The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-15-2015, 08:19 AM
Heir Apparent

Didn't the Queen play with them too and do Granny things with them but they still bow when the first greet her.

Do you think the Pope's family still calls him by his real first name or Holy Father?

It's all about showing respect to the person in the position.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Old 05-15-2015, 08:24 AM
Heir Apparent

I don't think it will be a bid deal honestly... William and Harry, and others usually bow and kiss the Queen on the cheek, and this happens mainly in public display...

Old 05-15-2015, 10:17 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
How do you know? Did you ask him?

You're right, we don't know for certain that Charles won't change things. He might hate the bowing and curtseying and do away with it. There are certainly some traditions that he'll change during his reign, and this could be one of them.

However, I say again that I don't think he will. While there are many ways in which Charles isn't traditional, there are also many ways in which Charles does fill that traditional role. We see him act like the "proper" prince in this regard, always showing deference to those "above" him. There are even the allegations that he has made people in his personal life - including Diana before his marriage and his stepchildren now - call him "sir." Personally, I think this might be a part of royal life that Charles likes and I can see this continuing during his reign.

Whether it will continue during William's is another matter altogether. While Charles has always seemed to accept, if not enjoy, this part of royal life - he is almost always seen showing proper deference to those "above" him and seems to expect it from those "below" him, so to speak - William is another matter. Yes, he bows to his grandparents, but he doesn't always do so to other monarchs or Crown Princes. He is rumoured to ask people to not refer to him as "sir", and doesn't seem to enjoy the confines of royal life in that regards. With that in mind, I think we could see William do away with bowing to the monarch, but I don't think Charles will.
Old 05-15-2015, 10:19 AM
Heir Apparent

Bowing and Curtseying

I think that even now both they bow to the PC of Wales and the PC of Wales bows to the Queen despite that she is his mother. Where is the problem? It is a sign of respect and It is a use to be respected. Full stop.
Old 05-15-2015, 10:27 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty91charmed View Post
I don't think it will be a bid deal honestly... William and Harry, and others usually bow and kiss the Queen on the cheek, and this happens mainly in public display...
I agree. I don't see anything wrong. It shows reverence and respect as well as affection.
Old 05-15-2015, 10:49 AM
Heir Apparent

Its a sign of respect. Charles won't be able to command people to bow to him anymore than the Queen can. People curtsey to the Queen to show their respects. Whether this continues during Charles reign is anyone guess.

I'll be more interested to see who curtsies to Camilla.
Old 05-15-2015, 12:41 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I think it all depends on if they have their public "game faces" on. If the family is in a private situation that the public doesn't ever see, it may be the norm that full, proper protocol is done away with although we know that the Christmas dinner at Sandringham is very formal and very proper with white tie dress and the family arriving in the dining room by precedence. In public, they are very much the representatives of the Queen and Crown and show that respect. One of my favorite examples of this is when William greeted his grandmother at RAF Valley around the time of his wedding. *Very* formal bow and then kisses on the cheek. (The bow will be the 3rd picture in the slide show).

Queen visits Prince William at RAF base - Photo 3 - Pictures - CBS News

As far as Charles being a proper prince and being called "sir", there is a pretty good interview with Tom Parker-Bowles in his thread under The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall. He remembers he and his sister always called him "Sir" but as time passed, it became more an endearing title of familiarity such as "Uncle" or such.

The British Royal Family is the epitome of keeping alive the pomp and pageantry and protocol of all things pertaining to the UK. Some traditions are ages old and the BRF have made keeping them alive into a fine art.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 05-15-2015, 03:38 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
I agree. I don't see anything wrong. It shows reverence and respect as well as affection.
It doesn't change their feelings, does that?
Old 05-16-2015, 08:55 AM
Gentry

The Countess of Wessex curtsied to the Queen yesterday.

The Royal Windsor Horse Show - Pictures - Zimbio
Old 05-16-2015, 08:58 AM
Heir Apparent

Family or not is the Protocoll to curtsied the monarch.
Old 05-17-2015, 02:28 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
Its a sign of respect. Charles won't be able to command people to bow to him anymore than the Queen can. People curtsey to the Queen to show their respects. Whether this continues during Charles reign is anyone guess.
It looks as though the newly elected Prime Minister presents a courteous neck bow to the PofW when meeting for the VE Day Parade.

I think he might get a lot of letters from veterans if he didn't??!!??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	a chas cameron.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	294932  
Old 05-17-2015, 03:16 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darnius View Post
The Countess of Wessex curtsied to the Queen yesterday.

