The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-13-2015, 07:30 PM
Heir Apparent

Bowing and Curtseying

The very young such as George or Mia aren't going to be bowing or curtseying as toddlers but as they become more older they are going to see their parents doing and would follow suit.

The Queen's children and grandchildren bow and curtesy to her and Philip and that will continue with Charles and Camilla and then with William and Catherine. It's the crown not the person that they are bowing to. The consort is the highest ranked male or female in the order of precedence

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Old 05-13-2015, 10:00 PM
Royal Highness

While I understand bowing to the Queen I don't understand bowing to the consort.

Old 05-13-2015, 10:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
Would they bow for their mother Diana, as Queen? It is so very unnatural.
Quote:
The Queen-Consort does not represent the Crown. She has no any constitutional power other than being the spouse of the King. Thinking what a sort of hands-on mother Diana was (and the sort of father Charles is) it would not surprise me when the King requests his sons not to bow to him.
What?

Okay, first of all, members of the BRF and the extended family bow and curtsey to the sovereign, the sovereign's consort, and the dowager consorts. I'm sure it doesn't happen in private, but we've seen it happen in public - we've seen Charles, William, Harry, etc, and their spouses all bow or curtsey to the Queen and DoE (and the Queen Mum when she was still alive). Why would we expect things to be any different under a new monarch?

Second of all, what does Diana have to do with it? Diana has been dead for nearly 20 years. Even before she died she wasn't going to become Queen Consort, her divorce assured that. Had she became Queen Consort during the relatively short period of time that she was married to the Prince of Wales then yes, her children would have bowed before her - as would her in-laws. It has nothing to do with how hands on of a parent she was. Further, regardless of what her opinion of the matter would have been, Charles is a man who has spent his whole life bowing to the monarch and there's no reason to believe he won't continue this tradition.
Old 05-13-2015, 10:28 PM
Royal Highness

Yes I get the bowing to Queen or King. A consort is not royal they have married a royal. They are not the crown.

Old 05-13-2015, 10:34 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
What?

Okay, first of all, members of the BRF and the extended family bow and curtsey to the sovereign, the sovereign's consort, and the dowager consorts. I'm sure it doesn't happen in private, but we've seen it happen in public - we've seen Charles, William, Harry, etc, and their spouses all bow or curtsey to the Queen and DoE (and the Queen Mum when she was still alive). Why would we expect things to be any different under a new monarch?

Second of all, what does Diana have to do with it? Diana has been dead for nearly 20 years. Even before she died she wasn't going to become Queen Consort, her divorce assured that. Had she became Queen Consort during the relatively short period of time that she was married to the Prince of Wales then yes, her children would have bowed before her - as would her in-laws. It has nothing to do with how hands on of a parent she was. Further, regardless of what her opinion of the matter would have been, Charles is a man who has spent his whole life bowing to the monarch and there's no reason to believe he won't continue this tradition.

Is it Diana-time again? Lol here we go...

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 05-13-2015, 10:58 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rob View Post
Yes I get the bowing to Queen or King. A consort is not royal they have married a royal. They are not the crown.
Actually Philip is HRH Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh so I would think that would denote him as royalty. Even before marriage, he was royal as Prince Philip of Greece and Denmark by birth.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 05-13-2015, 11:13 PM
Royal Highness

Phillip may be royal but Camilla's not Kate's not and if things go as planed people will have to bow to them. Why ? They married a royal !
Old 05-13-2015, 11:56 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-Z View Post
oh...the hugging... i vividly remember going in for a handshake with a US person i had met that day, and them going in for a hug... ... hand got trapped somewhere in the middle (won't happen again )
Yep, definitely many cultural differences, also between monarchies, one is very different from another
It's a bit of a shocker getting squeezed by a stranger. I'm quite happy to shake hands or even courtsey, just keep outside my personal space!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darnius View Post
The Duchess of Cornwall curtsied to the Queen yesterday.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/...1521955590.jpg
She didn't just courtsey, she followed that with the BRF norm, a peck on both cheeks.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/...1522511362.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/...1522524762.jpg
Old 05-14-2015, 12:04 AM
Royal Highness

"

She didn't just courtsey, she followed that with the BRF norm, a peck on both cheeks. "
Throw in a secret handshake and you would all base's covered 💐

Old 05-14-2015, 01:56 AM
Heir Apparent

The argument "he (she) has always bowed so why would he (she) end that tradition" of course counts for all royal courts. Name them all: the bow, the révérence, the backwards leaving the room: at many Courts all this has been scrapped because it was felt as an unneccessary hindrance in human relations.

