Bowing and Curtseying

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
MargreteI said:
Well, I am 100% sure. They are descrendants of Georg I of Greece (Prince Vilhelm) who took over the less then stabile throne in Greece. Recognizing this King Christian IX (his father) made sure the title "Prince of Denmark" would follow his descrendants once Vilhelm took over the unstabile throne in Greece. Constantine is a descrendant of King Christian IX and therefore he is Prince of Denmark in his own right, though he does not have a claim to the throne.

They also carry danish diplomat passports without being danish citizens. That is unusual and requires some sort of rank.

Alas, you are 100% wrong. By the 1953 Act of Succession, Part II Section 9 of the Danish Constitution of 5 June 1953, the right of succession is limited to descendants of King Christian X and Queen Alexandrine. Also the Salic Law was eliminated allowing women to accede to the throne. All this was done because King Frederick IX had no male issue. The Danish Constitution also provides that members without rights to succession are NO MORE princes or princesses to (TIL) Denmark.
Thus, ALL Greek, Norwegian and British royalty lost their rights to the Danish throne. However, because they were left with the title, they are called out of courtesy alone, princes or princesses from/of AF Denmark.
So, former King Constantine of Greece for example retains the title of prince AF Denmark, while, say, Prince Joachim is prince TIL Denmark.
King Constantine's children's are neither TIL nor AF Denmark, they are NOTHING.

Does anyone know if the status of Imperial Highness is recognized among the current royals as being superior to Royal Highness? Early in this thread there was a picture of (then) HIH Princess Nori of Japan curtseying to HRH the Prince Consort of Denmark, as would be natural for a consort, but what about "lesser" royals? Would HRH Prince Joachim of Denmark bow to HIH Prince Akishino of Japan?

Philippe Egalite' said:
Alas, you are 100% wrong. By the 1953 Act of Succession, Part II Section 9 of the Danish Constitution of 5 June 1953, the right of succession is limited to descendants of King Christian X and Queen Alexandrine. Also the Salic Law was eliminated allowing women to accede to the throne. All this was done because King Frederick IX had no male issue. The Danish Constitution also provides that members without rights to succession are NO MORE princes or princesses to (TIL) Denmark.
Thus, ALL Greek, Norwegian and British royalty lost their rights to the Danish throne. However, because they were left with the title, they are called out of courtesy alone, princes or princesses from/of AF Denmark.
So, former King Constantine of Greece for example retains the title of prince AF Denmark, while, say, Prince Joachim is prince TIL Denmark.
King Constantine's children's are neither TIL nor AF Denmark, they are NOTHING.

Read the Danish Constitution and the Act of Succession because it is obvious you think something is in there, that really cant be found in eighter of them.

What you say is, that you know better then the Ministry of Justice, The Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the parliament and the Queen alltogether and somehow I just do not believe you do.

They are often titled Princes and Princessess of Greece and Denmark and I respect it when the Greeks or others dispute that they are Princes or Princesses of Greece which is a republic. However when you start to dispute whether or not they are Princes or Princesses of Denmark it is out of line. You can not change their status in Denmark based on your desire or opinion !

banda_windsor said:
I understand that every Queen Consort have the same rank, and they don't have to curtsey to each other, even to the monarch. But look at this pic,

Queen Nur Zahira of Malaysia and Queen Saleha of Brunei

The Queen of Malaysia was curtseying and kissing Queen of Brunei's hand. Is that appropriate?

perhaps it has to do with the fact that queen saleha has been in the throne for way longer than queen nur? i'm not sure why she is curtseying otherwise.

carlota said:
perhaps it has to do with the fact that queen saleha has been in the throne for way longer than queen nur? i'm not sure why she is curtseying otherwise.

Probably. But it's just very unusual to see a queen curtseying to other queen.

