The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-16-2017, 10:30 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
This is a thread about royal protocol, specifically bowing and curtseying. How is it that we are arguing as to whether particular Princes, Princesses, or Queens are deserving of said practice by virtue of their birth?
I think the conversation applies. It's about shifting protocols.

In this I have to agree with the gist of @Duc_et_Pair 's points. The bow and curtsey have a history. It does make sense that the custom applies to those born into that history (when conducting official functions out of that history).

For those not so born, it is not just vaguely, but overtly, strange, to have done to one. It 'makes sense' in other contexts where the action is done to the office held, like with the Pope. Still, it remains a medieval custom, and few moderns would find it comfortable. JMO.

Old 10-12-2017, 12:58 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

https://www.facebook.com/detdanskeko...1622644176321/

Mary forgetting to curtsy to the Emperor of Japan while Frederik is bowing all over the place.

Old 10-12-2017, 02:22 AM
Majesty

I don't know what the context was but even Fred looked funny when he stepped up to shake hands and bow to the Emperor. It looked like he was waiting for a cue and then positively bounced up to take his hand.

Mary showed that even after all this time when the tension and expectations are high, you can still blow it. I think she probably had it all set in her mind and he broke her concentration when he spoke to her. She recovered beautifully when she shook hands, curtseyed and did the double peck to the Empress.

Actually, I think that was a true royal culture crash and I use that word advisedly. Royals generally follow the handshake, bow/curtsey and double peck but when you come to Japan their customary greeting is to bow which is why I think Fred too had the same mindset as Mary but hey, when he correctly bowed European style and shook hands, he got a pass and to be honest, he looked like he was saying "Yeeees!!!!" to himself when he pulled that off.
Old 10-12-2017, 02:30 AM
Majesty

They both seemed to let their nerves get to them. Her not bowing, him bowing repeatedly both were a bit odd at best. I'd think a born royal like Fred, who has been doing this for decades, would be a tad less nervous.
Old 10-12-2017, 02:52 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post
I think the conversation applies. It's about shifting protocols.

In this I have to agree with the gist of @Duc_et_Pair 's points. The bow and curtsey have a history. It does make sense that the custom applies to those born into that history (when conducting official functions out of that history).

For those not so born, it is not just vaguely, but overtly, strange, to have done to one. It 'makes sense' in other contexts where the action is done to the office held, like with the Pope. Still, it remains a medieval custom, and few moderns would find it comfortable. JMO.
The Queen mother was not royal until her marriage when she became HRH The Duchess of York, so to Diana when she became HRH The Princess of Wales. That they came from aristocratic families is irrelevant. The same applies to HRH Queen Silvia, HRH Queen Sonja, HRH Queen Mathilde, HRH Queen Maxima, HRH Queen Letizia, HRH GD Maria Teresa, HRH CP Mary, HRH CP Mette Marit, HRH Prince Daniel, HRH HGD Stephanie, et al.

There would be times when a bow or curtsey is the only polite action to take and there is no way civility would encourage anyone to decide whether the recipient was deserving of that mark of respect to their position. It has been said that true majesty isn’t determined by one’s background, but by one’s character.
Old 10-18-2017, 12:06 PM
Heir Apparent

Baroness Brady of Knightsbridge curtseys to The Duke of Cambridge at today’s Coach Core engagement

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DMbpFUjX...jpg&name=large
Old 10-18-2017, 12:08 PM
Heir Apparent

Totally off topic...I want her plum coat!
Old 10-18-2017, 12:10 PM
Majesty

That's the FIRST thing I thought when I clicked on the photo too!

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 10-18-2017, 12:39 PM
Courtier

In my opinion, curtsies should only be performed when wearing skirts or dresses.

Sent from my iPod touch using The Royals Community
Old 10-18-2017, 01:07 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
That's the FIRST thing I thought when I clicked on the photo too!
Great minds think alike and I'm so glad that we have our priorities straight!!! MUST FIND COAT!!!
Old 10-18-2017, 01:39 PM
Commoner

I have a question and sorry if it has been discussed or answered earlier in this forum.

A very deep curtsy with the hand held by the person being curtsyed to. Such as the Princess Royal did recently to Queen Letizia.

Is this special type of curtsy? All the pictures I can find show it being done by female royals of one nation to the monarch or spouse of monarch of another nation.

It is not the usual quick bob we see UK citizens doing to their own royalty or BRF members doing to HM.
Old 10-18-2017, 01:43 PM
Heir Apparent

AFAIK it is merely based upon the customs of a particular court. I've observed curtsy that you've described being performed by the royal ladies in Spain and Denmark. The British royals tend to perform a bob. Other royal houses ie: the Netherlands no longer perform them at home, but I've seen it done when they're abroad.

I hope this helps.