Note that also in the United Kingdom a bow or a révérence is always optional and a handshake will do perfectly. When this is an option for you and for me, then it should also be optional for William and Harry towards their father and (step)mother. It should also be optional for Prince George and Princess Charlotte. It would really not surprise me when King Charles insists on his sons: "Come on, I am your dad!" and requests them to act normal towards him.
Old 05-14-2015, 05:34 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
It would really not surprise me when King Charles insists on his sons: "Come on, I am your dad!" and requests them to act normal towards him.
So bowing is "abnormal"? I get the opinion that for the BRF it's very normal to bow or curtsey to the Queen or the DoE and we often seen (like Camilla did recently, but i've also seen it from William and Harry) to first do the formal bow and then give her a kiss on the cheek.
Every family has it's own "normal" ways (both royal and non-royal) that are sometimes strange to others; but does that mean that they should stop doing it just because "everyone else it differently"?

And besides, in loads of threads we complain of the lack of respect shown to royals and when this family does use a formal sign of respect they should stop?

I like that there are different customs in different countries and families and wouldn't want to see them being all the same
Old 05-14-2015, 05:54 AM
Heir Apparent

Bowing and Curtseying

It's optional for the members of the immediate royal family, they just choose to do it. I would imagine the first time that your family bows to you as the monarch really hits home for the person that it has happen.

Old 05-14-2015, 07:56 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-Z View Post
So bowing is "abnormal"?
Requesting his sons to act normal is not the same as laying the word 'abnormal' in my mouth. But now you have taken the effort to write down the word "abnormal"... The word means: not according the norm, not according the usual standard. In this respect, yes: bowing is abnormal indeed. If it was "normal" we would not dedicate a special thread to that on the Royal Forums.

Old 05-14-2015, 08:26 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Gracious as always but a bit strange, it is her very own mother-in-law. I can not imagine William and Harry bowing to their father when he is King.
I am pretty sure they will. That is the protocol in the UK, unless Charles changes it.
Old 05-14-2015, 08:54 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
I am pretty sure they will. That is the protocol in the UK, unless Charles changes it.
Exactly. That was my point. I expect a change. Other posters think nothing will change. Note that even under the "unchangeable" Elizabeth II a lot has changed. The backward walking has been scrapped, that the obligatory révérence or bow has been made optional, that the strict dresscode has been changed into more options, as we can see evoluing in the State Openings, Garden Parties and Troopings through the decades.

We will see how it turns out.
Old 05-14-2015, 08:55 AM
Heir Apparent

Charles bows to his parents and to his grandmother when she was alive. The Queen is still his mother. So Charles is William & Harry's father but he will be their King and they will treat him like they do now with Granny a bow and then a kiss.

Old 05-14-2015, 09:13 AM
Imperial Majesty

Yes, when Charles is King, William and Harry and all members of the royal family will bow and curtsy to the King and Princess Consort/Queen. That's just how it is and it's not going to change.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 05-15-2015, 03:40 AM

My first post on the forum. Please be kind.

I recently saw a video of the recessional of the coronation of HM King George VI and HM Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother where the ladies in the royal box all performed a curtsey as the King passed. Those in the box that curtsied included HM Queen Mary (HM's Mother), HM Queen Maud of Norway (HM's Aunt, HM King Haakon VII was not present) and the King's children.

I remember reading somewhere of a consort (whom I believe may have been HM Queen Mary) saying of her children, "I must remember their Father is also their King". Along those lines, it is not really unnatural for children (or siblings and even parents) to curtsey before the sovereign. The obeisance would not to a parent or elder but to the crown.
Old 05-15-2015, 05:06 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Yes, when Charles is King, William and Harry and all members of the royal family will bow and curtsy to the King and Princess Consort/Queen. That's just how it is and it's not going to change.
How do you know? Did you ask him?

Old 05-15-2015, 07:09 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
I can not imagine William and Harry bowing to their father when he is King.
First that man carried them in his hands when they were small, played with them and hugged them. And then they will have to formally bow to him as they are nothing more than his subjects. Yes, I understand it's just a formality but why monarch's children can't be more informal?