Btw, i have a question. Does a Queen have to curtsey when she meet Dowager Queen or Queen Mother??

banda_windsor said:
I understand that every Queen Consort have the same rank, and they don't have to curtsey to each other, even to the monarch. But look at this pic,

Queen Nur Zahira of Malaysia and Queen Saleha of Brunei

The Queen of Malaysia was curtseying and kissing Queen of Brunei's hand. Is that appropriate?

This is only a suggestion, perhaps it has something to do with the elected monarchy in Malasyia, therefore she is only Queen for a while?:ermm:

andrew said:
http://img372.imageshack.us/img372/7...denmarkvw7.jpg

I think QMII was making the sign of the cross in the orthodox style-given the fact that the late empress was orthodox. When orthodox make the sign of the cross they first touch the ground.

I believe that this is a very deep and reverential curtsey, not making the sign of the cross. Her Majesty made a very deep curtsey like this at the funeral of Her Late Majesty Queen Elizabeth, The Queen Mother. (This is very clearly seen on the BBC coverage of the Funeral in 2002)

I think you're right RoyalProtocol. Queen Margrethe wouldn't make the sign of the cross unless she was Orthodox and if she was, she would have done it three times.

Do the children of royal families curtsey every time they see their mother and father????
I could not imagine Princess Anne every time she sees her mother she has to curtsey to her.

Indeed they do. Princess Anne, as with other female Royals, kisses the Queen on each cheek and then curtseys. She also refers to the Queen as "The Queen" and not as "Mummy" or "My Mother". It's protocol.

I guess I was not clear enough; I meant in the privacy of their homes. I can see doing it at royal functions and in public gatherings as it would be protocol as you said

Yup. They still do it in private. We saw it quite alot during "Elizabeth R", a series on the Royal Family from the 80s (?). There's footage around that shows a Royal birthday party, I think for the Queen Mother, and when people greet the Queen they kiss her on each cheek and then either bow or curtsey. It seems it's the same in private as in public.

Every time I see this picture, I think how very elegantly MM made her courtsey. If I am correct, this meeting took place before MM's marriage, so the difference in their rank was extremely great. It may be that, as a CPss, it would not be necessary to be courtseying so low. On the other hand, there is the great difference in age and experience, so maybe it would still be a polite thing to do.

Princess Mette-Marit looks very regal courtseying Elizabeth II.

I also think that courtseying a person is not to be submited to him/her, but only a way to show respect to this person. Anyone would said that Elizabeth II is better than Norway Crownprincess as a person. A peasant could be better than a Royal as a person, that's easily understable and nobody should deny it. But respect is a good thing , I suppose and anyone will be harm just to bow in front of a Queen or a King.Bowing before other persons will not make yourself a fool, keep your intelligence away or just shows that you have a bondage relationship with the person you courtsey. Quite the opposite. You will be so sure of yourself that you are ready to bow in front of anyone.

Vanesa.

After Mette Marit curtseyed to QE2 did she kiss her?

After Mette Marit curtseyed to QE2 did she kiss her?

Doubtful especially as Mette Marit was still a commoner during this meeting. I think only the Queen's relatives may kiss her (a la Ernst August, but not Caroline of Hanover).

Mette Marit really performs the most graceful curtsy, she went down almost as far when she met HM is london in 2005, though she was heavily pregnant at the time.

I was wondering what does a person do who is unable to curtsy? Say, for example, a woman with multiple sclerosis or in a wheelchair.

Is there an appropriate thing to do in those circumstances?

I don't know if these have been posted yet but I thought I would share.

A Royal Protocol
Princess Diana curtsies to The Queen as she arrives to a royal banquet, in 1991.

Curtsey
Princess Diana curtsies to Empress Michiko upon her arrival at the Imperial Palace in Tokyo in 1995.

I was wondering what does a person do who is unable to curtsy? Say, for example, a woman with multiple sclerosis or in a wheelchair.

Is there an appropriate thing to do in those circumstances?

I would imagine that most royals would neither expect a curtsey nor be offended by a lack of one from someone who was physically unable to do so and would probably appreciate any kind gesture to the best of the persons ability.

Back
Top Bottom