, say Kate or Sophie. I think some Americans just want to feel superior about it.
Old 12-17-2017, 07:51 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I agree with you, Princess Squirrel. As an American myself, I would most certainly do the best curtsy that I could possibly do without ending up eating the floor out of pure respect for the Queen. Not because its protocol or not protocol for an American to do so but out of my own personal admiration and respect for this marvelous woman.
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 12-17-2017, 07:58 PM
Royal Highness

They all curtsy to the Queen. I suspect for everyone else they only really do it with each other officially and not when they just chilling out of the view of the public.
Old 12-17-2017, 08:44 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
They all curtsy to the Queen. I suspect for everyone else they only really do it with each other officially and not when they just chilling out of the view of the public.
It don't think even officially. Think about it: an official engagement and Kate has to curtsy to HM, Phillip, Charles, Camilla, Anne, Beatrice and Eugine, Andrew? Sophie has to curtsy to the same plus William and Kate and Harry, William has to bow to all the same except himself, Kate and Harry, Harry has to bow to all the same except Kate, Edward has to bow to all except Sophie, Kate....it would take ages just to bow and curtsy to everyone before the event could even start! I have seen Sophie and Camilla, Beatrice, Eugine, Kate and Camilla all curtsying to The Queen (let's leave out the men bowing for now) so they all do. I would imagine too, that if Kate met Anne when none of the others were there she might curtsy to her. But when they are all together I'm sure they only make an obeisance to the Queen.

Now if any of us 'commoners' met a royal, we could (if we wanted) bow or curtsy to them. But I don't think the royals themselves go to functions making mental calculations on the order of curtseying.

(I personally don't actually know if I'd curtsy or not. It's something I would have to think about. Perhaps if I was hoping to get the royal person to back my charity/campaign it would be wisest to, lol.)