The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-16-2015, 06:33 PM
Heir Apparent

Mike Tindall at Royal Ascot: http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/...4464850797.jpg
Now that is a lovely, deep curtsey. I really like Mike's sense of humor.

Old 06-16-2015, 07:23 PM
Imperial Majesty

That reminded me of the story of Philip at Balmoral when he was wearing a kilt and he curtseyed to King George VI who, reportedly, was NOT amused.

Old 06-16-2015, 08:37 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post
Mathilde arriving to the Chapel at the wedding on Saturday.
http://imageupper.com/s02/1/9/B1434464080119385_3.jpg
They have spent all this time "waiting" together and now Mathilda is a Queen I think she finds it a little embarrassing and amusing to have her "contemporaries" bow and curtsey to her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
Mike Tindall at Royal Ascot: http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/...4464850797.jpg
Hmm, I see Zara has taught him well!
Old 06-17-2015, 12:11 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
That reminded me of the story of Philip at Balmoral when he was wearing a kilt and he curtseyed to King George VI who, reportedly, was NOT amused.

Why not?

Sent from my iPod touch using The Royals Community
Old 06-17-2015, 12:26 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post
Mathilde arriving to the Chapel at the wedding on Saturday.
http://imageupper.com/s02/1/9/B1434464080119385_3.jpg
Mathilde was born to be Queen, so beautiful and so very regal. I am beginning to forget that not that long ago she was Duchess of Brabant.

I agree that she and her good friends MM, Haakon, Mary and Fred might find it amusing to curtsey to her. They hung out for years as equals.
Old 06-17-2015, 12:40 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
They have spent all this time "waiting" together and now Mathilda is a Queen I think she finds it a little embarrassing and amusing to have her "contemporaries" bow and curtsey to her.

Hmm, I see Zara has taught him well!
Mathilde does look like she's trying to control her facial expressions.
Old 06-17-2015, 01:36 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahedwards2 View Post
Why not?

Sent from my iPod touch using The Royals Community

George VI thought it was insulting for a man to curtsey rather than bow - both insulting to him as the sovereign and to the Scots people whose traditional dress Philip was wearing - basically saying that Scotsmen were women.
Old 06-17-2015, 02:03 AM
Heir Apparent

Ah, yes! Of course. Since the gravest insult a man can level at another man is to imply that he is a woman! *rolls eyes and curses a lot*
Old 06-17-2015, 05:42 AM
Heir Apparent

OK, let's just make that to a Scotsman! A kilt isna a dress de ye ken . . . I'm off to toss the Caber now.
Old 06-17-2015, 10:43 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
Ah, yes! Of course. Since the gravest insult a man can level at another man is to imply that he is a woman! *rolls eyes and curses a lot*
That was 70 years ago. I think that the King's mentality is totally understandable.

I'm not talking about kilts, but a man in a dress still is a strange, if not ridiculous, sight, at least for me.
Old 06-17-2015, 05:16 PM
Aristocracy

Technically, isn't Mr Tindall genuflecting (right knee to the ground)? I used to be an altar server, but I can't genuflect because of two old injuries to my right foot, so I curtsey instead. I didn't think anyone would ever notice, but after mass one morning a priest asked me why I curtsied to the Blessed Sacrament as if I was meeting the Queen. I explained the situation, but he did not seem convinced, so I offered to genuflect if he insisted, but he was not to be surprised if I toppled over with a loud crash, or couldn't get up. He actually thought it was quite funny, and said he was just teasing.
Old 06-19-2015, 11:38 AM
Gentry

Sarah, Duchess of York curtseys to the Queen today.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/...4723471435.jpg
Old 06-19-2015, 12:42 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
It does not find it funny in public. He gives the impression of being ironic of the tradition.
Old 06-19-2015, 12:55 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
does not find it funny in public.
He is a Rugby man, for Gods sake ! They have a notoriously 'offbeat', and eccentric sense of humour.

If [and when] HMQ finds his behaviour disrespectful, she will fix him with her famous withering, gimlet stare, and he will shrivel up, and KNOW it. Doubtless his wife will let him have it 'both barrels' too !
Old 06-19-2015, 03:11 PM
Heir Apparent

Ha! I am sure HM dind't mind and she certainly has seen "mockering" bows and curtsies in her life, and this is not...
Old 06-19-2015, 03:12 PM
Heir Presumptive

I thought it was rather charming myself....

LaRae
Old 06-19-2015, 03:26 PM
Imperial Majesty

I think people forget that The Queen has a sense of humor. Perhaps that's because she is seen looking so serious a lot, but she is known to make fun of peoples curtsies as well. Mike was just joking around and the royals love joking about. They're not as stiff, formal and with their noses in the air as you might imagine.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 06-19-2015, 03:57 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I think people forget that The Queen has a sense of humor. Perhaps that's because she is seen looking so serious a lot, but she is known to make fun of peoples curtsies as well. Mike was just joking around and the royals love joking about. They're not as stiff, formal and with their noses in the air as you might imagine.
I agree. He probably was coming after a row of curtsies and did one for fun himslef before doing a real bow, is my guess. Just like my dad coming to a parents/teacher thing and everyone said "Hi I'm ** and I'm **s mother" and my dad jokingly said "Hi I'm ** and I'm **s mother" xD Just something fun.
Old 07-06-2015, 12:57 AM
Imperial Majesty

Carole Middleton & Pippa Middleton curtsying to The Queen & Duke of Edinburgh:
Kate sorting out George’s hair ♥ And Carole... - To Dance with Kings

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 07-10-2015, 04:20 PM
Heir Apparent

At the Swedish wedding
The Crown Prince Couples of Denmark and Norway bowing and curtsying to Queen Mathilde
I see great friendships between the 5
http://frederiketmary.f.r.pic.center...12306193_n.jpg