Bowing and Curtseying

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When I was a kid I thought only commoners bowed and curtsied to royals; I didn’t think royals bowed and curtsied at all.
Princes and princesses usually curtsy/bow to kings and queens, imcluding kings/queens of other countries. Princes/princesses nowadays do not normally curtsy/bow to each other though,

Princes and princesses usually curtsy/bow to kings and queens, imcluding kings/queens of other countries. Princes/princesses nowadays do not normally curtsy/bow to each other though,
It depends a bit on the country. In the Netherlands the other members of the royal family do not curtsy to Willem-Alexander and Máxima. They might curtsy to majesties of other royal families but it is not a tradition in the Netherlands itself. Members of the public aren't expected to curtsy either. Some (men and women) might nod their head but that's about it.

It depends a bit on the country. In the Netherlands the other members of the royal family do not curtsy to Willem-Alexander and Máxima. They might curtsy to majesties of other royal families but it is not a tradition in the Netherlands itself. Members of the public aren't expected to curtsy either. Some (men and women) might nod their head but that's about it.
Yes, I find it interesting how princes and princesses for example in Belgium, the Netherlands, and Sweden do not normally curtsy/bow to their own kings/queens, but curtsy/bow to foreign kings and queens.

In fact, British and Danish princes/princesses are the only ones among the European reigning families who consistently bow/curtsy to their own king or queen. Members of the Spanish royal family also used to bow/curtsy to the king and queen during King Juan Carlos I's reign, but that seems to have changed under King Felipe VI.

Yes, I find it interesting how princes and princesses for example in Belgium, the Netherlands, and Sweden do not normally curtsy/bow to their own kings/queens, but curtsy/bow to foreign kings and queens.

In fact, British and Danish princes/princesses are the only ones among the European reigning families who consistently bow/curtsy to their own king or queen. Members of the Spanish royal family also used to bow/curtsy to the king and queen during King Juan Carlos I's reign, but that seems to have changed under King Felipe VI.
In Spain, members of the royal family still make bow/curtsy to the King and Queen.

Last edited:
When I was a kid I thought only commoners bowed and curtsied to royals; I didn’t think royals bowed and curtsied at all.
Only depending on rank ,Prince/Princess to a King or Queen/Emperor/Empress.

Members of the Spanish Royal Family all curtsy/bow ,you only have to look at the footage from the Memorial Mass of the kings late cousin.
The Greek RF also curtsy/bow

I think the monarchies that maintain the bowing and curtseying tradition the most are the United Kingdom, Denmark and Spain.

During the Belgian State Visit to Denmark no one of our politics bows to the Queen.
Bowing and cutseying are not a tradition anymore un our Country.
For a Royal Mass at the Cathedral , we are standing for the arrival of the Royals. thats all.
During the Funerals of Queen Fabiola , there was a sreen and for some Royals people were standing for others not.

During the Belgian State Visit to Denmark no one of our politics bows to the Queen.
Bowing and cutseying are not a tradition anymore un our Country.
For a Royal Mass at the Cathedral , we are standing for the arrival of the Royals. thats all.
During the Funerals of Queen Fabiola , there was a sreen and for some Royals people were standing for others not.
Sadly the Belgian RF has done away with a lot of Monarchical traditions and customs.

What is new is that Queen Mathilde is Majesté. Before they said Sire, Madame , Sire, Mevrouw.

King Carl Gustav abolished the court curtsey when he ascended the throne in 1973. The reason was that he felt embarrassed about ladies older than himself curtseying to him. Many people, among others members of the court, do still greet the King and Queen with a short bob although it's use among the general public is decreasing depending on what generation you belong to.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom