The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-14-2016, 05:22 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
We should devote as much time and space to commenting on the current Prime Minister's clothes as was devoted to the clothes worn by Mr Cameron, Mr Brown, Mr Blair, Mr Major, Mr Callaghan, Mr Wilson, Mr Heath, etc.

OTOH, part of me wants to suggest a thread for discussing the fashion and style of style of politicians because Boris Johnson and Jeremy Corbyn alone could provide us with hours of entertainment.
Well you just need younger, more good looking PM's. Justin Trudeau certainly gets plenty of blog time on his appearance and dress

But one would hope, as politicians actually earned their spot, and not bon or married in, there is perhaps something with more depth to discus then the pattern of her shoes.

Old 07-14-2016, 07:54 PM
Heir Presumptive

Outdated and unnecessary act. Ms. May is far more4 important to the government.

Old 07-14-2016, 08:08 PM
Heir Presumptive

Really has nothing to do with being outdated. It's not required at all. So it's up to the person to curtesy/bow or not.

LaRae
Old 07-14-2016, 08:29 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS View Post
She didn't have to do it.

And when it comes to being important or not: Theresa May is the head of the Her Majesty's government.

The Queen is the head of state of the UK, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and 12 other countries and is the figurehead of 2 billion people, and an international icon. She have also reigned for 64 years and is 90.

I liked that the new PM curtseyed and both Cameron, Brown, Blair and Major alvais bowed to her.

And COUNTESS, even if you don't like constitutional monarchies, you can try to respect those who support it.
Old 07-14-2016, 09:22 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS View Post
I agree, but only because I believe that women should only give the brief head bow that men give. To me a curtsey is a far more subservient act and I see no reason why women should show their respect in a different manner from that which is deemed acceptable for men. I would think it very strange if a conservative UK prime minister did not at least give that head bow to their monarch - especially this monarch - even today.
Old 07-14-2016, 10:34 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Yet there are members of the royal family who curtsey low, Zara does, and they surely know what is proper. And I would think Thatcher would have been well instructed on how to act.

Yes, deep curtsey is not expected, a curtsey at all is not required now a days (traditional would be to be lower than the eyes, but traditions change). It is not a social faux paux, or showing a lack of understanding, to curtsey low. Simply old-fashioned.
well I've never Seen Zara curtsying but I have seen Diana do it briefly and it was a "short bob"... Possibly at a big formal occasion, like a royal wedding, it is meant ot be a deep one.. I seem to remember Anne going "very low" at her wedding.. but in "ordinary meetings" it should I believe be a short bob.

As for Mrs T, she was in some ways very respectful of the monarchy, the "deep curtsy" but in other ways she wasn't. So she may have been a bit overawed by being in the queen's presence and curtsied low, but she did rather put herself on a footing with the queen in many other ways, and acted like She was "the big cheese" rather than HM.
Old 07-14-2016, 11:20 PM
Heir Presumptive

There's a number of pics of Zara curtseying. Diana tended to have deep curtesy's.

LaRae
Old 07-14-2016, 11:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

Members, not at a wedding, curtseying low. One could argue meeting the queen as her new PM for the first time is far from an 'ordinary meeting.' And again nothing incorrect and uknowledgable, simply not very customary now a days.

Zara
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/82753711881948960/

Autum curtseying
So that's why they call it a curtsey car: Autumn Phillips kneels to the majestic driver of the Royal Range Rover - before making merry with her gorgeous girls | Daily Mail Online
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/475974254341532181/

Fergie
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/82753711881967545/

Sophie
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/433260426629251480/
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/151222499966150509/

Kate has done the odd low
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/404620347754396655/

Diana was a vey graceful one
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/450993350161902513/
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/309341068130353052/
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/522558362987217733/

Anne
Anne & Queen Sonja Photo by WKirkwood | Photobucket

Camilla
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/383017143292026358/

Cute one of little Eugene and Great-grandma
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/483433341224520830/

Both Yorks
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/520165825688239343/
Days Of Majesty: Royal curtsy
http://media2.onsugar.com/files/2014...urtsy-Whom.jpg

Mike has even done it
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/532832199640894409/
Old 07-14-2016, 11:37 PM
Heir Presumptive

I think all the ballet help make Diana's so graceful.

LaRae
Old 07-15-2016, 12:04 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
I agree, but only because I believe that women should only give the brief head bow that men give. To me a curtsey is a far more subservient act and I see no reason why women should show their respect in a different manner from that which is deemed acceptable for men. I would think it very strange if a conservative UK prime minister did not at least give that head bow to their monarch - especially this monarch - even today.

I'm not sure if I agree here. Just because there is a sex-based difference doesn't automatically mean that it's due to sexism.