The Royal Windsor Horse Show - Pictures - Zimbio

The Queen looks warm. What a fantastic thing warmth is. I know how that is, struggling to stay warm, in the winter. I am a little thing and it's hard to do, lol, you'll catch me shivering trying to keep moving sometimes, then, finally when I can just be still and enjoy the warm or adjust to the cold, someone will interrupt and I get back to shivering. Oh of course it is just fine they interrupt, lol, but, I practically live in the desert and thrive in the hot climate. So a hoodie isn't unusual on me in 75 f degree weather. It's like what in the 40's degree f. there? I'd be bundled too. I like this picture, because it reminded me of how genuinely caring and patient you just have to be to put up with some things, sometimes. Thank goodness for thermafleece. I have found laying off the caffeine does make a difference, but not much. Either way, hot,cold,chilly or warm my hands are just going to tinge a little purplish. The Queen isn't doing it in this photo, but she has in others, it isn't old age or ill health, really, it's just normal low b.p. I see her ankles, there is a musle right there and it looks not like swelling on her. I don't get swollen ankles. People do get really concerned over unknown things, even dratted confused. I hope they will be less concerned and more confident nothing is up with her other than being amazingly fit and healthy. I don't drink alcohol, haven't since I was 22. She doesn't look like a drinker. Perhaps I'll live to see her age as fit as she is.
Old 05-17-2015, 04:07 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryce View Post
It looks as though the newly elected Prime Minister presents a courteous neck bow to the PofW when meeting for the VE Day Parade.

I think he might get a lot of letters from veterans if he didn't??!!??
I'm old school. I'm all for bows and curtsies. Zara for example curtsies to the Queen but will she curtsey to Charles when he's King. I hope so but we don't know. Of course PMs will continue to bow and curtsey
Old 05-18-2015, 10:27 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
I'm old school. I'm all for bows and curtsies. Zara for example curtsies to the Queen but will she curtsey to Charles when he's King. I hope so but we don't know. Of course PMs will continue to bow and curtsey
I think that Zara and the rest of the Royal Family will continue with their "greeting rituals" - especially with Prince Charles as they have a strong and warm relationship. I think Zara was brought-up to be respectful of others and she would do so without thinking anything of it. Sure she had her wild side (tongue piercing comes to mind), but I can see her, and her cousins, continuing their family greetings - especially those who grew up during the life of Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	a - a chas.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	294971  
Old 05-18-2015, 10:39 AM
Gentry

As a bit of a follow-up...

Here is a great picture of Prince Harry greeting his Chatto male cousins with a kiss at the 10th anniversary service for the passing of The Queen Mother.

These guys are second cousins and greet each other in such a warm fashion.

We often see Princes Harry and William greet their father and grandfather in the same way.

I say good for them... the world can do with a little more respect !
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	a - a Har.jpg
Views:	810
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	294972   Click image for larger version

Name:	a - a Har 1.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	294973   Click image for larger version

Name:	a - a Har 2.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	294974  
Old 05-18-2015, 11:01 AM
Heir Presumptive

Remind me again...Chatto are the grandchildren (or great?) from Princess Margaret yes?

LaRae
Old 05-18-2015, 11:08 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Remind me again...Chatto are the grandchildren (or great?) from Princess Margaret yes?

LaRae
Yes, P.Margaret's daughter Sarah is married to Daniel Chatto, their children were born in the late 90's
Old 05-18-2015, 11:09 AM
Gentry

Samuel (b.1996) and Arthur (b. 1999) Chatto are the sons of Lady Sarah Armstrong-Jones and her husband Daniel Chatto and are therefore grandchildren of the Late Princess Margaret.

Her other grandchildren from Viscount & Vicountess Linley, are also in the picture - Charles (b.1999) and Margarita Armstrong-Jones (b.2002)
Old 05-18-2015, 11:16 AM
Heir Presumptive

Ah so quite a bit younger than W&H even though of the same generation (2nd cousins). Nice to see that they have warmth between then.

LaRae
Old 05-18-2015, 11:19 AM
Heir Apparent

Bowing and Curtseying

Both of the Chatto boys and their cousin Charles Armstrong-Jones were pages of honor to the Queen and of course Margarita Armstrong Jones was in her cousin's William's wedding party.

The Chatto and Linleys are usually at Sandringham every other year for Christmas. David and Sarah spent a lot of their holiday time with the Queen's family growing up.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community