The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-12-2016, 09:47 AM
Heir Apparent

You can see The Duchess of Cambridge curtsy to the the King in this clip

Old 10-12-2016, 10:09 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I think a lot of times in discussing various events and who curtsied to whom and who bowed to whom gets confusing because there is a mixture of protocol of what is expected and just plain old courtesy and respect.

Although its a dwindling practice, there are still times a man opens a car door for a woman (my hubby still does this) and pulls out a chair to seat a woman and there's always families that have "Dad" at the head of the table.

Then again, it might also be a truism that comes from the Duke of Edinburgh who smartly quipped "When a man opens a car door for his wife, it's either a new car or a new wife." (On a side note though, hubby and I have been married 19 years this month and own a older, very used vehicle but then again, we're practically dinosaurs from an age past.)

“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 10-12-2016, 10:44 AM
Majesty

[the Duke of Edinburgh who smartly quipped "When a man opens a car door for his wife, it's either a new car or a new wife]

Brilliant!!!
Old 10-13-2016, 01:57 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I think a lot of times in discussing various events and who curtsied to whom and who bowed to whom gets confusing because there is a mixture of protocol of what is expected and just plain old courtesy and respect.

Although its a dwindling practice, there are still times a man opens a car door for a woman (my hubby still does this) and pulls out a chair to seat a woman and there's always families that have "Dad" at the head of the table.

Then again, it might also be a truism that comes from the Duke of Edinburgh who smartly quipped "When a man opens a car door for his wife, it's either a new car or a new wife." (On a side note though, hubby and I have been married 19 years this month and own a older, very used vehicle but then again, we're practically dinosaurs from an age past.)
When my dad and I were in Los Angeles on vacation, when the valet brought up our rental car from the hotel garage, he always opened the passenger door for me. Also, I read somewhere that at the dinner table, the eldest daughter sits to the right of her father, and the mother sits to the right of the eldest son.
Old 10-13-2016, 02:04 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
That's one I'd never heard before Sarah and thanks for relating that. One thing that does really make me smile though and usually it is a very, very rare occasion is when I see a woman open a door for the man (regardless of if his arms are laden with her shopping packages or not). Its a matter of people respecting and acknowledging other people which, to me, is fast becoming a lost art.

We now return you to the world of royal bowing and curtsying.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 10-13-2016, 04:42 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
You can see The Duchess of Cambridge curtsy to the the King in this clip

Good to see Kate doing a good old simple curtsey. This was how all the current queen regnants and their seniors used to do in 40s- 50s. The deeeep curtsies by Diana, continued by the new wave of continental CPsses, were never my favourite.
Old 10-13-2016, 11:43 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkrish View Post
Good to see Kate doing a good old simple curtsey. This was how all the current queen regnants and their seniors used to do in 40s- 50s. The deeeep curtsies by Diana, continued by the new wave of continental CPsses, were never my favourite.

I can never understand why Diana went right down on her knee whenever she curtsied.

Sent from my iPod touch using The Royals Community
Old 10-14-2016, 12:44 AM
Heir Apparent

Maybe cause she was so tall? Or just her own touch?

LaRae
Old 10-15-2016, 02:48 AM
Courtier

CP Naruhito bows to King Philippe at the welcoming ceremony and the return event
http://www.sankei.com/images/news/16...150026-p24.jpg
Belga Image - Editorial ID: 97018087

CP Masako curtseys to Queen Mathilde
614294934 Stock Photos and Pictures | Getty Images

Princess Nobuko mid-curtsey to King Philippe
Belga Image - Editorial ID: 97018712

Princess Mako deep curtseys to Queen Mathilde
http://livedoor.blogimg.jp/remmikki/...3b81bd5b-s.jpg
Better photo at 614294880 Stock Photos and Pictures | Getty Images
Old 10-15-2016, 11:44 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahedwards2 View Post
I can never understand why Diana went right down on her knee whenever she curtsied.
For some reason I seem to remember all the Spanish royals preferred the deep curtsy even back in the early 50s. Maybe Diana liked and just preferred the look.
Old 10-15-2016, 04:43 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
For some reason I seem to remember all the Spanish royals preferred the deep curtsy even back in the early 50s. Maybe Diana liked and just preferred the look.
The Danish also have very deep curtseys.
Old 10-15-2016, 05:25 PM
Imperial Majesty

Diana was a talk and very athletic woman. Her deep curtsies was just her style of doing things. Some people bob up and down, and some people dip rather low. It's all down to ones personal style and preference.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 10-16-2016, 03:48 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLV View Post
The Danish also have very deep curtseys.
That is now.. Just as I said, that Mary/Marie generation. There is a video of QE II's first State Visit in 1957. Then Princess Margrethe makes a quick Bob.. Nothing deep. Even today Benedikte does the same. Will post the video after sometime. That's why I said in 50s and 60s curtsies were much simpler. I didn't see Spanish curtsies of that period, though..
Old 10-16-2016, 04:06 PM
Gentry

Did Elizabeth II ever curtsey to late King Bhumibol since wasn't he higher in precedence than her.
Old 10-16-2016, 04:07 PM
Courtier

Another feature of new gen curtsies is they cling so tight to that person and then plunge downwards. Looks like they are hanging from them or holding them from falling down.
In olden days also they used to kiss, but retract a little backwards and do curtsey.
I wish I had the knowledge and time for video editing I would do a huge compilation and comparision of all kinds of curtsies. I am so fascinated with those bits.
Anyway, as Dman said, in the end, each curtsey has its own beauty to appreciate..
Old 10-16-2016, 04:13 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalHighness 2002 View Post
Did Elizabeth II ever curtsey to late King Bhumibol since wasn't he higher in precedence than her.
Monarchs don't curtsey each other. The higher precedence is due to longer reign and that is shown in order of mentioning, seating, arrival etc. but no bows or curtsies. Maybe if she met him before her ascension then she must have curtsied. But I don't think they met at least officially
Old 10-16-2016, 05:50 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalHighness 2002 View Post

As far as I know they didn´t met when she was still Princess, so there was never a situation in which she would have to curtsey to him.
Old 10-16-2016, 06:07 PM
Serene Highness

Beautiful curtseys, I find, to the King and Queen of Bhutan, yesterday leaving for Thailand with the little Crown Prince:
Old 10-16-2016, 06:13 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prisma View Post
... [snipped]
Princess Mako deep curtseys to Queen Mathilde
http://livedoor.blogimg.jp/remmikki/...3b81bd5b-s.jpg
Better photo at 614294880 Stock Photos and Pictures | Getty Images
Japanese Princesses execute the most perfect curtsies. On a different note, Princess Mako and Princess Kako looked lovely in kimonos.
Old 10-18-2016, 04:14 PM
Heir Apparent

PM May curtsey to The Queen

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/...6812536666.jpg