Bowing was originally meant to be rather low. The torso bent, the head dropped, one leg was drawn back, an arm bent over the abdomen, the other extending out. The curtsey is actually a rather logical adaptation of the bow to accommodate skirts.

Men's bows evolved as relations between the upper/lower classes changed. Women's curtseys evolved differently to accommodate hooped skirts.

Personally, I'm not a fan of curtseys - not because they're somehow sexist (which i don't agree with), but because I don't think they work with modern fashion. Curtseys are designed for big, floor length, hoop skirts, not the shorter, tighter skirts more typically worn today.
Old 07-18-2016, 08:50 PM

Hi! Apologies if this has already been addressed upthread (I'm still making my way through), but I saw a possibly sketchy article about the Duchess of Cambridge having to curtsy to princesses of the blood when the Duke of Cambridge isn't around. However, I've only ever seen her curtsy to the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh.

I understand royal precedence academically, and I saw the example upthread of a Crown Princess consort curtsying to a Crown princess of the blood, but as a matter of practicality, I'm not sure I've ever seen two British royals at the "RH" level bow or curtsy to each other (other than the aforementioned exception for Philip). Are there any examples of this that I've missed?
Old 07-18-2016, 08:56 PM
Heir Presumptive

HRH don't bow to each other. Kate has never bowed to her FIL and his wife, she certainly wouldn't bow to Beatrice. You bow out of respect to someone of a higher rank. That would be the queen or foreign sovereigns.

In private, when she is alone with the other woman, she is lower in precedence. But she wouldn't bow.
Old 08-13-2016, 12:25 AM
Gentry

Fijian rugby players kneel for Princess Anne as she awards gold medal at Rio Olympics | Daily Mail Online
Old 08-13-2016, 12:59 AM
Heir Presumptive

Charming and rather lovely.
Old 08-13-2016, 01:02 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I think so too. Quite different yet very meaningful to show respect for a person in the manner that they did.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 08-15-2016, 09:48 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieLouise View Post
I don't know if I've ever seen an American President bow to a monarch... if they do, does anyone have any pictures of this? :)
Yes Obama did bow to an Arab monarch. A very deep bow. He received lots of criticism as he didn't bow to HM Queen Elizabeth but did bow to an Arab ruler!
Old 08-15-2016, 09:49 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
HRH don't bow to each other. Kate has never bowed to her FIL and his wife, she certainly wouldn't bow to Beatrice. You bow out of respect to someone of a higher rank. That would be the queen or foreign sovereigns.

In private, when she is alone with the other woman, she is lower in precedence. But she wouldn't bow.
There are times when she has to bow to 'blood royals' like Eugenie or Beatrice but not when she is with William, as 'Princess William' she outranks the blood princesses but not when alone! 😀
Old 08-15-2016, 09:54 AM
Majesty

President Obama bowed low to the Emperor of Japan and received lots of criticism as well.

It wasn't just to an "Arab ruler" that he got it wrong.

I think the guy is/was just confused about protocol, same as his predecessors Bush and Reagan, the latter who famously referred to Diana Princess of Wales as "Princess David" or something during his toast at a State dinner.

And Nancy Reagan boasted to the media about how she did not curtsey to the Queen and would never do it, but the wife of then- Ambassador Annenberg did it and was roundly criticized.

These people cannot win.
Old 08-15-2016, 10:08 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
President Obama bowed low to the Emperor of Japan and received lots of criticism as well.

It wasn't just to an "Arab ruler" that he got it wrong.

I think the guy is/was just confused about protocol, same as his predecessors Bush and Reagan, the latter who famously referred to Diana Princess of Wales as "Princess David" or something during his toast at a State dinner.

And Nancy Reagan boasted to the media about how she did not curtsey to the Queen and would never do it, but the wife of then- Ambassador Annenberg did it and was roundly criticized.

These people cannot win.
He's not confused to protocol. The President do not bow, but show respect by nodding to people. The Queen does this too when meeting people.

Don't forget, Mrs. Kennedy and her daughter curtseyed to The Queen. It's about how one goes about showing respect to people.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 08-15-2016, 10:44 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
He's not confused to protocol. The President do not bow, but show respect by nodding to people. The Queen does this too when meeting people.

Don't forget, Mrs. Kennedy and her daughter curtseyed to The Queen. It's about how one goes about showing respect to people.
To me, I think this "the President does not bow" thing is very generational. My father was very strongly of the opinion that we Americans do not bow to others, now do we dip our flag. I know he had some long winded historical reason for this, which I do not remember.
I've always thought politeness and common sense should prevail. I understood the use of the embrace or snub in diplomatic circumstances.
And I find young Americans find face to face diplomatic nuance silly, though they understand the very delicate rules on online dissing and liking.