The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-03-2006, 03:07 PM
Courtier

Maybe she was showing her gratitude to the public...when did this happen?

Old 10-03-2006, 03:22 PM
Heir Apparent

It looks like the Queen was on the stage.
Well, MII is not only a Queen but a good artist too - painter, translator and designer too As Ingahild Grathmer she does the Danish edition of The Lord of the Ring, as designer she designed some of her own clothes and for the art show. Margrethe has many art shows.

Old 10-03-2006, 03:29 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelD
QMII's long-term friend, Susanne Heering, runs a ballet school at Næstved and QMII has for many years helped her with the annual student performance - doing drawings for the costumes and also some scenography I think.

This picture must be from one of these annual events
Old 10-03-2006, 03:38 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelD
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnik
It looks like the Queen was on the stage.
Well, MII is not only a Queen but an artist - painter, translator and designer too
The Queen is an artist to in various areas.

Painting with watercolours and making exhibitions, decoupage, illustrated the book Lord of the rings, making scenery for theater as well as costumes ect.

On rare occations when she, like everybody else, has been called on stage she makes courtesy to the audience.

I thought the picture below was from her making costimes for the Royal Theater "Et Folkesagn" (A people tale), but its not. It from a friends ballet school season ending. She must have designed something. Can't read the full article without signing up. So she must have done it at least twice.
Old 10-14-2006, 10:11 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Does anyone have a photo of a prince bowing to a king? We have seen M-F, F-F and F-M but no M-M. Do they just bow or shake hands and bob their heads???
This was the best I could do (I have been looking for awhile) it is from the King of Thailand Jubillee. If anyone wants to see more pictures about bowing and curtseying that is a good place to look because there were two galas and tons of pictures (and should you ever met purple platinum you should bow to her )

posted by Purple Platinum
http://img141.imagevenue.com/img.php...458_537454.jpg
Old 10-21-2006, 04:10 AM
Serene Highness

Some Nice pictures:

I. Cristina curtseying to J-C

Princess Diana cursteying to ?
(interesting picture )

I think that lady is Sophie countess of Wessex courtseing on 100 birthday of queen Mum

pictures from profimedia
Old 10-21-2006, 04:15 PM
Courtier

I thought for a moment that she was practicing or something, she reminded me of Mr.Bean when he was getting ready to meet the queen
Old 10-23-2006, 05:19 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRH Elizabeth
While I agree most Americans would probably not curtsey or bow, I'm reminded of Jackie Kennedy. When she and her husband visited Britain, she tried to curtsey to the Duke of Edinburgh, and was told by an aide that the wives of heads of state never curtsey. However, some time later, at the funeral of her husband, at which the Duke was present, she again curtseyed to him, and when he asked, she told him she was no longer the wife of a head of state.
Great anecdote! Jackie Kennedy...probably the most graceful American to have ever graced this planet (on a side note, I'd put Jackie next to Grace Kelly but she became the Princess of Monaco and therefore not America...and next to Audrey Hepburn but she was a British citizen, I believe, who was born in Belgium). Jackie's choice to bow to the Duke of Edinburgh might have been wrong by protocol but was nonetheless very respectful and classy of her to do, IMHO.

As a Canadian, I would not hesitate to curtsey to HM The Queen or any member of the royal family, but I also don't feel that I have to, and I think that's important. Curtseying is a choice each individual can choose to do or not to do, and it's no big deal for us commoners not to. It's probably a much "bigger deal" if I was a royal and I chose not to curtsey to a higher level royal, but no one is going to judge a commoner for not bowing or curtseying.
Old 10-25-2006, 12:25 AM
Royal Highness
TRF Author

I'm from a Republican country. However, I will courtesy and bow before a Royal. Why not? It is a showing of I'm respecting him or her and its is not anything bad to respect a person. I'm not less "free" for bowing, I think (and I'm a Monarchist, so... No problem at all... ).

I loved Jackie Kennedy's anecdote. She was a lady. Truly.

Vanesa.
Old 10-25-2006, 12:40 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by mims111
I think that lady is Sophie countess of Wessex courtseing on 100 birthday of queen Mum
Correct. And Lady Sarah who has a very deep curtsy indeed.
Old 10-25-2006, 11:56 AM
Aristocracy

I don't have a problem curtseying to royalty and I dont see it as anything more then a token of respect mixed with tradition and I am quite sure the royals practise it alot more through their lives then I ever will. If they can do it, I can do it.
Old 10-25-2006, 12:14 PM
Gentry

I don't like the curtsy. I think it's out dated and a bit demeaning. I nod of the head is more than sufficient to show respect. I really dislike family members bowing to other family members such as Christina, Elena and Letizia bowing to King Juan Carlos. It's family! It just drives me up the wall.
Old 10-25-2006, 01:02 PM
Heir Apparent

Just a question. As Prince Philip is not a monarch, but the spouse/consort of a monarch, should he bow to Kings and Queens (although, obviously not to his wife.)?
Old 10-25-2006, 01:19 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Norway & Spain
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress
Just a question. As Prince Philip is not a monarch, but the spouse/consort of a monarch, should he bow to Kings and Queens (although, obviously not to his wife.)?
Yeah, I would like to know that, too...
Well, I saw pictures of the Queen and Phillip welcoming Harald V. and Sonja of Norway... There were just shake-hands and kisses...

Old 10-25-2006, 01:36 PM
Courtier

Quote:
No, consort don't bow to other monarchs or there consorts.

Prince Philip did bow to his wife at her coronation however.

Map for the British Royals
Old 10-25-2006, 04:26 PM
Aristocracy

I have got the impression that royals should be curtsied only by their own subjects - and not always by them either. For example, if the American president visits the Queen, the British ladies of the entourage who greet her curtsy, the Americans don't. Similarly, Swedish people don't curtsy to Norwegian royals. Citizens of republic countries curtsy to no one, not even to their own president.
Old 10-27-2006, 05:27 PM

[Princess Diana cursteying to ?
(interesting picture )]quote

I don't understand this at all, I have saw video footage of this picture during the visiti of the King of Thailand? in the 1990's and I don't understand why they would curtsey to each other?

God Save The Queen!

Old 10-27-2006, 05:34 PM
Heir Apparent

The lady in blue curtsey to the Princess of Wales.
The Princess curtsey becouse she thought that this lady was a Queen or smth like that.
Old 10-27-2006, 05:40 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by politikgirl
...and next to Audrey Hepburn but she was a British citizen, I believe, who was born in Belgium).
not that it matters for this thread, but as a dutchman I have to add that Audrey's mother was Dutch, a Baroness van Heemstra (Old Frisian Nobility, many of them served at the court).
Old 10-31-2006, 01:52 AM
Serene Highness

I am American and my mom grew up in the Caribbean while the island was still a British territory. Due to my love of royalty, I would without a doubt curtsey to any royal.

A side note: in the recent movie Marie Antoinette, I loved Kirsten Dunst's curtsey. She curtsied with one arm extended to the side and the other hand placed in front of her chest. If I can find a movie still, I will post it. That is exactly how I would curtsey. I also like how CP Mary curtsied to Queen Margrethe the week of the wedding by grasping both her hands and bowing deeply.

"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife" Pride and Prejudice